North America Hotels

Our Members Say

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hilton New Orleans / St Charles Ave: Not Quite in New Orleans

How was my stay? Not quite right. Not bad, just not quite right. My bed? Not ... you get the idea. It was just mildly not comfortable enough to sleep properly. The walls were thin and then the TV went crazy and the volume couldn't be turned down. When I saw a maid and told her my TV wouldn't stop going to maximum volume - she told me my room number. Great. They knew there was a problem and did nothing about it. The room did have a steam iron, but no mini bar! Then the hotel told us the taxi would cost less than it did. Its a shame really. Its an old building and was built in 1926 as a Masonic Temple. It was redeveloped in 1992 as the Hotel Monaco, but was damaged by Hurricane Katrina. It was reopened in 2007 as a Hilton hotel.

The best part of the hotel is one of the best jacuzzis I have ever had the pleasure of soaking in. Connected to the indoor pool, its deep and hot. Very nice.

The rest of the hotel is somewhat dark and actually does not have a lot of character. Reception is especially dark.

The location is excellent. You can walk to Bourbon Street in 7-8 minutes.

All in all, I will choose another, possibly another Hilton, hotel in the future. This is not a bad hotel, but for the price I really want a room with thick walls and a great bed. The rest is all just extras to me.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Business Travel, Luxury Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written March 2, 2016

Hilton New Orleans / St Charles Ave

Days Inn-Raleigh-Glenwood Crabtree: Does the Job in North Carolina

I chose this hotel based upon a few things. I would be arriving at the airport late, I was driving, I needed a good night’s rest, and early start, breakfast and a good price. How did the Days Inn do? Very well thank you. I had asked for a quiet room, meaning at the rear, but when I arrived, they said the only rooms left were on the front facing a major road in Raleigh. I need not have worried. The room, with the air-conditioning on, was quiet. The room was very big, the bed was great and the bathroom was large as well. I settled in a for a good night’s sleep and woke fairly refreshed. I had a coffee in my room, ironed my clothes and set off for the buffet breakfast. Not too bad.

The other great thing is that this hotel is well located not just for the highways, but there is a Walmart and a CVS Pharmacy practically on your doorstep. I was able to pick up a few needed supplies before I set off to drive to the beach.

The Days Inn does the job on all counts.

Please note: Get good directions if you are driving a rental car from the airport. I ended up at another Days Inn first!

OVERVIEW:
• Quiet, good beds, large rooms and a good breakfast
• Short drive to Crabtree Valley Mall, Rex Hospital, RDU Airport and Walmart
• 50 USD cash or credit card deposit is required at check-in to cover incidental charges
• Free Daybreak continental breakfast
• Fitness center
• Free high-speed Internet access, both wired and wireless
• Up to 2 pets - max weight 20 lbs allowed per room (charge of 35 USD per pet, per stay

• Room types: Double, Queen, King, Smoking, non-smoking, accessible
• Air Conditioning, Alarm Clock, Desk, Ergonomic Chair, Iron and Ironing Board
• HD flat screen televisions with 7 HBO channels and free on-demand movies
• Microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker, guest laundry facilities and free parking
• Free daily USA Today newspaper
• Bath Tub, shower, Hairdryer, good toiletries
• Free local Telephone Calls
• Handicapped-accessible and non-smoking rooms are available

• Related to: Motorcycle, Family Travel, Road Trip
  • Written November 15, 2015

Days Inn Raleigh Glenwood-Crabtree

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Raleigh-Durham Airport: A Quiet Porch in North Carolina

Before I tell you the merits of this hotel, and this is a positive review, I hated the fact that the swimming pool was not open. Yes, it was the fault of the City of Durham, but I booked this place because I wanted to have a swim in the pool. I grew up in North Carolina, and it gets very hot here in summer. When I booked this location I expected a quiet room, good beds, a well located hotel, nice facilities and a swimming pool. I got everything else! And the City of Durham who must ‘commission’ all swimming pools every year are stupid bastards. Not the hotel’s fault. In fact the staff of the hotel could not have done more to give me information and assistance. An excellent hotel.

The hotel is inside a business park full of offices. It’s quiet – especially at night. If you want a free ride to the airport, free ride to food & shopping, and just plain quiet – this is an outstanding choice!

