New Orleans Hotels

Our Members Say

• starship profile photo starship
  • Reviews: 1224

Best Western Landmark Hotel: Between the French Quarter and the Airport

About a half hour before leaving the great city of New Orleans we learned that our flight had been overbooked. When the airlines offered us 2 roundtrip tickets per person, a hotel for the night and vouchers for dinner and breakfast for each of us if we agreed to be "bumped" from our scheduled flight, we jumped at the chance!! (Who can turn down free travel!?!?) The hotel the airline put us up in for the night was the Best Western Landmark Hotel, a high-rise, cylinder shaped hotel in Metarie. It was a run-down, characterless hotel, but we had a large room, ensuite of course, and there was a bar and dining room on the top floor (about 10 stories high) with quite a view of the surrounding area. The best feature of this hotel was that it was only 3 blocks from a very nice mall which gave us something to do the next morning before our flight.

Had the room not been free courtesy of the airline "bump" we took, we certainly would not have chosen this hotel. However, it is not without guests--a few other groups were having a reunion or meeting here.

Good points -- the room was large, there was a dining room and bar on the top floor, and there was a free shuttle to and from the airport, it was close to a nice mall, and there was a gift shop in the lobby.

• Written May 7, 2005

• BuickMackane profile photo BuickMackane
  • Reviews: 204

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

AmeriHost Inn and Suites (formerly Clarion Hotel): AmeriHost/Clarion: Debit Card DISASTER!!!!!!!!!!!

WARNING UPDATE: The AmeriHost Inn and Suites is the new name of the Clarion Hotel.

Every visitor to New Orleans has literally hundreds of choices when it comes to lodging, and this place should NOT be one of them.

The only reason we picked the Clarion was to take advantage of a special discount rate, but it turned out to be a disaster. The desk clerk who checked us in did not honor the rate at which he reserved our room over the telephone. Instead, he checked us in at full rack rate, even though we immediately disputed it and crossed off the price on the registration card. Not only did the hotel night auditor fail to correct the discrepancy in the room rate, but the auditor took an additional preauthorization against our debit card until it was tied up for $550.00 more than the total amount of room and tax for our entire stay!

The morning desk staff were gracious and instantly took steps to rectify this disastrous situation, but it still didn't get resolved. We then got a telephone call from the General Manager, but instead of an apology for overdrawing our checking account by several hundred dollars, she proceeded to inform us that she had "a problem with the rate" because of the discount we were entitled to. Talk about adding insult to injury!

Meanwhile, with all our cash in limbo, we spent the weekend sitting around the hotel room doing next to nothing, because we were afraid we wouldn't have enough money to get home. Sure enough, on the morning we were due to check out, someone repeatedly hammered on our door while we were sleeping and we discovered a bill slipped underneath which still had us overcharged by well over a hundred dollars. We went down to sort it out at the front desk, but the clerk didn't even want a signature on the corrected final bill, which was very disconcerting.

It would have been nice to write an upbeat review about things like the old-fashioned Manhattan-style grandeur of the hotel, but having our cash swiped out from underneath us when we were hundreds of miles from home completely overshadowed what we hoped would be a wonderful experience. BUYER BEWARE!!!

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written April 25, 2004
Tip Photo

Beignets-all we could afford!

• ATXtraveler profile photo ATXtraveler
  • Reviews: 2076

Courtyard by Marriott - Metairie: Out of town in Metairie

To avoid the crowds, and get a decent night sleep during Mardi Gras, and because we booked rather late, we ended up staying in Metairie, which is just west of New Orleans.

The room was great, and we had 5 people cram in there with no problem.

The hospitality was fine, and they even called cabs for us each evening that took us downtown. The cab ride was about $20 bucks there and $20 bucks back, so realistically plan on spending $40 dollars less on hotel rooms in Metairie or it would not be worth it.

• Written February 8, 2005
Tip Photo

Dave on the floor in Metairie

• cromette profile photo cromette
  • Reviews: 21

New Orleans Reservations: The Personal Touch

When we went to New Orleans for St. Patrick's Day, I had a hard time finding reservations at any of our regular places.

I began looking online for alternatives, and ran across New Orleans Reservations. I loved their website, so I gave them a call and requested a room by number.

The room they booked for me did not appear on their website, so I was a little nervous.

However, the host was wonderfully helpful and friendly upon our arrival. We stayed in an upstairs apartment within his residence. It was quite spacious, with a complete kitchen and a private bath, plenty of linens, and everything we needed. It had a wonderful rooftop view.

I was worried about privacy, but it wasn't an issue. Unless we wanted to come in contact with the host family, we really did not see or hear them except when we were on the stairs.

This type of arrangement would not be my first choice, but for the price...in the French Quarter, I could not complain one bit, and I would do it again in a pinch.

New Orleans Reservations have many accomodations in various locations around the French Quarter. Our particular suite boasted a beautiful rooftop view in a lovely French Quarter residence. There was a full kitchen, roomy bathroom, and the host family was knowledgable about New Orleans history and the history of the home we were staying in. They even let me use their personal computer to take care of our flight out!

