New Orleans Hotels

Our Members Say

• grant_was_here profile photo grant_was_here
  • Reviews: 18

Bayou Segnette State Park Campground: Bayou Segnette SP Campground

Have you ever camped out in the swamp? Well, here is your chance!

It is a good place to stay for those of you on a road trip wanting to visit New Orleans. It's about a 30 minute drive from the French Quarter and provides a very direct experience of the louisiana swamplands.

Be prepared for many insects.

Otherwise the campground has very cozy tent/RV sites. The sites have a lot of privacy due to the thick vegetation.

I visited during the month of July, and surprisingly the heat was more bearable at the campsite than the city - the thick vegetation and the wet swamp create a natural AC.

What better way to spend the night after a chrocodile swamp tour - then to sleep in the swamp! well - not really - it's surrounded by it.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Road Trip, National/State Park, Budget Travel
  • Written January 27, 2006
Tip Photo

this is very close to the campground.

• jadedmuse profile photo jadedmuse
  • Reviews: 611

Staying in the French Quarter

Hotels that are in the French Quarter (where you want to be if you're looking for
round-the-clock action) and which have a very French Quarter feel to them in
terms of design and architecture - AND which are reasonably priced, are:

> St. Ann Marie Antoinette Hotel(on Conti St)
> Andrew Jackson Hotel (Royal St.)
> Hotel St. Marie (Toulouse St.)
> Dauphine Orleans Hotel (Dauphine St.)
> French Market Inn (Decatur St.)
> Prince Conti Hotel (Conti St.)
> Place D'Armes (St. Ann St.)
> St. Pierre Hotel (Burgundy St.)

And for a special treat, check out the Monteleone Hotel on Royal St. (I wrote about the Carousel Bar in one of my tips. It's a landmark in the Quarter, and a place with a lot of character. )You can see more of it at its website Hotel Monteleone.

And finally, there's also a cool guesthouse called Lamothe House (on Esplanade which is the very edge of the French Quarter.
It's within walking distance of the French Quarter ) (the blocks go from 100 to
1000, with residential areas starting around the 700 blocks. Sometimes it can
be a bit dicey from the 800 block up to Esplanade, but if you're gutsy and in
the mood for some very cool atmosphere (and if the other hotels are booked),
this could be your spot. It's very "French Quarter" in its ambience.

For some great deals (and New Orleans can serve up some surprisingly great deals, depending on when you go), go to the Orbitz website.

This link takes you to the main New Orleans page where it shows the various sections (such as French Quarter, Garden District, Central Business District, etc).

Once you're there, just click on "French Quarter" link and you'll see the hotels I've listed PLUS many more.

Good Luck! Here's the website:

Orbitz-New Orleans Accomodations

• Written August 23, 2005

• starship profile photo starship
  • Reviews: 1210

Best Western Landmark Hotel: Between the French Quarter and the Airport

About a half hour before leaving the great city of New Orleans we learned that our flight had been overbooked. When the airlines offered us 2 roundtrip tickets per person, a hotel for the night and vouchers for dinner and breakfast for each of us if we agreed to be "bumped" from our scheduled flight, we jumped at the chance!! (Who can turn down free travel!?!?) The hotel the airline put us up in for the night was the Best Western Landmark Hotel, a high-rise, cylinder shaped hotel in Metarie. It was a run-down, characterless hotel, but we had a large room, ensuite of course, and there was a bar and dining room on the top floor (about 10 stories high) with quite a view of the surrounding area. The best feature of this hotel was that it was only 3 blocks from a very nice mall which gave us something to do the next morning before our flight.

Had the room not been free courtesy of the airline "bump" we took, we certainly would not have chosen this hotel. However, it is not without guests--a few other groups were having a reunion or meeting here.

Good points -- the room was large, there was a dining room and bar on the top floor, and there was a free shuttle to and from the airport, it was close to a nice mall, and there was a gift shop in the lobby.

• Written May 7, 2005

• gblinda profile photo gblinda
  • Reviews: 3

Bed and Beverage Guest Apartments: A loud New Orleans apartment

Well, it's a lovely apartment...however, I was expecting this raucous, loud, fun scene. I never discovered it, at least at the apartments where I was staying. I stayed in the 2nd floor balcony studio apartment on Royal (it's definitely not a one bedroom, more of a studio/kitchenette). At 6:00 a.m. it's very bright and VERY loud. I came back yesterday and I am still tired. You can have all of the windows closed and it is still very loud. The shower in the bathroom leaves a lot to be desired. I don't care that things are old, I prefer that but I would like just a bit of water pressure and for the temperature to hold as you pull the knob from bath to shower. It took a good 10 minutes to get the water not too cold and not too hot every day. I never knew where the main building was and I would have liked to have witnessed some of the activities listed in the other reviews so I never got to meet the infamous Blake or partake of the daily happy hour.

We had a swimming pool and it was a lovely courtyard. Beautiful weather but still too cold for swmming, there were a few brave souls that gave it a shot.

