Roosevelt Hotel Hollywood

See Amenities
albaaust's Profile Photo

Location! Location

by written on May 24, 2013

The Roosevelt is a 3 star hotel in an excellent location right on Hollywood Boulevard and opposite Madam Tussauds. The service at the desk was very friendly and accommodating. The concierge (Albert) was also very helpful. The building and various public rooms are quite historic and very nice to have a late afternoon drink . It has a bar restaurant, another restaurant and a large open lounge area where you can order drinks. The pool is very nice but when we were there it was overcrowded with "pretty young things" intent on using the area as a “drinking and smoking area”. The rooms are big - we had two bathrooms with flat screen television and safe.

Unique Quality: The best feature of the hotel was its location - right on the boulevard and opposite Madame Tussauds. It is very close to shopping centres and the subway station. It is also opposite the Chinese theatre where many movie premiers are held. After the movie showing many of the after parties are held at the Roosevelt. So, if you are really into celebrity watching you could watch them enter the hotel. However, the downside to this is that the lovely lounge room was closed while they set it up. The negatives: no fridge, kettle. There is a Pod coffee machine whereby you had to pay $3.50 for a coffee or tea. Wi-Fi extra $15 for the day.

We booked the hotel through Agoda

Directions: Opposite Chinese Theatre and Madame Tussauds

femmevazaha's Profile Photo

Lot's of history

by written on September 30, 2010

This hotel has one of the best locations. Right across from Grauman's Chese Theater/Mann Theater. You have footprints, handprints and hollywood walk of fame. Lots of restaurants and junky souvenir shops. Only 5 minutes from the Hollywood Bowl and a 10 minute drive to Universal Studios. At night the neighborhood can get a little seedy so just be aware.

The lobby is magnificent! None of that little front desk thing. Lots of places to lounge in and big columns. Our room was for 4 people. 2 big beds. We had our 2 sons 10 and 12 with us. We could see the theater from our room and a big poster on the side with a scantily clad woman whihc disturbed my youngest a bit. The room was a bit rundown but it was only $99 a night. This was about 2002 but I'm sure they haven't gne up to much with the economy and all. Lots of atmospere and history. Take the time to check out the place. Lots of history hanging on the walls.

Unique Quality: The history and location and they have parking in the back.

Directions: Across from Grauman's Chinese Theater

american_tourister's Profile Photo

Hollywood's Most Historical Hotel

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 17, 2010

I stayed here over a Halloween weekend in the early 90's so we could walk to the parade and not have to drive. All in all it is a charming blast from the past in Hollywood history. Lots of famous and wanna be famous folks have stayed there. My buddies and I were in the lobby and ran into Evangelyne. She was very gracious with us and gave us her business cards so we could log onto her fan club website.

Unique Quality: There is a photo gallery on the mezzanine level that chronicles the development of Hollywood. It is quiet interesting.

giampiero6's Profile Photo

Old Hollywood Swank, Meets "Hi, I'm a Producer"

by written on September 8, 2010

I did not stay at the Roosevelt Hotel, but it's a place I've been to for drinks, lunch, meetings, conferences and pool side cocktails. It's old hollywood at its finest with a great historical lobby and bar, and a pretty cool poolside cocktail situation going on. The Roosevelt is a place for great holiday parties, movie opening parties and more. Don't be surprised to see celebs there, if that's your kind of thing.

Unique Quality: The historical feel of the hotel is really cool and it's kind of mazelike with lots of places to explore and find your way around.

mingomatic's Profile Photo

Amazing hotel with Hollywood history and vibe

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 22, 2009

Before I lived in LA, I used to stay here when I visited because it has a really unique vibe about it. It's an old hotel that has a lot of history behind it. From what I understand, a lot of the "Old Hollywood" celebs such as Marilyn Monroe used to love staying here. But it's also a hangout for today's celebs as well. Although the hotel is old, it's not run down. The rooms are nice, clean, and comfortable. If you want to spend an extra couple of bucks, you can stay in the cabana rooms which are nicer and right by the pool.

There are many places to hang out right at the Roosevelt. There's the Tropicana Bar which is usually hard to get in if you're not a guest, celeb or know someone. The exclusivity makes it fun to hang out here. It's great people watching and the service is great. Very loungey type of outdoor vibe. Then there's the lobby area which is really dark for a lobby. And next to it is the Library bar, which is a small room that has an intimate feel. That is open to the public. There's also Teddy's which is an even more exclusive lounge than Tropicana. On a good night, you are likely to see celebrities in there. I know I saw a few.

Unique Quality: California vibe. Celebs galore. A lot of bars. Great location for tourists -right on Hollywood blvd across from the Grauman's Chinese Theater. But the locals also like coming here too, especially to Tropicana bar. It's the best all around hip hotel for young, fun-loving people. It might not be as good for families.

Directions: Hollywood Blvd, right in front of the Grauman's Chinese Theater

gilescorey's Profile Photo

Party Pad

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 19, 2008

My friend, an LA ex-pat, treated herself to a night at The Roosevelt on her last visit. I gladly joined her for the coveted guest access to the beautiful poolside bar.

The hotel is far more beautiful inside than the exterior suggests with a dark, moorish design. The room was quite large and fairly traditional in its appointments with a classic Hollywood theme - framed black and white photos of screen legends, and a 1920's motif in the absurdly large bathroom.

As this is a very old hotel, I'd expect scheme variations from room to room.