• Related to: Budget Travel, Business Travel, Family Travel
  • Written September 11, 2003

Picture from New Orleans Reservation website

• Helga67 profile photo Helga67
  • Reviews: 2612

Days Inn

The Days Inn motel is clean and cheap. It's close to Louis Armstrong International airport and an I10 exit. It's a recommendable motel after arriving from a long and tired flight and before starting a roundtrip thru Louisiana. There's a swimming-pool and breakfast is included (coffee, fruit juice, donuts, danish).
Be sure to ask for a room in the innercourt, near the swimming-pool (less noise of the busy street).

Rooms are big with 2 double beds, a TV, a fully equiped bathroom, a minibar and microwave.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written May 13, 2003

Days Inn

• Jmill42 profile photo Jmill42
  • Reviews: 1072

General info about where to stay: Location, location, location

This tip is dedicted to making sure that VT'ers know what area to stay. The 3 big areas that are important to know are: uptown, downtown, and Metarie. Metarie is a city about 10-15 minutes drive from downtown NOLA. It is where Armstrong airport (the one you will fly into) is located. Prices are definitely cheaper here, but you are FAR from the action. Uptown and downtown are seperated by the Lee's Circle monument (right along I-10, the main interstate through NOLA). Most places along St Charles Avenue are very close to Lee's Circle and are RIGHT on the streetcar route. They tend to be a little cheaper than places directly in the Quarter and are very nice. Once again, being right along the streetcar, allows very easy access to the Quarter (5 minute ride at $1.25). Then there is downtown. Every chain known to man is located in the Quarter. If you are going to spring for the prices down here, get something right on Bourbon, if you can. The balconies are a great source of amusement, fun, and envy! If you are not looking for that much excitement, hotels one or two streets over, like on Royal St, are very good.

Look at the map to get a general idea of the places I am talking about. Excuse the "mouse-writing."

• Written December 19, 2002
Tip Photo

• kokoryko profile photo kokoryko
  • Reviews: 1779

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Queen and crescent hotel: I was lucky to find this one!

When you arrive on short notice in New Orleans during festivals (Mardi Gras, French Quarter festival. . ) be prepared to pay a lot for a hotel room, or stay far from the city!
I had booked a nearby hotel, but I arrived one day late and had to look for new accommodation. It was an “adventure”: the guys from the first hotel said sorry, but phoned around and at one point they told me to go to the Queen and Crescent, meet Mr XYZ at that hotel, but not the main entrance, a side door; I was welcomed in a dark room where telexes (Yes like in the seventies!) were crackling frenetically, guys in white shirts, their sleeves held high with armbands were sitting behind writing machines. . . ; Mr XYZ solved my problem, found a room I had to pay immediately (credit card) without knowing if in fact these guys worked for the hotel. Five minutes later when I arrived at the front desk, all was settled, I had a room for 5 days. . . etc. . .
This funny adventure is the only really memorable thing I had in this hotel; the room was all right, clean, small, with very old fashioned furniture, but OK for me. Breakfasts a bit simple, but I have no big requirements.
So, as I was on company money, I cannot complain. . . and the good thing is that I was two blocks from the French Quarter, which is invaluable!
Finally, I had a satisfying stay there, and I always prefer the small hotels and brands rather than the big ones which are also very present in the area, but so less personal! But I admit that I would have less booking-rebooking problems with these ones!

• Related to: Arts and Culture, Festivals, Business Travel
  • Written July 25, 2011
Tip Photo

• jadedmuse profile photo jadedmuse
  • Reviews: 611

Staying in the French Quarter

Hotels that are in the French Quarter (where you want to be if you're looking for
round-the-clock action) and which have a very French Quarter feel to them in
terms of design and architecture - AND which are reasonably priced, are:

> St. Ann Marie Antoinette Hotel(on Conti St)
> Andrew Jackson Hotel (Royal St.)
> Hotel St. Marie (Toulouse St.)
> Dauphine Orleans Hotel (Dauphine St.)
> French Market Inn (Decatur St.)
> Prince Conti Hotel (Conti St.)
> Place D'Armes (St. Ann St.)
> St. Pierre Hotel (Burgundy St.)

And for a special treat, check out the Monteleone Hotel on Royal St. (I wrote about the Carousel Bar in one of my tips. It's a landmark in the Quarter, and a place with a lot of character. )You can see more of it at its website Hotel Monteleone.

And finally, there's also a cool guesthouse called Lamothe House (on Esplanade which is the very edge of the French Quarter.
It's within walking distance of the French Quarter ) (the blocks go from 100 to
1000, with residential areas starting around the 700 blocks. Sometimes it can
be a bit dicey from the 800 block up to Esplanade, but if you're gutsy and in
the mood for some very cool atmosphere (and if the other hotels are booked),
this could be your spot. It's very "French Quarter" in its ambience.

For some great deals (and New Orleans can serve up some surprisingly great deals, depending on when you go), go to the Orbitz website.

This link takes you to the main New Orleans page where it shows the various sections (such as French Quarter, Garden District, Central Business District, etc).

Once you're there, just click on "French Quarter" link and you'll see the hotels I've listed PLUS many more.