Other than that, the apartment is quite nice and I would recommend renting an apartment over a hotel room any time in New Orleans, however, if you need your sleep like I do, do not get a room with a balcony, especially if you're going to be sleeping right next to the street!

Pricewise, I don't know why all the other reviewers got their rooms for so cheap, mine was $149 a night.

Perfect location! Lafitte's and Clover Grill are right around the corner, French Market 2 blocks in the other direction. Loved it.

The private balcony is great and the pool in the courtyard is really nice, but too cold.

• Written April 19, 2005

• ATXtraveler profile photo ATXtraveler
  • Reviews: 2076

Courtyard by Marriott - Metairie: Out of town in Metairie

To avoid the crowds, and get a decent night sleep during Mardi Gras, and because we booked rather late, we ended up staying in Metairie, which is just west of New Orleans.

The room was great, and we had 5 people cram in there with no problem.

The hospitality was fine, and they even called cabs for us each evening that took us downtown. The cab ride was about $20 bucks there and $20 bucks back, so realistically plan on spending $40 dollars less on hotel rooms in Metairie or it would not be worth it.

• Written February 8, 2005
Tip Photo

Dave on the floor in Metairie

• grandmaR profile photo grandmaR
  • Reviews: 7202

New Orleans Grand Palace: Not so Grand?

I have not stayed in this hotel.

When I looked at the VT list of hotels and their addresses, the address corresponded to that of the Crecent on Canal. So that's where I listed it.

On the internet, I found:

Rid of its rodents, hotel asks to reopen
Health department to make case to judge

Friday, December 03, 2004
By Leslie Williams
Staff writer for the Times-Picayune

"The New Orleans Grand Palace Hotel, ordered closed more than a week ago, has apparently solved its rodent problem and likely will reopen today. "

The hotel is north of I-10 and is a half mile from the Superdome and 8 blocks from the French Quarter, although the Canal Street streetcar runs right down Canal Street. It has the same address as a hotel called Crescent on Canal.

Our newly refurbished rooms are all oversized and feature coffee makers, in-room movies and video games, in-room safes for your comfort in the Big Easy. Valet parking is provided for your convenience.

Self parking: $10 per 24-hour period.

Penelope’s - Serves a daily Continental breakfast (surcharge).

• Related to: Business Travel, Budget Travel, Road Trip
  • Written December 23, 2004
Tip Photo

Two pictures from the street

• knerten profile photo knerten
  • Reviews: 311

Barbara Martin's Bed and Breakfast: Quiet and safe

I've stayed here 3 times during 2001-2002. It's not centrally located, but in quite residential area. With an extremely welcoming host, it's always a pleasure to return here.

Several rooms, some with private bath, also a cabin in the back garden. A lush green backyard. Big breakfast. If you get to know Barb well, she might even let you do your own self-catering.

• Written December 1, 2004

• HolgerK profile photo HolgerK
  • Reviews: 31

Hyatt Regency New Orleans: high rate but not high rated

Ideally located during Mardi Gras, since you're right at the corner to the french quarter, but not cut off from the transportation infrastructure (roads in and out) as you would be within French Quarter.
Hotel complex is too big, almost like a factory and you tend to get a little lost. Rooms are in good condition but plushy design is clearly dated.
The regular rate in my view isn't justified for this hotel

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written August 16, 2004

• lar-n-me profile photo lar-n-me
  • Reviews: 164
bugs bugs bugs: southern hospitality

....southern hospitality and not from the staff.
I don't remember the hotel we stayed at (somewhere in the outskirts of town), but we'd decided to deny daily room service while we were there. We didn't realize, though, that part of room service actually included pest control.... ended up with an early ant problem and a cockroach wanting to share the bed.
I highly recommend daily room service if you're staying anywhere other than the elite of the elite.

• Written April 30, 2004

• BuickMackane profile photo BuickMackane
  • Reviews: 204

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

AmeriHost Inn and Suites (formerly Clarion Hotel): AmeriHost/Clarion: Debit Card DISASTER!!!!!!!!!!!

WARNING UPDATE: The AmeriHost Inn and Suites is the new name of the Clarion Hotel.

Every visitor to New Orleans has literally hundreds of choices when it comes to lodging, and this place should NOT be one of them.

The only reason we picked the Clarion was to take advantage of a special discount rate, but it turned out to be a disaster. The desk clerk who checked us in did not honor the rate at which he reserved our room over the telephone. Instead, he checked us in at full rack rate, even though we immediately disputed it and crossed off the price on the registration card. Not only did the hotel night auditor fail to correct the discrepancy in the room rate, but the auditor took an additional preauthorization against our debit card until it was tied up for $550.00 more than the total amount of room and tax for our entire stay!

The morning desk staff were gracious and instantly took steps to rectify this disastrous situation, but it still didn't get resolved. We then got a telephone call from the General Manager, but instead of an apology for overdrawing our checking account by several hundred dollars, she proceeded to inform us that she had "a problem with the rate" because of the discount we were entitled to. Talk about adding insult to injury!

