Hotel 31

Booking.com Orbitz.com

Tags

Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Family Travel Budget Travel
See Amenities

Great location and poor service

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 27, 2013

First of all, hotel manager provided me with the room located at the second floor with windows directed to the street, while at least two other rooms with different location were free. This manager was aware that road works had been scheduled at the same night, and he was definitely aware that my room #201, was the closest to the noise. I mean, road works were side by side with my windows, so I have been listening the pick hammers and asphalt-placing machine the half night as I was standing right in front of them. Both hotel managers (the guy who worked until midnight and the next one after him) declined my requests to give me another room saying that although two more rooms were indeed empty, they were reserved, and cleaning service was not available after the business hours. So what was the sense to give me the worst room during my check-in, while other rooms were still available at that time? Next day I had a terrible headache and I've got a cold, because hotel did not started heating and outside night's temperature was about 40 (+4-7 Celsius). The reason why my room was so noisy and so cold - the window near my bed had a removable air conditioner and no curtains at all. So every sound from the street as well as cold air freely getting in. I tried to remove it, and asked hotel manager to remove it - no way. "Free Wi-Fi" in the hotel was also as great as overall service, and died every 30 sec, so I used Cosy's free Wi-Fi to check my e-mails instead.

robertlarsonjr's Profile Photo

Great location nice rooms

by written on December 4, 2010

Hotel 31 is about 8 story hotel on 31st and Lexington in NYC. The staff was professional and friendly and the rooms were very clean. The staff recommended places, to eat, shop and even park our auto. The rooms had a flat screen television, desk, bed and coffee maker with coffee cream and sugar. In addition the hotel has wifi.

Unique Quality: The hotel is was built in the either 1930's or40's. It has an antiquity about it including an old style elevator with opening gates, a fire escape, and lighting reflecting a culture before I was born. It is in a great location. It is a few blocks from Park Avenue, Madison Square Garden, Herald Square and the Empire State Building. It is located in a community of homes so that travelers get the feel of the local culture.

Directions: Near Lexington and Park Ave.

jenbolls123's Profile Photo

Good Hotel

by written on July 18, 2008

It features all the amenities that you would expect from a first class hotel, including private air conditioned rooms, a concierge 24 hours a day, daily maid service, cable TV, telephone and helpful multilingual staff.

Hotel 31 is an affordable European style hotel, our central Manhattan location is near many major tourist attractions, we are within easy walking distance of the Empire State Building, Macy's district, Time Square, Madison Square Garden and the Broadway Theatre District.

Directions: The newly renovated Hotel 31 is conveniently located in the heart of New York City on 31 Street between Lexington Ave and Park Ave.

boltonian's Profile Photo

Cheap Option 1

by written on January 12, 2008

Hotel 31 and the sister hotel (Hotel 17) are named after the streets they are found on.

The 2 places are very similar.

Hotel 31 is in a good location, 2 minutes walk from the Subway.

Most rooms have shared bathroom.

Not a problem as there are plenty of bathrooms, they are very clean, and seemed to be forever vacant.

The downside..... some of the rooms are tiny.

We booked a twin. We arrived to find a room with a double bed theat filled the room. We were still laughing when the porter wheeled in our 'twin' bed. A campbed that simply did not fit into the room.

We stayed one night and complained.

They said the place was full, however they moved us to Hotel 17, to a bigger room and even paid for the taxi to transfer us.

For a budget option, these hotels are top notch.

Anja1216's Profile Photo

Great European Boutique Hotel!

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 29, 2006

After staying in flea-bag Midtown Hotels that are supposed to be clean American lodgings (Like Howard Johnson's Penn Station and the Ramada near Port Authority) Hotel 31 is really refreshing. Many Americans won't stay there because the rooms don't have private baths, but the hall lavs and showers are impeccably clean, and the single room was 85.00 per night. Hotel 31 has a wonderful location, on 31st between Madison and Lex and an easy walk to Times Square without the huge crowds or expense. Its sister lodgings, Hotel 17 and Hotel 41, have the same atmosphere--Hotel 17 is by Union Square with great walking access to Chelsea, the Village and Downtown. Anyway, I recommend getting over your squeamishness about sharing a bathroom and consider Hotel 31 for your New York stay.

Unique Quality: It's located on a quiet block of E 31st st away from the noise of Times Square crowds. Old-fashioned European ambience as opposed to sterile, pre-fab American Hotels

b4ugogo's Profile Photo

$89 a night incl tax.

by written on February 15, 2006

This is hotel was clean but had very small rooms, most of which shared a bathroom which was to be fair clean.
The staff were friendly and helpful, could probably do with redecorating inside and during my stay some of the TV channels were fuzzy but then who goes to New York to watch TV.
you can get rooms that look onto the Empire State building.

