The Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach

Tags

Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Beaches Cruise
See Amenities
CruisingGoddess's Profile Photo

Wonderful hotel with best location

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 28, 2011

We stayed at this hotel on Thanksgiving weekend for 4 nights before boarding a cruise out of Honolulu. I was very pleased that even though our “City View” room was on the side of the hotel, I could still see the beach from the balcony (or lanai as the Hawaiians call it) when I went out on it and we even watched the sunset over Waikiki Beach from the balcony. The room was very nice and a great size. The decor was subtle and plain but there were Hawaiian touches, like the hula girl lamp. The walls seemed thin though. I’m a light sleeper and was awaken by our neighbors and people talking loudly in the halls a few times. There was also a buzzing sound that drove me bonkers for about 30 minutes on the first night before Chris identified the noise as the air conditioning. (I have this thing were sounds drive me crazy unless I know what it is.)

The staff was very helpful and friendly. When the bellman brought our bags to the room, he explained all of the room and hotel amenities and answered any questions we had. We didn’t have enough change to tip him well but we tipped him again the next time we saw him. He must have remembered us because he later saw me in the gift shop looking at the bamboo beach mats. He called us over to him and took us to a closet where they kept beach stuff abandoned by other guests and let us take our pick of mats and floating rafts! How nice of him!! Anyway, I thought that was awesome. Valet parking at the hotel was a pain. The staff was always courteous and quick to bring the car but the sidewalk in front of the hotel was so busy that every time we pulled into the hotel garage, I was worried we’d hit someone. The staff tries to stop the pedestrians but sometimes they ignore them. To me, valet parking in general is a pain because you have to have someone bring the car around every time you leave or just need to get something out of the car.

The hotel was very busy but we were there during Thanksgiving. Sometimes we had to wait a bit for the elevator and the public areas got pretty crowded. We didn’t eat any meals other than breakfast there but the restaurants looked like they had quite wait during dinner when we walked by. We had the buffet breakfast at Duke’s two mornings and liked it a lot. I LOVED the view from Duke’s. It’s really something to have your breakfast a stone-throw’s away from the sand. The buffet also had a nice variety of good quality food. They even had Portuguese sausage, a local favorite, and of course fresh pineapple! The buffet comes with coffee, tea, and juice. Definitely get the POG juice (passion, orange, and guava)! I’m not a fan of passion fruit or guava but I liked my POG! Definitely the best thing about this hotel is the location, in the middle of Waikiki. It’s surrounded by shops, including International Marketplace and 2 ABC Stores across the street. I wish we had more time to take walk around the Waikiki area because the hotel was in the perfect spot for that so I highly recommend this hotel if you want to be the middle of all the action!

Unique Quality: Right on the beach, Hawaiian touches, Duke's restaurant

csordila's Profile Photo

The very best location on Waikiki

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 14, 2007

If you are looking for luxury, you will not find it here, but everything seems clean and taken care of. If you are looking for a room in a great location with good food and drink, a nice pool and lounge area, then this might be the one for you.

The hotel lies directly on the beach, in the center of Waikiki, in the near of everything. But perhaps the best thing about the location is the fact that you can walk from your room barefoot to the pool, or immediately to the beach.
The small pool with a lot of comfortable sun-beds around is filled up with sea water, but clean and temperate. Drinks are rather expensive, but not far there is a store where you can buy some cans to take to the pool with you.

There are three restaurants inside the building: the Hula Grill Waikiki is first of all for breakfast, Duke’s Canoe Club, the most popular open-air beach bar and Chuck's Steakhouse in Diamond Head corner of lobby level with steaks, fresh seafood and salad bar.

Unique Quality: The hotel has earned Hawaii Visitors & Convention Bureau's respected Kahili Award for guest programs that promote Hawaii’s rich heritage.
Services: free Internet access; safe; direct-dial toll-free and long-distance calls; fridge; coin-operated laundry; coffeemaker, aso.
Hawaiian Airlines flight check-in available in the lobby.

Directions: 9 miles from Honolulu International Airport, 4 miles from downtown Honolulu, 1/4 mile from Kapiolani Park, in the near of Fort DeRussy Miliary Museum and Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center

SunsetAngel's Profile Photo

Never a dull moment

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 27, 2007

Initially, my experience with this hotel was terrible. This was because the travel company I had used had make a huge mistake and not booked a room for my stay, then when I arrived at the hotel I was told there were no rooms! The member of staff (Greg) was truly awful and left me in tears as he told me to "Sleep on the beach as it would be more fun"! Just to explain....I was a lone female from England in Oahu to see to U2 concert. Anyway, I was lucky enough to grab a room at the Hyatt for three nights and then went back to the Outrigger and asked to speak to the manager. Amazingly, she offered me a delux ocean view room for the remainder of my stay and apologised for the treatment I got from Greg.

Unique Quality: The deluxe room really was beautiful, it also had a jacuzzi which you could sit in whilst you looked out across the ocean! The room was quite small but the quality made up for this so it was no big deal.

Directions: Literally on the beach in Waikiki.

Nearby The Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach

• Free High Speed Internet
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Honolulu Travel Forum

Need advice about Honolulu, Hawaii (State of)? Visit the Travel Forum for Honolulu and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Honolulu hotel reviews