My room was very narrow, but had a wonderful bed, a nice leather sofa, good mini-bar, excellent bathroom and it was quiet. The hotel had a lovely lobby, outdoor areas, a fantastic front porch (with rocking chairs), ice machines and a lovely looking restaurant.

The hotel has a free shuttle that not only takes you to RDU Airport – they will even take you to diner or a movie. The shuttle runs to the Streets at Southpoint (shops, restaurants, movies).

I had a great meal, a great sleep and – almost – a good swim. And inspired choice for RDU Airport

OVERVIEW:
• Quiet, Southern mansion-style feel with a veranda and porch swings
• Swimming pool (sometimes)
• Free Shuttle to RDU Airport, shopping, dining, cinema
• 100% no-smoking and air-conditioned
• Free car parking
• Gym, bar, restaurant, business facilities

• Air Conditioning, great beds, quiet, modern
• Clock Radio w/ MP3 Connection, big TV (37 inch) , Ergonomic Desk Chair, desk
• Sofa Sleeper, Coffee Maker, Hairdryer, Iron/Ironing Board, Mini Refrigerator
• Newspaper (M-F)
• WI-FI
• Modern bathroom with good toiletries
• Room types: King Balcony, King Deluxe, 2 double beds

FOOD & DRINK:
• Vintage Carolina restaurant and bar (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
• Lobby bar

LEISURE:
• 24-hour fitness center and seasonal outdoor pool

BUSINESS:
• 10,921 sq.ft. of indoor/outdoor meeting and event space, 13 meeting rooms
• 24-hour business center, Express Mail, Notary Public, Photo Copying, Printer

SERVICES:
• ATM (charges), Baggage Storage, laundry/Valet Service
• Free shuttle to restaurants, shops, bars, cinema
• Safety Deposit Box, gift shop, snack Shop

• Related to: Luxury Travel, Business Travel, Seniors
  • Written November 15, 2015

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Raleigh-Durham Airport

CLAY HOTEL: A BED ABOVE A FLORIDA NIGHTCLUB

I still find it hard to believe how bad my stay here was. The people who 'mange' this place seem like complete idiots and they seem to have a lack of proper cleaners and a maintenance schedule for simple repairs and replacements. I tried to check in at 7am. Fair enough, they asked me to put my bags in the baggage room and come back around lunch time. I did and they said come back in an hour. I did and they finally said they had 1 room made up and I could have it. I explained I wanted a quiet room and they I would wait. A QUIET ROOM. QUIET. They said it was a quiet room in another building. It was several buildings away and my room was up some stairs and around the back. Cool. I noticed that there was a nice looking coffee shop just below. I decided to go out for the day and evening.

When I came back I tried to take a shower in filthy bath and shave in the nasty sink. Nasty. Lots of other peoples' hair was there! Then I got on my bed. And it began to move! Yes, it was vibrating to the deafening music! BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM !

The coffee shop becomes a nightclub at night! And where was the sound equipment? Yes - right below my room and bed! A trek to reception revealed they were full and no other rooms were available!

IDIOTS !

They had the chance to give me a quiet room and gave me the loudest possible.

I was lucky. No - no sleep and it was hot in the room. I had booked through a very good website:

SKOOSH

The fantastic people at Skoosh arranged a complete refund in 2 days. Great website - crap hotel!

• Related to: Gay and Lesbian, Seniors, Family Travel
  • Written July 26, 2014

THE VIEW FROM MY ROOM - SHIT REALLY

BILTMORE HOTEL: NOT WORTH THE PRICE(S) – ASHEVILLE NC

I have to state up front that I don’t get this hotel. I just cannot recommend it. This is a modern, almost characterless place. It is marketed as being on the Biltmore Estate and this is where the story starts to change. The Biltmore Estate is massive and in the beginning it had hundreds of square miles of gardens and forest. Today it is still a huge 8,000 acre expanse and this hotel is in the grounds. In fact the best feature of the hotel is the view over the mountains. Just do not expect to see or get close to the world famous Biltmore House – unless you buy a ticket. Yes – you do not get to drive around the full estate just because you paid a minimum of $269 of a room. A single room. 2 people? You may want to consult your bank manager before you make reservations. You are looking at a little over $400 for most rooms! Seriously – this is just a rip-off. The hotel is very nice, but it’s far from the Palace they are asking you to pay for.

