The Sandringham Hotel

slothtraveller's Profile Photo

Cosy stay in Cardiff City Centre

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 17, 2016

As my trip to Cardiff was a fairly late decision, I was surprised that I was able to get such a great deal at the Sandringham. I paid just £33 a night for a single en-suite room with breakfast included! As you can imagine, I did not expect much by way of comfort for the price paid but I was pleasantly surprised by how comfortable my room (305) was. The bathroom and shower were a good size and the bedroom area was very comfortable and cosy, although it was rather small. The TV was a flat screen and there were tea making facilities and a trouser press in the room too. The bed itself was very comfy and I had no problem sleeping even with some of the street noise coming in through the window from the street below. I imagine that if my stay had been on a Saturday night, I may have been kept awake as the window was old and had gaps in the frames. For a midweek stay though, it was not a problem at all.
On the negative side, the hotel decor is very dated and a little dilapidated in the corridors and stairways. There are no lifts in the hotel so it is unsuitable for visitors with physical disabilities. The room cleaners tended to block the corridors with bed linens, vacuum cleaners etc so it was a bit of an obstacle course negotiating the corridors in the mornings. Not really their fault though. Space is really at a premium in this hotel.
I would happily stay at the Sandringham again should I return to Cardiff in future. I got a great deal and in many ways, the experience exceeded that of some of the chain budget hotels I have stayed in previously.

Unique Quality: The Sandringham is situated perfectly for a short break in Cardiff, a short walk from the railway station and the castle. There are many pubs and restaurants within 2 minutes walk of the hotel.
The staff at the Sandringham could not have been more pleasant, welcoming and accommodating. The staff at breakfast including the chef and waiting staff were lovely and friendly and their cooked breakfast was a perfect way to start the day. Also the staff on reception always had a smile on their faces. Great customer service!

Directions: 3-5 minutes walk from Cardiff Central railway station- very ideally situated

Fantastic Hotel!!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 17, 2011

We visited Cardiff for my birthday and we are so glad we did! Located right in the city centre, literally 5 mins walk from the Millenium Stadium, this hotel is central to everywhere you could wish to go. The welcome we had from CERI at reception was amazing! We told her we would be going to watch the RUGBY WALES VS FRANCE on the Saturday morning and she asked if we had tickets for the Millenium Stadium, when we told her no, within 10 minutes she had rang our room and had got us 2 tickets! Made my birthday! The hotel is clean, room was spacious, shower was fantastic and the mattress was SO comfortable. Although we did not have breakfast as we were watcing the rugby, the smells from the restaurant were delicious! Cafe Jazz downstairs is a great Jazz bar, very friendly staff, reasonable prices for food and drink. Next door but one is a pub called The Cottage. Again friendly and reasonable! If you are visiting Cardiff i cannot reccomend this hotel enough! We will definatley be visiting again.

Unique Quality: Friendly staff and when Ceri got us tickets for the Millenium Stadium or the Rugby we were bowled over!

aukahkay's Profile Photo

Hotel right in the heart of Cardiff

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 12, 2009

The Sandringham Hotel is a centrally located hotel just 10 minutes walk from Cardiff Central railway station on the main thoroughtfare of St Mary Street. It is a family run hotel that is cosy and has friendly and helpful staff.

Unique Quality: What I liked about the Sandringham Hotel is its excellent location in downtown Cardiff close to all major attractions and transport. The bus stop is right in front of the hotel and Cardiff Castle is a mere 10 minutes walk away. The English breakfast served in the morning is sumptous and delicious. The only disadvantage about the hotel is that it lacks an elevator. If your room is located on an upper floor, you will have to carry your luggage all the way up the staircase.

Directions: 10 minutes walk from Cardiff Central station

Zmrzlina's Profile Photo

Feisty French receptionist

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 21, 2003

Oh, this is really not a special place, but the young woman manning the front desk was such a delight. She had a lovely accent and was quite fiesty with her supervisor. It was not at all an argument, but it was a bit heated, though really, no meaness.

The hotel is clean, convenient as all get out to the train station, and fairly priced. And breakfast is included, though we didn't know that until after we had checked out.

Add to your Trip Planner

the Sandringham Hotel on Mary...

by written on August 24, 2002

the Sandringham Hotel on Mary Street,Cardiff
in british sterling the price for a twin room is £50 and for a triple room it is £66.

Unique Quality: for a hotel in the centre of cardiff the price was excellent. for a twin room it is only £50, which is very good considering you never need to get a taxi unless you are leaving or off exploring, there is a porter on the door so you can come and go as you please and there can be a residents lounge too.

Directions: this hotel is right in the heart of cardiff, you just step outside your door and you are in the middle of everything yet you are still able to sleep soundly in your bed without without being woken up

Nearby The Sandringham Hotel

• Restaurant
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Cardiff Travel Forum

Need advice about Cardiff, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Cardiff and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Cardiff hotel reviews

Cardiff Castle
Bute Park and the Animal Wall
A traditional old pubhouse
Restaurants
A quick visit to the Bay
Arts Centre