Meanwhile, with all our cash in limbo, we spent the weekend sitting around the hotel room doing next to nothing, because we were afraid we wouldn't have enough money to get home. Sure enough, on the morning we were due to check out, someone repeatedly hammered on our door while we were sleeping and we discovered a bill slipped underneath which still had us overcharged by well over a hundred dollars. We went down to sort it out at the front desk, but the clerk didn't even want a signature on the corrected final bill, which was very disconcerting.

It would have been nice to write an upbeat review about things like the old-fashioned Manhattan-style grandeur of the hotel, but having our cash swiped out from underneath us when we were hundreds of miles from home completely overshadowed what we hoped would be a wonderful experience. BUYER BEWARE!!!

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written April 25, 2004
Tip Photo

Beignets-all we could afford!

• Virtuous_Tourist profile photo Virtuous_Tourist
  • Reviews: 274
Saint Ann Marie Antoinette Hotel: A popular place to stay in the French Quarter

At the St Ann/Marie Antoinette Hotel, you are surrounded by the privacy and comfort of a genteel southern lifestyle. Amenities such as a 24-hour concierge and bell desk service, complimentary newspaper, tropical courtyard and pool, and cable television set this charming property apart from the rest. Centrally located in the heart of the French Quarter, the St. Ann Marie Antoinette offers the charm of a fine French Quarter residence.

• Written December 1, 2003
Tip Photo

• cromette profile photo cromette
  • Reviews: 21

New Orleans Reservations: The Personal Touch

When we went to New Orleans for St. Patrick's Day, I had a hard time finding reservations at any of our regular places.

I began looking online for alternatives, and ran across New Orleans Reservations. I loved their website, so I gave them a call and requested a room by number.

The room they booked for me did not appear on their website, so I was a little nervous.

However, the host was wonderfully helpful and friendly upon our arrival. We stayed in an upstairs apartment within his residence. It was quite spacious, with a complete kitchen and a private bath, plenty of linens, and everything we needed. It had a wonderful rooftop view.

I was worried about privacy, but it wasn't an issue. Unless we wanted to come in contact with the host family, we really did not see or hear them except when we were on the stairs.

This type of arrangement would not be my first choice, but for the price...in the French Quarter, I could not complain one bit, and I would do it again in a pinch.

New Orleans Reservations have many accomodations in various locations around the French Quarter. Our particular suite boasted a beautiful rooftop view in a lovely French Quarter residence. There was a full kitchen, roomy bathroom, and the host family was knowledgable about New Orleans history and the history of the home we were staying in. They even let me use their personal computer to take care of our flight out!

• Related to: Budget Travel, Business Travel, Family Travel
  • Written September 11, 2003

Picture from New Orleans Reservation website

• Helga67 profile photo Helga67
  • Reviews: 2612

Days Inn

The Days Inn motel is clean and cheap. It's close to Louis Armstrong International airport and an I10 exit. It's a recommendable motel after arriving from a long and tired flight and before starting a roundtrip thru Louisiana. There's a swimming-pool and breakfast is included (coffee, fruit juice, donuts, danish).
Be sure to ask for a room in the innercourt, near the swimming-pool (less noise of the busy street).

Rooms are big with 2 double beds, a TV, a fully equiped bathroom, a minibar and microwave.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written May 13, 2003

Days Inn

• Jmill42 profile photo Jmill42
  • Reviews: 1072

General info about where to stay: Location, location, location

This tip is dedicted to making sure that VT'ers know what area to stay. The 3 big areas that are important to know are: uptown, downtown, and Metarie. Metarie is a city about 10-15 minutes drive from downtown NOLA. It is where Armstrong airport (the one you will fly into) is located. Prices are definitely cheaper here, but you are FAR from the action. Uptown and downtown are seperated by the Lee's Circle monument (right along I-10, the main interstate through NOLA). Most places along St Charles Avenue are very close to Lee's Circle and are RIGHT on the streetcar route. They tend to be a little cheaper than places directly in the Quarter and are very nice. Once again, being right along the streetcar, allows very easy access to the Quarter (5 minute ride at $1.25). Then there is downtown. Every chain known to man is located in the Quarter. If you are going to spring for the prices down here, get something right on Bourbon, if you can. The balconies are a great source of amusement, fun, and envy! If you are not looking for that much excitement, hotels one or two streets over, like on Royal St, are very good.

Look at the map to get a general idea of the places I am talking about. Excuse the "mouse-writing."

• Written December 19, 2002
Tip Photo

• acemj profile photo acemj
  • Reviews: 4857

Hotel central: Plenty of options

On the upriver side of the Quarter, you'll see a bunch of hotel options. All the major hotels are here including the Sheraton, Marriot, Hilton, Hyatt and Wyndham.

• Written November 20, 2002