#2 of 6 hotels in Evanston
TripAdvisor Traveler Rating
Based on 968 reviews
Hilton.com Booking.com
wood_brothers21's Profile Photo

A handsome old gal with few imperfections

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 4, 2009

My wife and I searched the online travel services thoroughly prior to our trip to the Chicagoland area. We've been away for about 12 years but had lived in the city proper for over 30 years, so we were well acquainted with the quality and location of most of the establishments in the lists presented to us. Most of our friends, family and acquaintances live in the city itself or the collar suburbs so an outlying (and cheaper) accommodation choice was impossible, while we rented a car, the travel times commuting between the suburban locales are just a waste of precious time. I found it strange that the online Hotel Orrington price was about the same as a "budget" class motel located in Rodgers Park on the far northern end of the city so we happily chose Hotel Orrington.

We arrived on a Saturday afternoon and the place looked to be "up for grabs". They had several wedding parties arriving and all the hubbub was simply amazing. It appeared that the volume was a little more than the staff could handle at that particular point in time. I didn't want to pay $20.00 (and all the tips) for valet parking so we pulled to the outside of the driveway and schlepped our bags to the sidewalk, I assumed I would be approached by a member of the staff but was not, so my wife went in and got things moving "in our direction". Check-in was handled masterfully by their staff, we asked for a small fridge and it was delivered almost immediately, the staff brought us ice as well, so far so good.

Their available selection of television channels is very very poor, much less than basic cable although you can view movies on demand &c.

The room itself is nicely appointed with shutters as opposed to smelly draperies. There's a flat screen TV which sits upon a closet/credenza piece of furniture, a desk, a comfortable chair and ottoman, the requisite clock radio also played CDs. Someone had left their Frank Sinatra CD within the player in our room 438.

A four dollar bottle of water rested upon the desk and expensive snacks were stored within a drawer of the credenza, we were given a key to the mini-bar but never even opened their "treasure chest".

The room looked out west/northwest above the roof of other parts of the hotel. Large commercial HVAC units which occupied the roof space, hummed and droned incessantly and disturbed any quietude that might be desired. This brings me to the A/C unit in the room which is controlled via a thermostat by the room's door. THE AIR CONDITIONER WAS TOO FREAKING LOUD! So loud you had to turn up the volume of the television to almost unacceptable levels, so loud it woke me up when it came on at night so we had to resort to tuning it off each evening, UGH!

There was a weird configuration of pillows on the large comfortable bed which was accompanied by a bolster of sorts. A comforter was sandwiched between two sheets served as one's top sheet, which was almost too hot, especially when the air conditioner was turned off.

While the room itself was larger than expected, the bathroom (especially the sink) was smaller than I thought it would be. The accompanying Aveda toiletries were a treat as their scent didn't affect my breathing. The quality of towels and their number was great. No dirt was found on the bottom of my socks after walking through the room for hours in my white stocking feet.

The staff were friendly for the most part except for one brief moment of indifference when my wife attempted to reolve a billing error. Housekeeping forgot to clean our room during the last day of our stay but wanted to interrupt our packing efforts to do so late in the day which we disallowed. They made a half hearted effort at cleaning it while we were gone later in the evening.

We parked in the public lots a couple of blocks away from the hotel instead of paying $140.00 to valet park for seven days, we saved at least half that price. Parking overnight on downtown Evanston streets is prohibited and is enforced as I saw many cars receive tickets.

Unique Quality: Aveda toiletries
Shutters instead of draperies
Convenient location

Directions: Downtown Evanston

Add to your Trip Planner
TRimer's Profile Photo

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 26, 2005

Yes, I stayed in the Orrington before it had its $32 million face-lift. And I also lived across the street from the hotel for 2 years and attended many, many corporate recruiting events there while attending Kellogg (we also considered The Huddle bar to be our second home).

While the hotel has now acheived historic landmark status, the hotel has been renovated (and renamed) so that I hardly recognize it.

Unique Quality: On the third floor is a complimentary fitness center, complete with towels, a water cooler, and fresh fruit. The hotel also provides a free shuttle to a nearby athletic club, where guests can buy a daily or weekly pass to utilize a wide range of fitness resources, including aerobics classes, a climbing wall, a swimming pool, and strength-training equipment.

A restaurant featuring chef Jackie Pluton is supposed to open in Spring 2005.

Directions: Downtown Evanston (between Church and Clark Streets)

If taking the El or Metra, use the Davis Street stop.

The hotel also has valet parking.

Add to your Trip Planner

Nearby Hotel Orrington

• Hilton Orrington Hotel Evanston

Address: 1710 Orrington Ave, (formerly Omni Orrington), Evanston, Illinois, 60201, United States

1 Photo of Hotel Orrington

• Business Services
  • Pets Allowed
  • Bar / Lounge

Evanston Travel Forum

Need advice about Evanston, Illinois? Visit the Travel Forum for Evanston and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Evanston hotel reviews

Holiday Inn Chicago North Evanston
Terrible (1.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Explore Deeper into Evanston
Attend a Northwestern Football Game
Things to Do
Must visit for serious gourmands- now closed
Fresh Italian
Exclusive crafts
Shopping
Wild Horses and Windmills
Things to Do
Small Restaurant With Big Reputation...
Evanston Library
General
Our Own Vt Tour Guide: Pedersdottir (Katja)
Known For Its Fine Restaurants, Evanston Excels
For Great Pizza Try....
Restaurants
Part of Northwestern Sits on Lake Michigan!
Things to Do
Museums Galore in Evanston!
While in Evanston, Tour Northwestern Campus
Formerly Known As Ridgeville
Famous Evanston Streets
For liquid treats...
Restaurants
If you like unremarkable Pan-Asian food, go to...
Baha'i House of Worship