VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

La Pensione Hotel

Tags

Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Budget Travel
See Amenities

Horrible Hotel!!!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 12, 2007

I drove over 6 hours to stay at this hotel and what a waste of time that was. The staff here were unbelievably rude and not at all helpful from the onset. They lied about parking availability and would not offer any alternatives when hotel parking was "unavailable." Both the front desk person and hotel manager were irate and uncooperative in every respect. The manager basically said to get out and get your refund because he did not want to deal with us. We gladly did so as we would never want to stay at a horrible place like this that treats their guests like garbage. What a suprise and what a dissapointment this was. We could not believe there were people in the industry who acted so unprofessionally. Save yourself the time and trouble and find a respectable hotel with staff who actually care about their guests.

Unique Quality: none!

Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

A Charming Choice

by written on June 6, 2006

We chose La Pensione as the lodging for our anniversary trip to San Diego because Foder's named it the #1 budget hotel in San Diego. Iit turned out to be a very good choice. Although the lobby and our room were rather small, the hotel was clean, confortable, and in the delightful neighborhood of "Little Italy," just a few blocks walk from the harbor and transit lines.

We enjoyed our stay here even more our room than on another trip to San Diego when we spent twice as much for one of the big chain hotels.

La Pensione is also very near several great Italian restaurants.

Directions: In the Little Italy section of San Diego

clean, quite, stylish

by written on May 31, 2005

Stylish room, extremely clean, including the bathrooms. Bathrooms had new, modern equipment and good water pressure. I was suprised to find a refridgerator & hair dryer. I had a corner room on the 4th floor. Out one window, I could see the downtown, 1 block or 2 away. Out the other window, I could see the harbor, likewise a block or 2 away. The area that the hotel is in (Little Italy) is clean, safe and attractive. My only complaint is that Little Italy is a little bit tourist trappy.

lmkluque's Profile Photo

The Best in Little Italy!

by written on May 8, 2003

Years ago a San Diego guide book touted La Pensione as one of the best deals in San Diego. Recently a VT Member asked about this hotel and I became curious so I drove up to "Little Italy" to see for myself.

San Diego's Little Italy comprises several blocks north of downtown and east of SD Harbor. The most charming area is two blocks on India Street and Date Street is the center.

Undergroud parking is free, but parking is limited and on a first come first serve basis. The San Diego Trolley has a stop just two blocks from the hotel.

The price of a room was less than I'd expect, so this would be a great deal for the budget minded. Sometimes the hotel offers specials.

Unique Quality: I entered the lobby, small, clean and simply decorated. The black marble fireplace hinted at cozy evenings and just outside was a small garden patio connecting the hotel to it's two restauants.

The receptionist greeted me warmly and after hearing that I came to see the hotel for a friend, gave me a key to room 320. The room was smaller than I'm used to in a hotel but the air felt fresh, a ceiling fan above the full sized bed circled and added charm to the room. The bathroom was as clean as the room and what I liked most was the tiny balcony over looking the center of Little Italy.

I stepped out for a better view and surprisingly I could imagine the night time activity , a European type feel that I liked.

Before leaving I stopped around the corner to see the Restaurant and the Coffee Shop next to it. The Restaurant's purple decor was subtle, if you can imagine that. Prices were high for this intimate place but average for the type.

The charming young people working at the coffee shop patiently answered all my questions about hours opened and food served.

Weekdays, 7am-10pm
Weekends, 8am-11pm
Lunch, Monday-Saturday 10:30am-3pm (Sandwiches and salads from $4.50 to $5.25.)
Sundays, Waffle Brunch, $5.25 to $5.75
Opened to the Public as well as guests of the hotel.

Directions: In the Heart of Little Italy.<br/>The toll free (when dialing from within the USA) number for reservations: (800) 232-4683

Nearby La Pensione Hotel

• Wheelchair Accessible
  • Fitness Center
  • Free High Speed Internet

San Diego Travel Forum

Need advice about San Diego, California? Visit the Travel Forum for San Diego and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest San Diego hotel reviews