The rooms are ok. Nothing luxurious, just nice. They do have good beds, excellent toiletries and it is absolutely quiet. Fair enough, but at this price you could stay at several luxury hotels in Asheville – twice. Possible more. Like I said, I don’t get this place. My brother had his (3rd) wedding here and stays here a lot on business. I would rather stay at the historic and charming Grove Park Inn any day.

On the plus side they have a bar (amazingly without any charm at all), an outdoor pool (some months), some excellent gift shops and a modern gym. You can also walk outside from the bar and see the mountain I grew up on. When I was a child I went to school with the children of one of the estate’s caretakers.

My recommendation? Stay elsewhere and drive the Blue Ridge Parkway if you want to really see the mountains and scenery. You can stop at dozens of places and go hiking or take a picnic. It just is not worth it to stay here for the money they charge. And they just keep charging. Want a ‘guaranteed’ view – that’s an extra $50 minimum! Want to see the Biltmore House and Gardens – even from the outside – yes tickets will easily set you back more than an additional $100! Now you understand. Save your money and see the Biltmore House. Give the Biltmore Hotel a miss and save a lot of money.

HOTEL OVERVIEW:
• 201 rooms and 9 suites set in beautiful woodlands
• NO access to, or even sight of, the Biltmore House unless you buy tickets
• Guaranteed views are an additional fee - starting at $50!
• Outdoor pool and hot tub (open 6am-10pm and closed completely in Winter)
• Small (oddly) outdoor seating area
• Library, fitness center, bar, restaurant
• A shocking lack of facilities given the prices

• Nice décor supposedly based upon English and French manor houses
• Rooms are cleaned twice a day
• Great beds
• Complimentary bottled water, Coffee/Tea and daily newspaper
• Wi-Fi
• Bathrobe, slippers, great toiletries, mirrors and hairdryer
• Complimentary overnight shoeshine

• Related to: Spa and Resort, Business Travel, Luxury Travel
  • Written July 8, 2014

BILTMORE HOTEL - ASHEVILLE, NC

QUALITY HOTEL DORVAL - MONTREAL: SO FAR YET SO FAR

I ended up here when Air Can decided to strand me overnight. The best thing I can say is that I had a chance to see one of my favourite VT members and that the room was excellent. In fact the staff were awesome, food great, bar was cool, the Jacuzzi did the trick, and the bed was amazing. It’s just that this hotel is a very expensive taxi ride into Montreal and it’s not that close to the airport. At least they have a free shuttle. If you want to see Montreal – this is the wrong hotel. Otherwise, it’s great.

I have to admit I only slept in my very comfortable bed for 1 hour as I was out and about, but it was a very good sleep. The rest of the room was awesome. Great furniture, TV, mini-bar and plenty of mirrors.

The bathroom was efficient and had a good shower (only) and some reasonable toiletries.

The best part of the hotel were the leisure facilities. There was a large outdoor pool, 2 indoor Jacuzzis and a modern gym. All quite good. They even have a water slide.

The restaurant and bar served excellent food and nice cold beers in ice cold glasses. Get in there!

Reception was great. They had their own daily newsletter, could not have been more helpful and knew everything. They also had an ATM machine.

Except for the location, this is a very good hotel for the money. It is absolutely quiet, the beds are great and the rooms are climate-controlled. A very nice hotel in a remote location.

HOTEL OVERVIEW:
• Free shuttle service to Montreal Airport - 24 hours a day
• 159 rooms (48 have kitchenettes)
• Far away and very expensive to get to Montreal
• Secure, heated indoor car parking
• Heated outdoor pool, indoor fitness center, saunas and Jacuzzis (2)
• Jardins le Pavillon restaurant - breakfast, lunch and dinner
• "Zmaya" Bar & Lounge (pool tables and TV sports)
• 24-hour Laundromat facilities or same-day dry cleaning service

• Climate controlled
• Great beds
• Quiet, well decorated, modern
• Free high speed Wi-Fi
• Rooms for handicapped and hearing-impaired guests
• Modern bathrooms, but a bit basic
• Large TV with lots of channels

• Related to: Road Trip, Work Abroad, Family Travel
  • Written May 6, 2014

QUALITY HOTEL DORVAL - MONTREAL

• Madasabull profile photo Madasabull
  • Reviews: 238

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

La Quinta: We stayed in La Quinta hotels for most nights

While doing the road trip for 3 weeks on the west coast, we staying in all kinds of places. We tried to keep our nights in hotels under $70 dollars for the 2 of us, but sometime we went over because we were either late at night, or because there simply wasn’t another vacant option.

