Southview Hotel

Regina1965's Profile Photo

A lovely stay in Blackpool

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 29, 2016

My husband and I attended the Blackpool Magic Convention 2016, which lasted for 3 days. After a long search on-line for a place to stay I found this hotel on Booking.com. The price was GBP 60 per night, which is reasonable, and in the description of the hotel it said that the room was 30 sq.m., which I found to be excellent, as I had been looking up other hotel rooms, one of which was only 7 sq.m.! So we booked 3 nights at the Southview Hotel.

The hotel is on 4 floors with no lift, and our room was on the 4th floor, so we had to carry all the luggage up the narrow and steep staircase. My husband carried the luggage and there is no way that I could have carried the heavy luggage up 4 flights of stairs by myself.

I liked the room, it was spacious and had two large beds, a wardrobe and a a chest of drawers, so we had plenty of space for our clothes and things. And our things piled up as my husband did a lot of shopping at the Magic Convention ;)

Everything was clean and lovely, the pillows were soft and the linen beautiful. The mattress was a bit lumpy though, so we stayed in one bed and put the duvet from the other bed on top of the mattress to make it softer.

The only thing that was not up to par was that the lamp kept falling apart, it was broken in one place. This can easily be fixed and I hope the hotel sees to that.

There was free wifi in the lobby and on the corridors. Unfortunately it didn't reach our room, but we could connect to it outside the room in the corridor. I didn't want to hang out in the narrow corridor, so I connected to the internet in the lobby, which was open until midnight.

One has to order breakfast beforehand and the restaurant was only open for 30 minutes, from 8:45-9:15. I was never ready in time for breakfast, after staying out late with the magicians, so my husband brought me coffee to the room from the restaurant in a beautiful porcelain cup.

Unique Quality: We had an en-suite bathroom, squeaky clean with an electric shower heater, so there was plenty of hot water, although it was a bit difficult to manage the heat.

What I also liked is that they had soft, scented toilet paper, which made me feel at home. I cannot stand the wax paper that some hotels use. So that was very appreciated.

When we arrived the room was absolutely freezing. There was a radiator in the room, but it was only lukewarm and didn't heat up the room. We had arrived late and had to hurry to attend the gala show at the Wintergarden, so we couldn't complain about the cold at the lobby. But as we returned back around midnight the room was even colder. I dressed in layers and covered my head and put on gloves and lay in bed shaking. It was so cold that my face was hurting. Kind of surreal, but it was in February and it was coldish outside (like an Icelandic summer). So at 00:30 my husband, who does not like to be cold and always catches a bad cold if he gets too cold, went down-stairs and woke up the hotel manager. I lay in bed cringing as I don't like to complain, let along after midnight. But he returned with two blankets and an electrical radiator, which saved us from freezing for the rest of the trip and heated the room up to the temperature we are used to having inside in Iceland - I guess we are spoilt for choice with our geothermal heating in Iceland - it is always 22 degrees C inside our flats.

There was free parking in front of the hotel (2 parking spaces) which was convenient for us as we had rented a car and driven from London to Blackpool.

The staff was friendly and made our stay at the hotel a lovely one and I would stay there again. I have added more photos to a travelogue on Southview Hotel.

Directions: Conveniently located for us, only 5 minutes away from the Wintergarden, where the Magic Convention was held.

Add to your Trip Planner

Excellent (4.5 of 5.0) 4 reviews

5 Photos of Southview Hotel

View Professional Photos

Blackpool Travel Forum

Need advice about Blackpool, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Blackpool and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Blackpool hotel reviews

Town Hall
Wave sculpture
Winter Gardens
Things to Do
The Wave Sculpture on St. John's Square.
The Magic Convention 2016 at the Winter Gardens
Things to Do
A Wetherspoons on the Seafront!
Allow my laughing
Gramsford Lodge blackpool WARNING
Warnings and Dangers
Flights to the sun
Transportation
eee, i'll tell you another one......
Blackpool circus
Things to Do
Over half the height of the real one...
Things to Do
Illuminations on a beautiful stormy night
Blackpool Tower
Things to Do
Tram, bus, horse and carriage!
Transportation