VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Mitre Hotel

Poor Value

Rated Lower than similar hotels

See Hotels with Better Ratings

My Suitcase Was Stolen From My Locked Room

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 8, 2016

On my 2nd night here, I went out briefly at 7pm (I got back at 7.30pm) and discovered to my horror that my suitcase had been stolen from my locked room.
Police were called. The Receptionist & Bar Supervisor (two young women) were the only staff on the premises. CCTV was not reviewed by them. The Manager was telephoned by the Bar Supervisor while I was with her but he did not speak to me and did not come in to deal with situation.
When the front desk shift changed at 11pm, I heard the Receptionist say to the incoming staff member, "Another suitcase has been stolen from a room".
Staff actions demonstrated that they did not cared at all about what had happened to me. I have never been treated so appallingly by staff anywhere in 40 years of both budget and up-market travelling.
The Mitre Hotel website states, "despite the traditional styling of our exterior we’ve made sure everything is as modern as can be on the inside. Don’t be fooled by our period charms; The Mitre Hotel might have been established in 1815, but we’ve definitely kept up with the times!"
BUT they do not have a lift/elevator. There are no photos on the website of the many stairs. You have to carry your luggage up narrow, steep stairs. I was on the top floor and had to haul my bag up 3 flights (it only weighed 14kg, but I am a small person) and I had no offer of assistance from the staff. Photos show just some of the stairs.
As well, and in such a warren of a place, perhaps the worst aspect, is that as I lay crying on the bed, I realised the smoke alarm in my room was illegally disabled.

Add to your Trip Planner

Nearby Mitre Hotel

Mitre Hotel

• Mitre Hotel Manchester

Address: 1-3 Cathedral Gates, Manchester, Greater Manchester, M3 1SW, United Kingdom

2 Photos of Mitre Hotel

Amenities at Mitre Hotel

• Restaurant
  • Bar / Lounge

Manchester Travel Forum

Need advice about Manchester, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Manchester and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Manchester hotel reviews