Unique Quality: not to expensive for the location and you can get rooms that have a view of the Empire State building.

Directions: near the Empire State Building, on East 31st Street between Park & Lexington Avenues, half way down

Nearest Subway - 33rd st - Green Line

Hopkid's Profile Photo

Inexpensive and quiet location in the 30s

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 9, 2006

Hotel 31 is location on a quiet block between Lexington and Park Avenues. There are other residential homes on this tree-lined block and staying here makes you feel like a New Yorker as you leave from and return to the hotel. We last stayed at Hotel 31 in 2001 or 2002 and it was a very pleasant experience. We had a double with shared bath (a limited number of rooms with private bath are also available) The room decor was a bit dark and dated but not shabby. There was a sink in our room which provided a level of convenience that I had not expected. I was pleasantly surprised that the shared bathrooms on our floor (there were two, both with toilet, sink and shower) were kept spotless. Convenient to subway (4, 5, 6) on 33rd and Park and buses.

A recent check of rates shows that Hotel 31 is still a budget property in pricey Manhattan.

Unique Quality: Location on a quiet residential street, clean, good location

Directions: On 31st St between Park and Lexington Avenues

llauraa's Profile Photo

Pretty Good for a Budget Hotel and great location

by written on December 14, 2004

This place was very clean even if it was old. So old it had one of those old slide-it-yourself elevator doors and took 15 min just to get to the 4th fl and can only fit about 4 people - thin ones at that. However the stairs are right next to and although narrow are quicker alternative. A friend and I hired a 2 bed room with private bath and it was fine. Cost $135. Seems a private bath is the ultimate luxury with NYC hotels and they are prepared to slug you for it. Between 2 this was very affordable and such a great location! Some hotels you can't swing a cat but there was room to move in this room! The bathroom was clean and modern...a little out of place for such an old building. But the carpet was clean, the room was clean and it didnt smell. Also amazingly it was very quiet! Would highly recommend for people who are there to see the city and have fun. I wouldnt recommend it for a romantic getaway. The TV was old but it worked. You could get a shared bathroom for much less abt $80...and from what we saw they were very clean and well maintained and hardly used. So wouldnt be a bad alternative for the budget conscious. Staff were very pleasant and helpful also. Although there was no baggage service or assistance.

Unique Quality: No views, only of the back of other buildings - but who cares when you just want to sleep after being out all night seeing the city.

Directions: This is just off Park Avenue South and walking distance to everything, including Times Square, Broadway. About 4 blocks east from Penn Station from what I recall

New York Best budget hotel

by written on December 9, 2004

I stayed at this Hotel for 5 nights in Dec 04. I was impressed with receptionist, he was very helpful and made us feel very welcome. We were staying on the 7th floor (8 storey building). the room was small but had everything you needed. Sink,Cable TV, cabinates, and a bed of course lol. Heating came on in the evening so the room was never cold. We had a room with shared bathroom, this was never a problem, as there were 2 bathrooms on each level and we were right next to bathroom so very convenient. I Reception even phoned a limo for u to be picked up at 4.30am. i cannot fault this hotel at all.

Unique Quality: I found that the hotel was place in a good position in NYC its not to close to the busy areas but close enough to walk there. Empire State Building was about 2 blocks away, Grand Central Station was about 10 mins walk and Times Sq is about 20-25 mins walk.

Directions: Manhatten

New York Best budget hotel

by written on December 9, 2004

Directions: Manhatten

Jozzzef's Profile Photo

cheap, clean, friendly hotel,will stay there again

by written on March 4, 2004

A really nice hotel with a friendly staff at the 24 hour desk. The rooms are very small but tidy. Bathrooms are shared but clean. I hagled over the price and got a discount. When I go back to NY I will definitly stay there again! Good Tip: you can ask at the desk for a room with a view on the Empire State Building if you come in early enough.

Unique Quality: I never visited a more affordable, tidy and friendly hotel anywhere else I have been. A golden tip for the budget traveller!

nice cheap hotel at 31@lexington

by written on February 3, 2004

i usually stay here when i come to NYC for work or to visit my cousin
it's cheap
central and within walking distance to everything in Manhattan

oh well I walk a lot, if u r a lazyass u can go by subway 1 block from here hahha

Unique Quality: well the owners know me now since i go to NYC 10 times a year or something
but they are very very kind and helpful

Directions: MurraY Hill

Amenities at Hotel 31

• Room Service
  • Free High Speed Internet

New York City Travel Forum

Need advice about New York City, New York State? Visit the Travel Forum for New York City and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest New York City hotel reviews

Conrad New York
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews
Martha Washington Hotel Formerly Thirty Thirty Hotel New York
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 16 Reviews
Murray Hill East Suites (149 East 39TH Street.)
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews