Ocean Coral & Turquesa

Value Score

Poor Value

Costs More than similar hotels

See Popular Hotels

Beware! They charge you $55 to wash your sheets!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 19, 2013

If you can cancel your reservation and get a refund and go elsewhere, do it ASAP! Wow! I already took this complain to the hotel itself and they tried to lie their way out of it. I just want to forewarn you! I am not a picky person at all and have been on cruises (Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Costa) and loved them all. I've also stayed at all inclusives.... RIU and Sandals resorts and had no complaints there either. My husband and I are in our mid 30s and are pretty easy to please. As long as we have each other, we always have a good time and find the best in any place we go to. However, something very disturbing happened on this trip and although I am not one to normally write negative reviews, I wanted to give you a warning if you have booked this resort. We stayed for 5 nights for my husband's birthday. Remember this point later in the story, my poor husband and it was his birthday. Anyway..we really liked the room and resort and thought the food was really good as well. All of that was great. No complaints, like I said... we are not picky. However, my husband got sick on this trip. We aren't sure if it was from sun poisoning or from brushing his teeth with the tap water, but he got sick. He laid down in bed and I had a small trash can next to the bed. He threw up in the trashcan and just a little sprayed on the sheet (I am talking maybe a teaspoon of throw up and it was very light in color). Our maid was slooooow about coming around and cleaning our room. We would leave the sign on the door to have the room cleaned, but we would be gone for hours and she would not come. So that day that my husband was sick, I decided I didn't want throw up in our room and needed the maid to come as soon as possible. I called down to reception and said "Hi, I'm really sorry, but my husband is sick, could you send the maid up if you can" They were nice and the maid came up and cleaned the room and she did a great job. My husband laid back down and about 30 mins later a man knocked on our door. I thought he was coming to check on my husband and perhaps offer him some medication from the hotel, but instead he told my husband and myself that when he felt better he needed to go to guest services to pay for the sheets. My husband was so sick at this point, he didn't want to argue and we both kinda just stood there shell shocked and in disbelief. How could they need an entire new sheet? Do they not have washing machines? and it was such a small amount, I would have happily just scrubbed it with a wash cloth and dealt with it if I knew what would transpire. We decided we didn't want to ruin our trip and go and argue with them and just hoped they would come to their senses and drop the issue. We had a good rest of our trip. The day came to check out and when we turned in our key, the lady at the front desk said we owed $55 for the sheet. My husband said "am I buying a new sheet or something?, I barely got anything on it". She said "No, you are not buying a new sheet, that is the price to clean it". Remember this is not the comforter or anything...this is a standard white hotel sheet that can easily be thrown in a washer in hot water with some detergent and bleach and it would have been fine. My husband said to her "can we have the sheet please, we will take it to the local laundromat, clean it and bring it back, $55 is absurd to clean a sheet" She refused and argued saying "You will not leave this resort until you pay the $55". My husband could not believe it. Remember, happy birthday to him! I felt so bad for him. He said there was no way he was going to pay $55 to clean a sheet and so she said "well you aren't leaving this resort without paying" My husband said "well I guess I'll be staying here another night then, because I am not paying" Her reply was "you can sleep in the lobby and she pointed at the couches". This is the kind of treatment that I just could NOT handle. I felt I had to write a review about. I remember the first cruise that I went on and I got motion sickness and I got sick and the crew quickly came to my aid..cleaned up our room and brought me some motion sickness medicene. They were very concerned about me and continued to check on me and give me a thumbs up the rest of the cruise to make sure I was ok. It felt so good to have people care about you and take care of you. Unfortunately, that is not the case at this resort. Anyway they can squeeze extra money out of you, they will find it. I heard someone break a glass by mistake in the lobby and thought "oh, lord that is going to cost them a small fortune and that person will be charged for sure." We tried to leave the resort without paying this fee because it was the principal of the matter, but they held our luggage hostage and would give it to us or issue us this ticket that you HAVE to have to get off the resort, so basically we were prisoners at their mercy...pay the money or lose your luggage and never leave the resort. I really hope this doesn't happen to anyone else. Like I said, I am not picky at all and had planned on bringing my kids back to this resort and also having a girls weekend with my friends, but after this...I will never go back to this resort or visit any H10 resorts again. I am still in shock they could even do this to us. We spent thousands of dollars on this trip and they can't wash a sheet? The craziest part is that $55 fee for the sheet will cost them much more in the long run....because any money we had planned on spending with them in the future will be going elsewhere. Good luck if you booked a vacation here. I hope you are treated better than we were. I loved the bartender Gaspar. Maybe he will wisen up to this place and get a job at the RIU in Cancun (where I will be staying in the fall :) I go to the caribbean at least 2 times a year, so their loss, not mine! Hope they enjoy that $55 and maybe a Maytag representative should visit the resort. They obviously need washing machines! What a joke/rip off! And they will lie their way out of anything to keep your money. Ugh! If you have a trip booked and can't get a refund, take your own sheets and bedding so they can't do this to you!

Add to your Trip Planner

Nearby Ocean Coral & Turquesa

Ocean Coral & Turquesa

• Ocean Coral And Turquesa
  • Ocean Coral & Turquesa Hotel Puerto Morelos

Address: SM 12, Mza 15, Lote 1-02, 103 Predio Maria Irene, Municipio Benito Juárez, Puerto Morelos, Quintana

Amenities at Ocean Coral & Turquesa

• Spa
  • Suites
  • Airport Transportation

Puerto Morelos Travel Forum

Need advice about Puerto Morelos, Mexico? Visit the Travel Forum for Puerto Morelos and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Puerto Morelos hotel reviews