Holiday Inn Express Louisville I-265 East

TripAdvisor Traveler Rating
Based on 97 reviews
Hotels.com Expedia.com

Stay FAR FAR away.

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 12, 2012

I've never had such an awful hotel experience in my life. I'm a professional (Biomedical Engineer and Registered Nurse) who was traveling for leisure with my aunt and four children under the age of 9. We had two rooms reserved using the friends and family rate, had driven 8 hours, and were weary, to say the least. The acting night manager, Tom, seemed poised for a fight from the minute we walked in. He promptly told me we would have to show proof of our rate (which was not a problem, but we didn't realize it was a requirement as other HIE's hadn't done the same). As my aunt tried to tell him she wished we had known before arriving, he became quickly agitated. He offered to cancel my reservation and explained that "THIS establishment follows the rules.." I told him it wasn't a problem, that I could print the proof in the business center. For some reason, he just kept going on and on and raising the level of his voice as he did so. I asked him at least twice to please lower his voice in front of my children, but he kept going and going. I had to send the kids across the room, as this was getting embarrassing. He told us that "friends and family customers are the WORST to deal with," and explained that he has had to call the police on people like us before and he wasn't afraid to do it again. I was SO COMPLETELY CONFUSED because we HAD the proof and he just wasn't listening to us! I took my room key and brought my family to my room so we could use the bathroom before unpacking and within 1 minute of opening the door to the suite, he called up and told me he had spoken to the owner (Rakish, or something) and we had "15 minutes to get the proof of our rate to the front desk." OH MY GOSH, I was on the verge of tears, my aunt was EXTREMELY upset, and I had a 1 year old with a poopy diaper and the other children were exhausted and needed to use the restroom. The icing on the cake was that the "non smoking" room had been smoked in. I had two asthmatic children with me (one on a round of prednisone for her asthma)...so this was a deal breaker for me. I calmly took my family down to the business center, printed my proof, brought it to the desk, told him the room was smoked in and that I'd be taking him up on his offer to refund our money. He began to talk rudely about my aunt, telling me to "keep her in check" (she was printing her voucher) and I had to stop him. I told him it was OVER and I was leaving and I was not going to teach my children that it was okay to be bullied by others. He was condescending and just plain mean to us...I was embarrassed to be a part of the awful display. He refunded my room, but refused to refund my aunt. What a joke...and plain discriminatory. We went to the car together and as we sat in the parking lot trying to decide where to go next, he RAN up to our window waving the voucher I had printed in his hand. I rolled down the window and he (still with a raised voice) handed it over and said, "LOOK!" He had circled the fine print which stated the voucher had to be printed. I felt like I had jumped back in time to about 3rd grade...I wasn't even sure WHY he felt like he needed to do that...as we had clearly left the building and were done with the conversation. Furthermore, we HAD THE PROOF OF THE RATE. I'm sorry, but the $50 we would have saved was NOT worth the humiliation we endured. My aunt got the money back from corporate HIE. They lost our $300, but more importantly, they lost my entire family's business from here on out. The funny thing is, the entire interaction was a misunderstanding, but he was too stubborn to listen to what we were saying.

Do yourself a favor, book at the Hampton Inn across the street. They'll treat you like you're human...

Unique Quality: I wouldn't know...they were rude from the minute I walked in.

Add to your Trip Planner

• Suites
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Free High Speed Internet

Louisville Travel Forum

Need advice about Louisville, Kentucky? Visit the Travel Forum for Louisville and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Louisville hotel reviews

Old And Really Nice
Churchill Downs
Louisville Zoo
Things to Do
Fine place to fill ones belly.
Restaurants
Casual clinky dish hole-in-the-wall.
Restaurants
A better-than-average Mexican food experience.
BBQ
Restaurants
Wanna Fight? Or just a taco?
Artisan Pizza
Excellent Coffee, In-House Roast
Is it really famous?
Restaurants
A racetrack like no others
Theft by Mega Cavern
Fantastic - Glassworks!
Relax in a Cruise on the Ohio River
Stop in for some Candy! Schimpffs
Things to Do
Mahammad Ali Center: Tribute to Ali & more!
Things to Do
Cave Hill Cemetery: Beautiful & Serene!
Things to Do
Churchill Downs Museum- Experience the Thrill!
Things to Do
City Taste Tours: Lots to See & Taste!
University of Louisville