Unique Quality: This Hotel is a party hotel. No question. I'd expected an older clientele to match the stately edifice, but the building was rocking and rolling. Part of the lobby was cordoned off for a private concert event, there was a line out the front door, the poolside lounge was list only(or guests), and Prince was performing in one of the many venues. He walked past us as we were leaving and there was a collective "holy sh*t!" from everyone within 100 feet.

If you're noise sensitive, look elsewhere. I rode the elevator with one kid wearing only his underwear and carrying a martini. Yes, it's a party hotel.

Directions: Near the intersection of Hollywood Blvd. & Highland Ave., across from the Chinese Theatre

Mickeytor's Profile Photo

A Piece of Hollywood History

by written on January 15, 2007

I loved every second that I stayed here! Rooms were clean. Service was good. And while it's close to all the tacky Hollywood tourist stuff - it's not mired in it.

Movie lovers will appreciate the history that this hotel has, and the front desk staff that I encountered seemed eager to share what they knew.

I've read some bad reviews on here, but I can't say that I shared those experiences. Staff was very friendly, and while the pool was closed for renovations during my last stay, those issues did nothing to hurt my holiday. The room was clean and quiet, with a comfortable bed and plenty of amenities.

I would definitely stay here again!

Unique Quality: Each room has a cememt block with hand and footprints of D-List celebrities. My room had the prints of the guy who played Squiggy on Laverne and Shirley.

Directions: Right across the street from Grauman's and the Kodak Theatre.

Nice Hotel

by written on October 21, 2006

We stayed for three nights. The rooms are a little small, but our room was cleaner than some other hotels I have stayed in. The bed was very comfortable. I was worry about the hotel staff since some reviews I had read said how rude they were. Apparently, they have been given some training on staff friendliness. Anyone I dealt with from the front desk to the bell men and the valets were friendly and very willing to help.

Unique Quality: The pool is pretty and the complementary coffee by the pool in the mornings was nice. Being right on the Hollywood Walk of Fame was nice.

Directions: Hollywood Walk of Fame

RAINBOWWINGS's Profile Photo

Not one of my favourites

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 11, 2006

Before I go off about how awful this hotel was, it was 2001 when we stayed there and I know things have changed drastically....for good or worse, Im not sure. But here goes my experience there........the hotel was old, very old, sad and forgotten by the hoardes of filmstars from the 30s,40s,50s who would flock there at Oscar time. In fact the first ever Oscar Awards was held there, and now it seemed dead. They do say the ghost of Marylin Monroe appears now and again in the mirror on the ground floor and that certainly wouldnt surprise me!
The Reception area was tiny and the main lobby very 1930. Staff were so unhelpful to the point of being rude. The rooms were miniscule so much so that my brother could only sit on the toilet if he left the bathroom door open! Old, cracked handbasin and bath finished it off.
The area, opposite Graumans Chinese Theatre and the building site of the new Kodak Theatre where they hold the present day Oscar Awards Ceremony, was dirty and run down and to walk out at night...well we did just once and almost run back to the hotel when approached by some very strange people. I do know the area has changed and is very touristy now ( drove thru it this year)so hopefully LAPD are going to do the same as NYPD and clean the place up! For me Hollywood isnt as glamourous as it makes out to be....but its certainly interesting!!

Jerelis's Profile Photo

The hotel of Charlie Chaplin :-)

by written on August 20, 2005

We arrived at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel during a tour we had through the Hollywood area. This famous hotel is located in the heart of Hollywood and opened in 1927.

Due to the stay of very famous people (for example Douglas Fairbanks, Mary Pickford and Charlie Chaplin) it became known as "ìThe Home of the Stars".

Unique Quality: We witnessed and experienced the allure of the past especially in the hotel lobby. It's a true Grande Dame of Hollywood.

Directions: The Roosevelt Hotel Hollywood is located in the heart of Hollywood.

seen better times

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 15, 2004

was there about 8 years ago. I don't know if the did any renovation work since but already then the hotel had definitely seen better days, which is a shame considering it's long history and the ideal location across from Mann's Chinese Theatre

Erin74's Profile Photo

Historical hotel in a great Hollywood location

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 21, 2003

The Roosevelt Hotel (also known as The Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel) is a L.A. landmark. It's been in Hollywood for more than 75 years and has been a gathering place for many celebrities along the way. The staff will gladly tell you stories about Marilyn Monroe's stay and point out the mirror where you just might spot her ghost. So storied is the Roosevelt that it actually houses a film museum (on the level just above the reception area). The first Academy Awards were held in the ballroom here. History aside, this is a great hotel in a fantastic location, right across from Mann's Chinese Theatre on Hollywood Blvd.

Unique Quality: The hotel did a renovation several years ago and it's looking better than ever. Some of the rooms are on the small side, but they're all nice. The pool area is in great shape and there is a wonderful restaurant on the ground floor (Cinegrill). The Roosevelt is very convenient for L.A. visitors. It's right across the street from Mann's Chinese Theatre and the Hollywood & Highland complex. The pricing is also very competitive and you'll get a lot for your money here.

Nearby Roosevelt Hotel Hollywood

• Roosevelt La
  • Roosevelt Hotel California
  • Hotel Roosevelt Los Angeles
  • Hollywood Roosevelt Los Angeles

Address: 7000 Hollywood Boulevard, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, 90028, United States

17 Photos of Roosevelt Hotel Hollywood

• Spa
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Los Angeles Travel Forum

Need advice about Los Angeles, California? Visit the Travel Forum for Los Angeles and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Los Angeles hotel reviews