Grange Holborn Hotel (The)

50-60 Southampton Row, London, WC1B 4AR, United Kingdom

Tags

Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Business Travel Luxury Travel
See Amenities
Djinn76's Profile Photo

Expensive hotel in the center

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 1, 2007

I've stayed twice at this hotel so far, each time for business!
Thanks god, I was not paying by myself, it is bloody expensive! Even if the hotel was good in general, I found the ratio price/quality a bit disappointing.
The room was big but filled in with two huge double-beds, staying there alone, it was not making too much sense to me...
...not much space left for the armchairs and the small desk!
Comparatively to the room, the bathroom was really small but the minimum was there...

Couple of magazines were available, always useful when you have to take your lunch alone in the restaurant!

Quite amazing, there is a swimming pool as well but I haven't got the time to enjoy it!

**update** NEVER AGAIN!!! I was supposed to stay there a third time but they overbooked me!! They downgraded me to a second class hotel in a nearby street! I have been dropped in a dark tiny smoky room in the basement!! According to the taxi driver, I'm not the first one!!

Unique Quality: The restaurant provides good food at a reasonable price!

The hotel is perfectly located, right in the center, really close to a tube station.

Directions: Holborne tube station

Swou's Profile Photo

Ok, except fairly expensive

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 7, 2006

My husband and I have stayed in this hotel a couple of times, for periods of about 3-4 days. We enjoy the relative calmness of the neighborhood it's in (mostly offices), and the fact it's within walking distance of main shopping streets. The price is elevated though, especially if you're staying during the week. Although the deco is slightly outdated, I thought it was worth the price, as I'd much rather pay more for an upper scale hotel than being stuck in a seedy hotel somewhere strange.

I have the impression this hotel is used mainly by business people.

Unique Quality: You must try their english breakfast buffet, divine:)

Directions: the limit of West End and The City

mazzap's Profile Photo

Perfect for a City of London Stopover

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 8, 2006

Stayed here just 1 night & couldn't fault the service in any way. The rooms are not huge, & the bathroom is cramped, but everything in them is clean, smart & fresh.

We booked a few weeks ahead through laterooms.com with no problems. At £95 for a double room with breakfast (note, breakfast only included in the price at weekends), the rate was very reasonable. On some other websites the cost was almost double so best to check out a few before booking!

Located a few minutes walk from Holborn Underground station & within walking distance to the West End of London.

Unique Quality: The hotel earns it's 5 stars by providing a state-of-the-art Conference & Events Centre, Health & Fitness Club with luxury swimming pool, sauna, steam room, gym & therapy and beauty suites (sadly didn't have time to use the facilities but they all looked lovely!)

There are 2 restaurants within the hotel serving both Japanese & International cuisine. Many other places to eat & drink can be found very close by.

YPie's Profile Photo

Very plush

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 6, 2004

I stayed here on business in June 2004. For me, the main advantage was the location as it was handy for both Kings Cross station and the offices I was visiting on Holborn.

To be perfectly honest, I didn't spend a great deal of time either in my room or in the other hotel facilities. This is my big gripe when I stay in business hotels. They're very plush and have lots of facilities, but when on earth am I meant to get time to use them?!

I did get a good night's sleep though, and didn't find any problems with the room, the service or anything else in the hotel. My rate didn't include breakfast though, which is a bit disappointing when you're paying £150 per night (or it would have been had I actually been paying!). The hotel has a gym and a swimming pool which is a bonus, particularly in London, but having been dragged out for a meal with my boss I didn't get the chance to use them.

I wasn't bowled over by the experience, but it was far from the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. And I'm staying in another Grange hotel in London this weekend (September 10th) and even paying for it myself, so they must have made a decent impression on me! Mind you, it may have had something to do with getting a really good deal on it...

Unique Quality: It has a pool and a gym, and all the corporate facilities you'd expect. But I don't know whether it has a "soul".

Add to your Trip Planner

Nearby Grange Holborn Hotel (The)

Grange Holborn Hotel (The)

• Grange Holborn Hotel
  • Grange Holborn London
  • Hotel Grange Holborn

Address: 50-60 Southampton Row, London, WC1B 4AR, United Kingdom

10 Photos of Grange Holborn Hotel (The)

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Grange Holborn Hotel (The)

• Restaurant
  • Spa
  • Business Services
  • Suites

London Travel Forum

Need advice about London, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for London and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest London hotel reviews

Combined Suggestions
Souvenirs
Hard Rock Cafe
Restaurants
Public Transport (not taxis)
Pret à Manger
Winter Sports
Tour buses
London Dungeon
Tourist Traps
The All England Lawn Tennis Club (Wimbledon)