PUBLIC Chicago

Kaspian's Profile Photo

The Ambassador East Hotel & The Pump Room

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 6, 2010

I don't know why I find it so unsettling to stay overnight in places like this which have such an illustrious history about them. In its 1930s and 40s heyday The Ambassador East Hotel along with its attached restaurant, The Pump Room, played frequent host to such Hollywood icons as Bette Davis, Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall, Cary Grant, Marlene Dietrich, Judy Garland and her then young daughter, Liza Minnelli. Old blue-eyes himself, Frank Sinatra along with his "Rat Pack" of Sammy Davis Jr. and Dean Martin, used to hold court in the restaurant's famous "Booth One". The bar and restaurant are also mentioned in the famous "Chicago" song.
Although extremely well-kempt and clean, I imagine the hotel has changed very little since its the silver-screen era and it appears as though they have done as much as possible to maintain the hotel and restaurant's historic value in an airless time-capsule. My stomach feels queasy yet excited as I walk the corridor to my room; as though I can sense ghosts of famous intoxicated men in Fedora hats and chain smoking starlets hovering all around me.
While waiting at the elevator, I begin examining a transparent glass pipe running from floor to ceiling before realizing that it's a pneumatic tube--the ones they used to use for transporting messages around buildings.
Returning later in the evening from dinner, my stomach full to a painful bursting with Chicago's famous deep-dish pizza, I hear the most wonderful jazz music floating from the doors of the The Pump Room. A female voice croons sweetly in an magical lounge style that I have only ever heard in movies. I resolve to go upstairs, wash quickly, change into some clean clothes, and come back down to the bar to see what's going on. Unfortunately, once in my room I lay down on on the bed and pass out immediately only to awake the next morning.
There are doormen at The Ambassador East Hotel, dressed in smart uniforms, displaying impeccable by-the-book manners. There are extremely rich people staying here; I can tell by the way they're dressed--coming in and out in suits, Polo shirts, designer dresses, and sometimes with pastel sweaters tied around their necks. Somehow I feel like I don't quite belong here--I'm not famous, rich, or even high-class. I'm just an average dude who lucked out and chose this place at random based on good Internet reviews and a cheap rate. However, I'm glad I did. The Ambassador East and The Pump Room are a part of Chicago's history that should not be missed.

jls274's Profile Photo

Wonderful Experience!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 28, 2007

I stayed int the Ambassador East. A beautiful hotel with extremely kind people working there. I was snowed in and they were great about us extending as as accommodating as possible. Also, when we were taking a shuttle to the airport, we were mistakingly put on the Hotel Van instead of the airport shuttle- same price, but when we went to pay with our debit card, and found that the van guy couldn't take it, he payed for most of our $40.00 trip, himself because we didn't have the cash! My fiance offered to leave me as collateral while he ran inside the airport to an ATM, but the guy told us it wasn't necessary and wished us a nice flight.

Unique Quality: Great historic restaurant downstairs!

KARLPORTER56's Profile Photo

Very Nice HOTEL in a safe part of the City.

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 6, 2006

We arrived early and landed a room about 10 floors up on the corner.. One window faced Lake Michigan the other faced the Hancock Building,, Couldn't ask for anything more.. It was priced very reasonable, The concierge guided us to the subway.. the staff was helpful and friendly..I have no idea where they parked my car...but they did for a nominal fee but kept it safe and drove it to me everytime I wanted it..This is located in a very safe part of Chicago..A short Walking distance to Lake Michigan, Gino's Pizza, Hancock Building and many more sights.. I really don't see how you could get a better deal ..

Unique Quality: Watch out for the cabbies.. They are very aggressive.. One came very close to running over my son in front of the hotel .(perhaps while he took this picture).. He was looking up and not paying attention.. Fortunately I grabbed him and got him out of the way.. the cabbie just acted like nothing unusual just happen..I guess for him he is use to almost running over kids.. For me I quickly realized that this is Chicago and everybody is in an extreme hurry... I don't know why .,..For some reason I felt like Chicago even has more bustle than NYC...

Nearby PUBLIC Chicago

PUBLIC Chicago

• Ambassador East Hotel Chicago
  • Ambassador East Chicago
  • Hotel Ambassador East
  • Public Chicago Hotel Chicago

Address: 1301 North State Parkway, (formerly Omni Ambassador East), Chicago, Illinois, 60610, United States

7 Photos of PUBLIC Chicago

• Free High Speed Internet
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Chicago Travel Forum

Need advice about Chicago, Illinois? Visit the Travel Forum for Chicago and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Chicago hotel reviews

Grant Park - Buckingham Fountain
Shedd Aquarium
Museums
Off The Beaten Path
METRA and South Shore Line (suburban rail network)
Oak Park/Frank Lloyd Wright
Signature Room at the 95th
Lou Malnati's
Restaurants
Amtrak (U.S. train network)
Trolleys (some are FREE)
Greek Islands
Boat Tours & Taxis
Basketball - Chicago Bulls
Sports & Outdoors
Greyhound/Megabus (U.S. bus system)
Eating & drinking