Most of the time though, we averaged around the £50 - £60 dollar mark. We stayed in a La Quinta Inn and Suites one night, and from then on, we just had to keep looking for these hotels because they were roomy, the bed was great, and the staff were cool too. There were exceptions of course, but very few La Quinta hotels with bad staff, we felt.

If you join La Quinta online, you are rewarded with a free night for every 10 nights you stay, so for us, that was yet another bonus.

On our 6 week road trip around the Southern States, we found that the majority of La Quinta Inns were not great and even really poor in some places like Galveston. The La Quinta Inn and Suites were better, but none seem to be of the standard we had on the West Coast. Strange I know, but true.

If we were on the West Coast again, we would stay in La Quinta Inns and Inn and Suites, but if we were back in the Southern States, we would only stay in La Quinta Inn and Suites, and not just the standard La Quinta Inn’s.

We may even skip La Quinta in the South all together though, maybe.

• Related to: Road Trip, Family Travel
  • Written October 5, 2013

• pianorick profile photo pianorick

super 8: twlite zone

This was THE worse room I ever stayed in! No towels , no washclothes, the air conditioner leaked, the tv remote was broke, no coffee pot for the coffee maker, bad swithch in the bathroom.When I was checking in the lady next to me had been there two hours.Employees running around with no shoes on and getting lunch orders , while people stood waiting for rooms.The lady that was checking you in would leave the desk to clean rooms or go to the office, SO unproffesional!!Three couples left. It was like being in the Twilte Zone!There werea lot more to write about but it would take another page!
Its a shame that this is the only hotel to choose from to stay at, so you put up with all the flaws or sleep in your car. They need a real manager/owner to run the hotel in a profesional way!!

• Related to: Family Travel, Travel with Pets, Cycling
  • Written May 31, 2011

• pieter_jan_v profile photo pieter_jan_v
  • Reviews: 6436

Bed Bugs registry: Bed Bugs

Just for your own itchy interest:

Bed bug registry

These creatures can be a real nightmare and please report them as soon as possible, so proper counter measures can be taken.

• Related to: Eco-Tourism, Adventure Travel, Arts and Culture
  • Written September 10, 2010

Bed bug

• clites56 profile photo clites56

Chateau: Lake Lousie

Hello I know htat htis may maybe a lii\ttle late but I am going to respond to your ad. I have travelled across North America as a class A driver and as a toueist. I have lived in BC , Albeta Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia and many states in the US. I am a dual citizen of both countries. I have all the proper documents incvluding my Passport pass card. Very few have applied for it but I needed to renew my passspaort so I decided to to do all. I have driven tractor trailers from A trains to B. I am semi retired and love to travel. I have been alll over Europe and this country. If you are still looking for someone contact me at mclites@live.com , or mpouliot649@hotmail.com. Thank you Michael Clites

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written December 27, 2008

• littleman profile photo littleman
  • Reviews: 193

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Youth Hostel Association

When travelling around North America i stayed mainly in hostels.As i travelled to more out of the way locations,i found these to be great value as some where private rooms with double beds, t.v etc.I would recommend this as an affordable option when travelling.Do not forget to become a member before you travel.

• Related to: Road Trip
  • Written September 15, 2008

• MicrotelTifton profile photo MicrotelTifton

Hotel / Motel Accomodations: Tifton Georgia Best Overnight stay

I stop over at this hotel called Microtel Inn & Suites, off Interstate 75, exit 62 . Theire rates are very reasonable (listed in 2 coupon books). Rooms are always clean, you get free brkfst, wifi, free computer access, gym and gorgeous lobby. Bedding is brand new. its midpoint if you driving from Midwest states or Florida. There is plenty of praking for bus , trucks and tour groups.
Microtel Inn & Suites, 196 S Virginia Ave, Tifton, GA 31794
(229) 387-0112 email microteltifton@gmail.com

Pool and gym were wonderful. Computer access came handy

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Business Travel, Seniors, Disabilities
  • Written December 11, 2007

