Wingate Inn - Bwi Airport

grandmaR's Profile Photo

Southwest Crew Hotel

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 7, 2015

Biggest problem was finding the place which was behind another hotel

I booked this hotel because I wanted to stay someplace where I could park near the airport for free. Previously I stayed at the Hampton Inn, but they started to charge for parking. On arrival, I thought I could get to the hotel by going around Aviation Boulevard as usual. Not. Also I did not know that the hotel was behind the Hilton Garden Inn - we saw that but did not see the Wyndham. So we went around in circles before I finally got out my phone and saw where it was.

Check in worked OK. But they had trouble coding the keys, and Bob's got demagnetized. The room was 56 deg F - freezing. It was August, but it doesn't need to be that cold. Bob turned on the heat. The lights sputtered, and when I logged on to the wi-fi the computer said it was a bad network
There was no list of TV stations or restaurants.

Bob refused to ask for a wake-up call (which to be fair sometimes does not come) and insisted on trying to set the clock radio for 4 am instead of getting the wind-up alarm clock out of the suitcase. The clock-radio often doesn't work either as either the wrong 12 hours is selected or something else goes wrong. I was nervous about it and woke up and looked the clock at 1:30 and again at 3:30. I turned over at 4:15

And that waked up Bob - the clock radio alarm didn't go off. We got out to the lobby at the required 10 minutes before the 5 am shuttle. I snatched a mini-blueberry muffin from the buffet and we all (the van was completely full - all seats taken and two people standing) piled into the van. The majority of them were Southwest pilots and one was a flight attendant.

Up to that point, things were more or less satisfactory. However when we arrived back at the airport, we called and asked for a pickup and they told us to go to the arrivals area. But since we were an international flight, the airport in that area is under construction and we couldn't easily get to the arrivals area. It took them an hour to come and pick us up. That is MUCH less than satisfactory. The hotel is only five minutes from the airport and there is a van every half hour. So the wait time should have been a max of half an hour.

Unique Quality: The shuttle to the airport runs every half hour.

Breakfast starts at 7 but there is continental breakfast at 4 am.

The room had a microwave and small fridge.

We could walk to Bob Evans for dinner as it is in the same area as this hotel and the Hilton Garden Inn

Directions: behind the Hilton Garden Inn

• Shuttle Service
  • Free High Speed Internet
  • Suites

Linthicum Heights Travel Forum

Need advice about Linthicum Heights, Maryland? Visit the Travel Forum for Linthicum Heights and ask our Answer Gurus.

Explore Deeper into Linthicum Heights