Good Luck! Here's the website:

Orbitz-New Orleans Accomodations

• Written August 23, 2005

• grandmaR profile photo grandmaR
  • Reviews: 7217

New Orleans Grand Palace: Not so Grand?

I have not stayed in this hotel.

When I looked at the VT list of hotels and their addresses, the address corresponded to that of the Crecent on Canal. So that's where I listed it.

On the internet, I found:

Rid of its rodents, hotel asks to reopen
Health department to make case to judge

Friday, December 03, 2004
By Leslie Williams
Staff writer for the Times-Picayune

"The New Orleans Grand Palace Hotel, ordered closed more than a week ago, has apparently solved its rodent problem and likely will reopen today. "

The hotel is north of I-10 and is a half mile from the Superdome and 8 blocks from the French Quarter, although the Canal Street streetcar runs right down Canal Street. It has the same address as a hotel called Crescent on Canal.

Our newly refurbished rooms are all oversized and feature coffee makers, in-room movies and video games, in-room safes for your comfort in the Big Easy. Valet parking is provided for your convenience.

Self parking: $10 per 24-hour period.

Penelope’s - Serves a daily Continental breakfast (surcharge).

• Related to: Business Travel, Budget Travel, Road Trip
  • Written December 23, 2004
Tip Photo

Two pictures from the street

• Travmad profile photo Travmad
  • Reviews: 159

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Quality Inn & Suites Maison St. Charles: Just out of the CBD

We had a Suite that was in an older part of the property with a closed up fire place in both rooms, high ceilings and an old feel that I liked. Buffet breakfast was served everyday near a sociable court yard. The pool was a bit small but was a nice escape for a hour a day. The staff was friendly and helpful. The Charles Steet trolley can pick you up right outside of the hotel for a quick lift into the city or if your relatively fit it's an easy walk to the city or the convention center. I would stay here again.

• Related to: Luxury Travel, Family Travel, Business Travel
  • Written June 17, 2011

• knerten profile photo knerten
  • Reviews: 311

Barbara Martin's Bed and Breakfast: Quiet and safe

I've stayed here 3 times during 2001-2002. It's not centrally located, but in quite residential area. With an extremely welcoming host, it's always a pleasure to return here.

Several rooms, some with private bath, also a cabin in the back garden. A lush green backyard. Big breakfast. If you get to know Barb well, she might even let you do your own self-catering.

• Written December 1, 2004

• leo.weeks profile photo leo.weeks
  • Reviews: 9

St Louis Hotel: Good Location

We chose this hotel becuase it had a good location for the price and even though I new better "you only get what you pay for" applys. We called to ensure we would have a King size bed before we made the reservations (I am slightly taller than average). Well, we arrived early and waited for check in time and when I finally got to the desk (there were several people in front of me with complaints) I was checked in and given key. I went to check the room and found out it was a very small queen size or large double size bed and the room itself was only a few feet bigger than the bed. I went back to the desk and asked what happened to our King Room, and we were told "all the rooms are the same and there was never a guqrantee of larger bed", I got my wife out of the car and she went to the desk and told them exactly who she had talked to and that the lady on the phone specifically told her we would have king size bed. The desk clerk told us she would try and to check back in a few hours. We did and were given another room, despite the fact that they told us all the rooms were the same this one was much bigger and nicer and did have king size room. We regretted this room later when we found out the courtyard was used both nights for very loud teenage wedding parties, and several kids stayed in the room next to ours screaming and wrestling all night, literally until 7 in the morning, both nights. We ended up checking out and going to one of our favorite hotels that cost a little more. Oh, we had checked for the menu of the resturant in the hotel and went to eat there only to find that even though the signs were still up and advertisements put in rooms the resturant had closed for Katrina and never reopened. They hadn't even bothered to take the menus or ads out of the rooms after 2+ years! It is still advertise the resturant on their web site this very minute.

Good location relevant to Bourbon St and rest of Quarter

• Related to: Food and Dining, Luxury Travel
  • Written April 12, 2008

• acemj profile photo acemj
  • Reviews: 4857

Hotel central: Plenty of options

On the upriver side of the Quarter, you'll see a bunch of hotel options. All the major hotels are here including the Sheraton, Marriot, Hilton, Hyatt and Wyndham.

• Written November 20, 2002

• OnTheRoadGoombah profile photo OnTheRoadGoombah
  • Reviews: 63

Queen and Crescent Hotel: Nice Little Hotel

I stayed at the Queen and Crescent for a week while in town for a conference. The rooms were clean, the beds comfortable, and the hotel was quiet and safe. The hotel is located just outside the French Quarter and a five minute walk to Harrah's. It was very affordable and safe. The staff was very attentive andI would definitely stay here again.

Only issued encountered, my room was cold and my colleagues room was warm. The thermostat didn't regulate very well.

• Written November 5, 2010

• excitableone profile photo excitableone
  • Reviews: 113

where ever you end up: anywhere

we stayed 10 minutes away from the action in METARIE. the hotel we stayed at had a bus that took you to bourbon st, and picked you up again(if you were sober enough to find the pickup spot). if you book far enough ahead stay on bourbon st..

• Written September 4, 2002