Brreakfast area

• supercarys profile photo supercarys
  • Reviews: 172

Motel 6, Super 8 etc: Cheaper accommodation

If you're travelling with others the cheapest form of accommodation may not be a hostel. Try bargaining with the desk clerk at the motel you go to and tell them that you are backpacking / a student / travelling and ask if they have a cheaper room or if they could take anything off the cost of the room for you. You will be surprised how much cheaper you can get the room. (this will almost certainly not work if you have pre booked) HINT! The person with the most experience with bargaining should go in alone and look worried when they tell you how much the cheapest room is. It helps a lot if you have small notes.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive

Surprises Await Some Who Book Package Deals: Buying an Air/Hotel Package Online

LAB REPORT:
Package Deals To Europe

RESEARCH QUESTION:
Are those too-good-to-be-true air/hotel packages to Europe, well, too good to be true? You know the ones -- cheap deals to European capitals that pop up on Internet discount sites like Travel Zoo (www.travelzoo.com) and Smarter Living (www.smarterliving.com), bundling air and hotel costs into one preposterously low total. When a $499 six-night summer trip to London recently appeared on Go-Today.com, it seemed too cheap not to go. The trip would have cost at least $1,150 if purchased a la carte: Airfare was running about $750, and a bare-bones hotel would have added at least another $400.

Finger poised to click, we wondered: What's the catch? Was it really possible to visit London for $499 without sacrificing convenience and personal safety, not to mention our dignity?

METHODOLOGY:
In mid-April, we clicked on Go-Today's "London Supersale," which included round-trip airfare to London Heathrow and six nights' hotel for $499 per person double, for travel in mid-July. The price was good for travel on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday (a surcharge applied for other days). Luckily, we were traveling with a friend: As with most package deals, this trip was priced on a per-person-double basis, and a solo traveler would have had to pay a $300 supplement.

FIRST EYE-OPENER:
Trips must be booked entirely online. If you want to talk to an actual person, that's another $20. And once we paid for the package, there were no refunds or exchanges. The company recommends buying trip cancellation insurance with your package, because you can't add it after the fact, but we decided to live dangerously. Note: We felt comfortable using Go-Today, in business for 13 years. But if you're unsure about a travel provider, check with the Better Business Bureau (www.bbb.org) to ensure there's not a pattern of complaints against the company. Continued below ....

SECOND EYE-OPENER:
Watch out for extra charges -- some mandatory, some optional. Ours quickly added up:

$100 more to fly out of the Washington area.....

$115 in government taxes and airport fees.

$10 for mandatory FedEx delivery of e-tickets and hotel voucher.

$65 for a hotel upgrade, since Go-Today's budget choices seemed a bit too basic for anyone past the backpacker stage. It was still an incredible deal: We were paying $64 a night for a three-star room that was going for $172 a night on Hotels.com.

Final total: $789 per person.

RESULTS:
You knew there was a catch.

It wasn't the ticket delivery, which can be dicey with some discounters who work on razor-thin margins. Our e-tickets and hotel voucher arrived in our mailbox within days of purchase.

It wasn't the airlines. We flew brand-name carriers: United and Lufthansa.

It wasn't the hotel. True, our hotel room was small with no air conditioning, but the neighborhood was safe and convenient, the room spotless and the staff friendly. We'd stay there again.

No, the catch was a return-trip routing that not only required a connection, but took us from London to Dulles via Frankfurt, requiring a 4 a.m. wakeup call and, with layover time, adding more than six hours (!) to our journey. We weren't told this before booking -- only after we paid in full and received e-mail confirmation. Go-Today manager Carmen Costello later explained that while the company works with vendors to get the best routing available, it depends on space available. The sale we clicked on, she said, resulted in more than 1,000 bookings in 24 hours, and United, the company's carrier on that trip, sold out of cheap seats. If Lufthansa hadn't agreed to provide a seat from Frankfurt at Go-Today's price, "we would have had to cancel you."

CONCLUSION:
The deal was worth it, offering excellent value with no sacrifice in safety or comfort. In fact, unless staying in a specific hotel is important to you, we're hard-pressed to find a reason not to use these packages.

• Written September 1, 2004
Tip Photo

• sarahreynold profile photo sarahreynold
  • Reviews: 279

Art Deco district of Miami: Miami Art Deco Hotels

There is an amazing choice of real classic style hotels in theis area. The pastel shades mixed with vibrant lighting, and they all seem to provide a very personal and stylish service, great places to stay in Miami.

Unique designs, stylish