VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Holiday Inn London-Camden Lock

Tags

Luxury Travel Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Business Travel
See Amenities

Barbarian Reception Supervisor

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 22, 2014

I have to say I have never experienced such a torrent of abuse from a general manager as I have at the Holiday Inn Camden lock hotel. When departing I gave a few snippets of constructive feedback when 'asked' if I’d enjoyed my stay by the receptionist. I was immediately interrupted and treated with such contempt by the Reception Supervisor.

He informed me that despite staying in his hotel for nearly two years that Camden was a lively area and what was I to expect! Music was going on beyond the midnight hours from the function room below and despite now having a headache when drifting off I was treated to a cacophony of drunken louts singing/shouting under my window. yet I was to blame? He did very little to assure me that my experience was of any concern to him and instead challenged each concern I raised with bitter arrogance. I was more than satisfied to return to this hotel before this diatribe and before he informed me it would be best if I stay elsewhere and after this horrendous experience I will be doing exactly that!

I contacted IHG head office through facebook and after 4 days heard nothing so messaged through their rewards scheme facebook and got an immediate response, a sense of relief that they would look into the intimidating and disgusting behavior of their general manager, sadly they did not reassure me instead stating they had logged my concern and as of yet nobody has contacted me to explain what it is they intend to do to assure me to use their hotels again.

american_tourister's Profile Photo

Way groovy location!

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 11, 2012

We are using ICH points to stay here during the Olympics in August 2012. I was able to grab a couple of days here on a business trip to check out the hotel and the area before our trip. this way, very few surprises.

I had a hellacious flight with 2 diversions and an overnight stay in Newark, NJ of all friggin places. I arrived very late at night and found that there had been a power outage. They could not reference my reservation in their computer nor make me a room key as everything was down. What they did though was steer me to the bar where I quickly downed a few pints of cider. After a few minutes one of the bellmen came in with some Dominos Pizza for all the folks at the bar. Seems the computer and power outage had jacked up the kitchen too so the Hotel Night Manager ordered pizza to serve his hungry guests. When I was ready the bellman walked me upstairs and let me in my room with his pass key.

I can't say enough about the staff. They are mostly Hungarian and they were stoked that I knew a few words in their language as most Americans don't. They were actually interested to hear how I had worked in Kaposvar for the US Army.

Upon checking out the desk manager comped all my extra charges including internet and minibar as an apology for the power problems. HI did not cause the outage but they took steps to make sure the guests were made as comfy as possible. This I won't forget and I am really looking forward to staying there again come this August.

Unique Quality: Really cool location right in the middle of the very trendy Camden area. Didn't see an celebrities but after living in SoCal for so long I really don't look for them.

Directions: Right next door to CBS outdoors and on the Camden Lock itself.

misodiva's Profile Photo

Very nice decor

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 17, 2008

The hotel had nice clean modernist decor. Room was smallish, but had desk, mini-bar. There is a pillow menu you can order feather, etc. The mini-bar was automatic charge, but there was a bit of room on the top to put a few of your own items. Not as many snacks in the mini-bar as the states. Internet access is not free anywhere in the hotel, including the business center. You can buy a voucher for 4 pounds 1 hr, 8 pounds 4 hours, 15 pounds 24 hours. And it is only a charge for the time you are logged in. The breakfast was convient and 12 pounds.

The area is very studenty lots of clubs, bars, punky type shops. The Camden Market wasn't really worth the bother. But the walk to the tube station was super quick. There is a bar across the street that is loud on that side, but closes fairly early. There are two pubs at the corner of the cross street you can walk to.

The room got a bit hot, didn't want to use the air-conditioning (which worked fine), so we kept the door open a bit to cool things off. The lobby was comfortable. The business center had 2 computers you could use if you bought internet credit.

THe fitness center was 3 modern machines, but was empty every time I used it and was perfectly fine.

Elainehead's Profile Photo

Nicest hotel room I have ever stayed

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 7, 2004

I chose this hotel for its location, then I found a good price (for its 4-star category. We paid £ 80/night VAT included) using the Hotel Reservation Service (HRS) site. Besides, on the HRS site, I could book my room without giving my credit card number.
The hotel is located in Camden Town.
Our standard room was # 108 (non-smoking, 1st floor) viewing the side and part of the back of Viacom building, and a bit of Regents Park Canal . It was a small double-bed room very well-equipped and very clean. More facilities info at: http://www.holidayinncamden.co.uk/accomodation.html
The bathroom was a bit small (if you want a photo of it, e-mail me). No need to bring soap and shampoo. Dove Liquid Soap and Lux Shampoo & Body Soap available.

Unique Quality: Great location. Great facilities. Very clean room.

Directions: Two blocks from the Camden Town Tube Station. There is a Wagamama restaurant (chek my restaurants' tips) just across the hotel.

Nearby Holiday Inn London-Camden Lock

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Airport Transportation

London Travel Forum

Need advice about London, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for London and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest London hotel reviews

Money Matters
Getting around
Train / Bus Stations
Transportation
Docklands Light Railway (DLR)
Food and Drink