Key West Hotels

• No1TravelFan profile photo No1TravelFan
  • Reviews: 2

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Wyndham Casa Marina Resort: Nice, but I've seen much better

The hotel room was newly decorated and was pretty. BUT, the bathroom sink was separating from the counter top and the room had NO water pressure for a shower!! The tub even had mold around it. People were friendly, but not very helpful (the whole island is like that). It was like you were putting them out if you asked for anything. I wouldn't reccomend this hotel to people used to the usual luxury resorts. I can't beleive they charge $12/day for things others include for free. Locals were calling this a 5 star resort...I would have to disagree! The restaurant was pretty, but the food was nothing to write home about. This hotel was within walking distance to most everything since the island is so small, although the locals make it sound like it is way too far to walk.

The pool area was pretty and so were the grounds!!! Very nice view for those lucky enough to get an ocean view. The pool guys were very nice and helpful. The waiters & waitresses were just difficult to get help from. They always appeared to be busy (even when it was slow) and would often disapear all together. We couldn't even get our waitress (who didn't speak English) to give us our check after not being able to order our food. The beach is nice to look at, but I wouldn't go into the water. it was stinky and dirty.

• Written February 2, 2005

• frankcanfly profile photo frankcanfly
  • Reviews: 2603

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Wyndham Reach: Wyndham Reach Hotel

Reasonable price, good location, and the home of 'Shula's' restaurant.....

Oceanfront location, with a little sand beach for guest. Free High Speed Internet if you are a Wyndham rewards member. (free to join)

• Written January 29, 2004
Tip Photo

• 4_Beach profile photo 4_Beach
  • Reviews: 1

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Casa Marina Resort: Hassles, Hassles, Hassle in Paradise, the Waldorf

When you rent a room in a hotel, you expect free access to the facility, to be able to come and go without impediment. You don’t expect a gang of thugs (two or more + uniformed police), that were not Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina, Key West staff, to stop you at the hotel entrance and demand identification. Let me repeat, these were not hotel staff members, and actually fellow guest. After some time explaining that you are not a part of the private group that the ruffians are representing, you are grudgingly allowed to pass, only to repeat the process at the other end of the lobby where you need to exit to go to your room. There was no other entrance and egress available. After complaining to the Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina, Key West management, they were powerless, and cowed by this organization that had rented out a portion of the hotel. No one said anything about this group function on reservation or on check in or offered any explanation on check in that would have at least alerted me, a full paying guest, of potential issues. I did find a printed notice in my room that informed me that parts of the grounds and facility were rented out to a private party and would not be available.

When you rent a hotel room, you don’t expect to waste time coming and going, having to deal with non-hotel staff elements that treat you like you don’t belong since you are not one of their group and you don’t deserve to be poked, although inadvertently, with 2-way radio antennae, as you enter an exit a hotel. A shorter person would have likely lost an eye. It’s a free country, and to be accosted by individuals, non-Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina, Key West staff, and identification demanded is just not what we are about in this country – wonder what the guest from outside the US were thinking?

After some thought, we wondered if the private function included individuals that needed such crowd control and a cadre of uniformed officers and were a little concerned for our safety. The Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina, Key West staff seemed to not be in control of their establishment. On further reflection, we think it is a responsibility of the Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina, Key West staff to protect guest from this sort of assault by other guest of the hotel, they were woefully inadequate.

I can understand, and would support having a security detail for a private function to control access, but not to the Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina, Key West itself. I have, been to many private functions, where the function access was controlled. In fact, I attended one last month in Anaheim, at a Hilton property, where a former presidential candidate was behind me in line top check in. I don’t think he would have suffered this indignation that was going on at the Casa, simply because he was not a part of the same function that I was attending.

The AC thermostat did not function, it was either ice cold or off. However, we would stay again, the property is that good, if we had assurance that the access, entrance and egress would not be an issue.

In summary, call ahead to check that you will have full use of the facility, you might have a great time.

The property is very good for a beach resort, the secluded beach, pool and hammocks are delightful. The food was good, and by Key West standards, in line as far as price. We went for relaxation that we achieved, between the hassles of leaving and entering the hotel.

• Related to: Spa and Resort