#503 of 751 hotels in New York City

twilightmuse's Profile Photo

decent but far

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 11, 2010

I stayed at this hostel for three nights of a 4 night trip with my husband. It was our first experience at a hostel and it was fairly decent. Where to start: First off the staff was appathetic at best. If you are travelling as a couple I recommend trying to secure a private room. Had we a private room we would have been happier then sleeping in bunks. At least here the bunks are co-ed as at some hostels they are not. The rooms with the bunks are decent- each room has an air conditioner, and small lockers and each floor had several full bathrooms with showers and tubs. The only thing was the showers in one of the bathrooms would soak the entire floor so it would get pretty sloppy in there at times. The basement has a common room that is non-air conditioned to maybe keep people from hanging out there, but there are a couple of televisions, a kitchen area, a pool table, two internet connections and a common sitting room. No laundry and no one seemed to know where the closest laundry mat was.
As for location- it is pretty far away from everything and on the edge of Harlem ( however you may feel about this). We assumed that since it was near central park that is was well central but we were at 103 street and Times Square is at 42 ave.- that gives you an idea of how many blocks away were were from the action. Everything in NYC is lower in number. The higher the number the farther away you are getting from Times Square. Each morning we would have to get on the subway and make our way down to 42nd Ave. then make our way back again to get ready for dinner or going out- it was time consumming.

Unique Quality: The gem of this place was the convenience store located across the street on the right hand corner. It had a deli in it as well as selling beer, and food. For $3.25 you could get the best fried egg, bacon and cheese sandwhich then take it to Central park to eat.

svet01's Profile Photo

A hostel

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 25, 2009

The hostel is conviently located close to the subway station - just 1 min walk) The cleanliness, facilities are okay. The only thing that quite disappointed me - the lack of an elevator. The building has 4 or 5 or some more floors and the stairs are kind of high so carrying a heavy suitcase upstairs wasn't really that fun:) as well as bringing it down.

sunchasers's Profile Photo

Do Not Stay Here!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 14, 2007

Hoping to find a decent, affordable hotel room in New York we took a chance and booked one of the 'studio apartments' at Central Park Hostel. We arrived in New York at 1:00 am and via a Super Shuttle hell excursion (seeing all the ins and outs of Harlem at 3:00 am) we finally arrived at the hostel. We had hoped after about an 8 hour flight that we would be able to simply crash in our room. But no....we couldn't possibly have been that lucky. No...first we had to get a major dose of New York attitude from the hostel clerk, who claimed we didn't have a room and it wasn't his problem. After arguing with him for 20 minutes, throwing the e-mail reservation/confirmation of agreed upon arrival in his face and forcing him to call his boss in the middle of the night to sort the matter out, we finally got a room. During all of this, we noticed that nearly all of the tenants of this 'hostel' were locals, namely drug addicts. On their website it specifically states that you need a foreign passport and student ID to check in...but this obviously wasn't the case. This hostel is not safe, not friendly and by no means a bargain. Even though the rates are around 100-120 for a private studio room, we learned the valuable lesson that sometimes it's just better to pay more money. We will never stay at this hostel again!

Directions: Upper West Side

inconnu's Profile Photo

CLEAN and CHEAP HOSTEL NEAR CENTRAL PARK

by written on November 12, 2004

HELLO !
if you want something clean, safe and cheap, it is the solution !
This is a good place near Central Park, with a kitchen if you want to cook. it was safe and close to the subway (103rd street). You can walk to Central Park or the subway in less than 5 minutes !
=====

19 West 103rd Street
near Central Park West, New York, NY 10025.

email: info@centralparkhostel.com

tel: +001 (212)-678-0491 fax: (212) 678-0453

Rates: From 25$ (4 beds) to 150$ (private)

Unique Quality: The area is great !
You will find lot of restaurants, cafes, clubs in Upper West area. it is close to Columbia University (student area with good restaurants), close to Central Park, close to Harlem (125th street with African restaurants), etc...

DIRECTION
One block from Central Park West on 103rd Street, is the Central Park Hostel. Down the street from the B&C trains, CPH is a convenient train ride away from Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Port Authority (bus station), Penn Station (train station), Chelsea, Greenwich Village, SoHo, and more.

BUS STATION
From Port Authority (Bus Station) or Penn Station Amtrak):
Take the B or C train as described above.

SUPERSHUTTLE
SuperShuttle will take you directly to the hostel from the airports and back. The Olympia airport shuttle costs $11.00 and goes between all aiports and the Port Authority, Penn Station and Grand Central every 20 minutes. From JFK Airport, you can take the A train to 59th street and transfer for the B or C to 103rd Street.

TRAIN
From Grand Central
Take the S train and change to the C uptown to 103rd Street.

Directions: By Subway:
Take the B or C train to 103rd street then walk up the hill to the corner.

tel: (212)-678-0491 fax: (212) 678-0453

Maeniel's Profile Photo

Hostel in the Middle

by written on October 7, 2002

First impression, oh my God, I'm staying in Harlem. Stayed there a few times and that gets replaced with just how functional and practical this place is. On the fringe of El Burrio, you get a taste of how bad it could be, but without actually experiencing it. On my first night there, even though I was a bit apprehensive, the 'feeling' you get of residential NY is priceless. Watching people out of your window talking, playing dominoes on the street.
All of the guests there are great. I spent a number of nights there by myself, and i was constantly hooking up with people from all walks of life from all over the World. Swapping travel tales, tips and advice. Everybody is in the same boat and really friendly to one another. I found some of the best places to visit in the city by just speaking to others who were staying here. Everyone has a different suggestion and everyone will find something they like.
Everything you will need is within one block.
Grocery store. Metro station. Bus route. High Street shops.
The only trouble I had was in finding a laundry. Apparently there was one four blocks away, but it eluded me!
$25/ night dorm room sleeps eight.
The only negative occurance I know of was one of the rooms was reported to have cockroaches. I never had a problem. The staff said they would sort it. I never heard of that problem again in all of my time there.
You will feel safe and the rooms all have air conditioning - bonus! But remember, the safety ends at the door! Nothing happened to me or anybody else I know there, but this is still Harlem, and do not forget that.

Unique Quality: This place and everything in it is open 24 / 7
Security door and people there 24hrs.
A free place to stow away all of your luggage. This room is locked and supervised. Available on your last day as well, after check out, so you can have up to a full days travel without excess baggage.
Internet Access - bit pricey, but still, 24 hrs.
Phones - 4 in house and additional 2 right on door step.

Directions: Fringe of Harlem, less than a block away from Central Park. Get on the B or C metro line to 103rd. Look up the slight hill - Awning at the top, less than a block away.

Hostel in the Middle

by written on October 6, 2002

Everything you will need is within one block.
Grocery store. Metro station. Bus route. High Street shops.

$25/ night dorm room sleeps eight.

Unique Quality: This place and everything in it is open 24 / 7

Security door and people there 24hrs.

Internet Access - bit pricey, but still, 24 hrs.

Phones - 4 in house and additional 2 right on door step.

Nearby Central Park Hostel

• Central Park Hotel New York City

Address: 19 West 103rd Street, Near Central Park West, New York City, New York, 10025, United States

New York City Travel Forum

Need advice about New York City, New York State? Visit the Travel Forum for New York City and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest New York City hotel reviews

Murray Hill East Suites (149 East 39TH Street.)
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews