The Tophams Hotel Belgravia

Tags

Food and Dining Zoo Trains
See Amenities

Not a "luxury 4 star Hotel

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 10, 2011

I very rarely write reviews, however, due to how bad our stay was I felt it necessary. Unlike many reviews I will start on the positive, the staff were more than helpful, they did all they could unfortunately they are not empowered to give refunds.

Our room was average and we were woken at 06:00am from noise above, the rooms were small but fine for the single night we were there if we had actually slept! I would not stay here again an am awaiting a response from the management! Surely it is only natural to assume one will sleep at a hotel, not here!!

Unique Quality: None!!

Add to your Trip Planner

we must have got lucky!

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 2, 2010

My husband booked this hotel for an overnight trip to the theatre. It was extremely convenient as we were seeing Wicked at the Apollo Victoria (well worth going to see - it's fab!). After reading the reviews of this hotel we were seriously worried and resigned ourselves to the fact that we may have to cut our losses and stay elsewhere if the accomodation was as bad as reported. However, we were very pleasantly surprised! The reception area is compact but gorgeous and check-in was efficient and hassle-free. We had room number one which is on the ground floor of the main building. It was small but clean and very nicely furnished (as per their website) with a double bed, desk and chair, flat screen tv and tea/coffee making facilities. The bathroom was compact but sufficient for an overnight stay with very nice neutrogena toiletries supplied. We found the receptionists to be very helpful and they assisted us with finding a restaurant on the internet when we had forgotten to bring the details with us. On returning from our evening out they were friendly and asked us if we had enjoyed the show etc. and provided fresh milk without hassle on our request for tea etc. I would definitely stay here again but would ensure that a room in the main building was allocated if the other reviews on here are anything to go by.

Unique Quality: Great location, great price for London, cosy room very comfortably furnished

Directions: less than 10 minute walk from Victoria tube, bus and train stations
close to Buckingham Palace and theatres for Billy Elliot and Wicked musicals

Add to your Trip Planner
MariannSolihull Feb 25, 2013 at 10:27 AM

THIS IS NOT 4STAR!!!
Had booked a single and was given room H1 in building down the road: very tiny, desk was a small triangle shaped plank, too small for chair to fit, no bedside table, no light by bed, curtains didn't close fully, no minibar, no hairdryer, no safe (as advertised on their website). Ensuite was an old caravan-cubicle (triangle size shower plugged into washbasin with old shower curtain, no sanitary bin, floor space too small even for a towel to fit on the floor, no shaver point), trip-up step from bedroom into caravan-cubicle, no aircon, window doesn't open,only 1 pillow, no extra blanket, no fire escape route shown. Wardrobe is cheaper than Ikea with two legs missing and leaning against wall.
I complained but told I could not have another room until my second night.
Next night put into room 209 on second floor (no lift): no ensuite, bathroom down corridor and up flight of stairs, No minibar,no iron/ironboad, no safe, no hairdryer, missing lightbulb, missing teaspoon to make instant coffee, only one pillow, no desk, no pen, no writing paper, no tv remote, TV was missing lead and did not work at all. Not at all like photos on their website.
I complained and was given room 5 on ground floor, apparently the Junior Suite that the "director is prepared to give up for you. He usually uses this room." By now it was 11pm and II was made to feel guilty for wanting a room that was as per their website. This so called Junior Suite (double room) had again no iron/ironboard, no hairdryer (I asked and was repeatedly promised one but I ended up going to my morning meeting with wet hair. I don't think the entire hotel has even one). Only 1 coathanger (for a double room!). This room had a minibar: only cans of coca cola/fanta. No water, no alcoholic drinks! No cup or spoon to make a hot drink (I had to collect it myself from the breakfast room). Noisy, right next to kitchen, was woken at 6am by banging kitchen noise.
DO NOT GO HERE! Staff are rude & treat you with contempt.

Nearby The Tophams Hotel Belgravia

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

London Travel Forum

Need advice about London, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for London and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest London hotel reviews

Pigeons
Department stores
Petticoat Lane, Spitalfields and Brick Lane
Shopping
Airports (travel to and from)
Driving in London
Souvenirs
Tour buses
Train / Bus Stations
Taxis
Portobello Market / Notting Hill
Music, video, DVD's etc.
Shopping
Public Transport (not taxis)
Food and Drink