Key West Hotels

Our Members Say

• kburnham profile photo kburnham
  • Reviews: 2

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Casa Marina Resort: Casa Marina - stay away

Bring your hard hat and tool belt.
The Casa Marina is undergoing an extensive renovation throughout the property. This made the stay unpleasant, uncomfortable and unsafe.
The Casa Marina failed to disclose the conditions on their website, and failed to note that there was no wireless internet access, no business center, and intermittent hot water.
In order to get to my suite I was routed right through the middle of the construction zone, which was unsafe, with ladders and open cans of paint and solvent everywhere, and unpleasant with the heavy solvent odor.
I noticed when arriving at my suite that two of the three fire/emergency exits were gated off. The third exit which led to the street area was propped open 24hours so that workers could acces the building; which is nice for them but a security concern for me.
My ocean view consisted of a backhoe and a dumptruck, which started operation way too early in the morning for me.
I complained of the conditions and checked out after one night. I found out the next day that they had maintained a charge for the remaining three nights of my reservation, despite the fact that they had said there would be no additonal charges when I checked out.
So on top of everything else, the management of the Casa Marina are dishonest liars.
I travel extensively all over the world, and this was by far the most unpleasant and regretable hotel experience of my life.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Business Travel
  • Written October 17, 2007

• 4_Beach profile photo 4_Beach
  • Reviews: 1

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Casa Marina Resort: Hassles, Hassles, Hassle in Paradise, the Waldorf

When you rent a room in a hotel, you expect free access to the facility, to be able to come and go without impediment. You don’t expect a gang of thugs (two or more + uniformed police), that were not Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina, Key West staff, to stop you at the hotel entrance and demand identification. Let me repeat, these were not hotel staff members, and actually fellow guest. After some time explaining that you are not a part of the private group that the ruffians are representing, you are grudgingly allowed to pass, only to repeat the process at the other end of the lobby where you need to exit to go to your room. There was no other entrance and egress available. After complaining to the Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina, Key West management, they were powerless, and cowed by this organization that had rented out a portion of the hotel. No one said anything about this group function on reservation or on check in or offered any explanation on check in that would have at least alerted me, a full paying guest, of potential issues. I did find a printed notice in my room that informed me that parts of the grounds and facility were rented out to a private party and would not be available.

When you rent a hotel room, you don’t expect to waste time coming and going, having to deal with non-hotel staff elements that treat you like you don’t belong since you are not one of their group and you don’t deserve to be poked, although inadvertently, with 2-way radio antennae, as you enter an exit a hotel. A shorter person would have likely lost an eye. It’s a free country, and to be accosted by individuals, non-Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina, Key West staff, and identification demanded is just not what we are about in this country – wonder what the guest from outside the US were thinking?

After some thought, we wondered if the private function included individuals that needed such crowd control and a cadre of uniformed officers and were a little concerned for our safety. The Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina, Key West staff seemed to not be in control of their establishment. On further reflection, we think it is a responsibility of the Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina, Key West staff to protect guest from this sort of assault by other guest of the hotel, they were woefully inadequate.

I can understand, and would support having a security detail for a private function to control access, but not to the Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina, Key West itself. I have, been to many private functions, where the function access was controlled. In fact, I attended one last month in Anaheim, at a Hilton property, where a former presidential candidate was behind me in line top check in. I don’t think he would have suffered this indignation that was going on at the Casa, simply because he was not a part of the same function that I was attending.

The AC thermostat did not function, it was either ice cold or off. However, we would stay again, the property is that good, if we had assurance that the access, entrance and egress would not be an issue.

In summary, call ahead to check that you will have full use of the facility, you might have a great time.

The property is very good for a beach resort, the secluded beach, pool and hammocks are delightful. The food was good, and by Key West standards, in line as far as price. We went for relaxation that we achieved, between the hassles of leaving and entering the hotel.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average