Riff Chelsea

romanhighlander's Profile Photo

Suits all!!!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 16, 2007

Initially I booked a single room in May 2001 ($95 at the time) but soon realised that the hotel also had a dormitory next doors. I thought I will check thisout as the idea appealed to me not just because of the $35 tag but the company. They had 2 large rooms in one they had 4 bunks and the other had 6 or more. As it was day time, the place was empty, but a quick check on belongings on the bed convinced me to opt for an empty bed on the smallr room. Later on in the night, I found out that my instinct was right.....The room had 6 females and 2 males. One being me and another was a Korean. The girls were mostly from other parts of US but the one sleeping on top of me (bed) was a beauty and she was hispanic. Needless to add, that if I ever go to NYC again, I have to check out Chelsea star which I think is on 30 Street and vy close to Penn Station that has subway as well as trains running to longer routes. Plus, Madison Square Gardens in a minute away and times square, about 15 minute walk.

Unique Quality: For me the Dorm system does it. Save the cash and spend it on Musicals on Broadway. You will thank me one day!!!

Directions: very easy...2 minute walk from Penn station. Very close to Madison Square Gardens.

romanhighlander's Profile Photo

Suits all!!!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 16, 2007

sugarpuff's Profile Photo

The brightest, cleanest hideaway in NYC!

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 6, 2006

If you manage to get a bed here in the dorms...you're going to be on cloud nine!!!! I didnt actually stay the night here...long story, but I DID go inside and found it to be the best looking hotel/hostel I had seen on my whole six weeks of travelling. It was so clean and modern looking and quiet with a beautiful garden with tables and chairs...really perfect to get away from the hustle and bustle of NY life!

Well we didnt stay the night there because we only had 14 hours in the city and we thought we would save on some money by putting our bags in a locker somewhere and then just staying up all night walking around and going to bars/cafes... I had a friend who had stayed here and said it was really cool but that you needed to book as it gets full quickly. I didnt book online because we would have lost our money if we had decided to cancel and we just hoped that when we got there there would be beds if we hadnt found anywhere else to leave our bags! As it turns out we DIDNT find anywhere else to leave the bags and after two hours of walking around the city and jumping on and off subways with extremely heavy suitcases, we headed for the Chelsea Star Hotel as a last resort.

To our dismay there was a sign on the door saying 'no vacancies'. I wanted to cry! But after a while I pressed the doorbell and was let up. I explained the situation to the girl behind the desk and she said they didnt have any lockers for bags. I asked if there was at least one bed available then and she said YES!

Unique Quality: So I went back down to get Charles and all our luggge and then head up the steep steps again. When she saw the two of us she was a little confused as to why we only wanted one bed, so we explained it was only to put our bags on as we weren't intending on staying the night. And to my surprise, because everything had gone bad for us that day so far, she said "oh its ok, you can just leave it all here in the luggage area and I wont charge you!" We couldn't believe it..she was the sweetest girl in the world!!! I could have hugged her except I was all hot and sticky! The weather had changed since we had been there the first time and it was now +5 degrees instead of -5..so we were pretty yucky!

She also told us that in the evening there was a guy on charge, a Chinese guy who was very bad tempered so just to be careful with him when we come to pick up our bags at 4am the next morning! It turns out that she was right and he was a bit cranky and he didnt really understand our story but we didn't want to give the game away...! We checked our emails, took some photos of the place and off we set to JFK airport!

All i can say is GO onto their website and they will have everything you need to know about the place...www.chelseastar.com HAVE FUN!!!!

Directions: 300 West 30th Street at 8th Avenue New York, NY 10001. Within walking distance from Penn Station.

Twinkle Twinkle Chelsea Star

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 30, 2004

I opted for a superior room, which basically means it has its own bathroom facilities. The room is pretty small although pleasant, but if you require privacy you are not going to get it. The walls are paper thin and the interconnecting door can mean your neighbours can easily be heard and they can hear you. If you palnning a amerous stay with a noisey partner, you may like to keep that in mind, unless of course you don't mind being heard whilst in throws of passion. Another aspect that may bother people, the road noise from the busy 8th Avenue can be quite load and last most of the day.

The room lacks any tea/coffee making facilities, ironing board or a hair dryer. I appreciate its a budget option, but I've found the rooms in the Pennsyvania Hotel (1 block away) better equiped and much cheaper per night, although the rooms there are very dowdy.

The staff have been excellent and its well located for getting out and about.
My personal feeling, if I was to stay here again, would be to sacrifice relative luxury and go for a budget room with shared bathroom. From what I've seen the other rooms are pretty funky and well priced.

Unique Quality: Uniquely decorated, pretty funky layout.
Well located for Penn station and lots of places to grab a beer or eat.

About a 10 block walk will put you in the times square area, and I suspect a spirited walk south would easily have you in the villiage within 20/30 mins.

Directions: 1 Block South of Penn station, opposite the Molly Wee Irish bar, next door to the Chelsea Florist shop. Look for a brushed metal door.

weewatty's Profile Photo

In the Heart of the Action.

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 19, 2004

If you are looking for a budget hotel then you could do much much worse than staying here.

We managed to get a room that slept the four of us, although 2 guys did have to share a huge bed. The place also has a dorm which is quite a bargain I beleive. We paid about 20 pound sterling(approx 30 US Dollars) per night during our stay in a deluxe room.

Nice big bathroom, great shower. We could look out our window and see Maddison Square Garden, the hotel is right on the Nothern fringe of the Chelsea area. The area between the hotel upto the Port Authority did tend to have a few Jakies/beggars hanging about but we did'nt have any kinda probs.

Unique Quality: Has a deck area outside in a courtyard which was pretty cool. Internet point was handy

Staff at reception were really helpful and happy to use their more than adequate local knowledge to give you advice, directions etc.

Oh and nowt to do with the hotel but the 24 hour deli just across the road served a mean Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich and an Irish Pub called the Molly Wee(see nightlife tips) was just right opposite, very handy indeedy.

Directions: Take the Subway to Pennsylvania Station, walk about 3 minutes down 8th ave(past Maddison Square Garden) and the Chelsea Star is on the corner with 30th Street.

storyin's Profile Photo

Storyin New York City

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 14, 2004

Dorm $22~$29 ( no , + TAX = 35~36USD )
Rudolph Valentino $59+ ( single room + TAX = 69~70 USD )

very cool interior , very comfortable sheet . but the commen area is small , and share room is too crowded , room mate can not control herself , their clothes and shoes make me do not know where to step on .
key card .

walk 3-4 blocks to supermarket , do not buy drink from little store 1-2 blocks from hotel , walk 2 more blocks can safe much money ,

Best value in NYC

by written on August 25, 2002

The Chelsea Star Ho(s)tel is located in north Chelsea, close to Madison Square Garden and The Village (Greenwich). The hotel has theme rooms and you can book online. We were supposed to be in a theme room, but since we were with three persons, they rented us one of their apartments around the corner. They were $110, but they were very nice (TV, king sized bed, kitchen, own bathroom with shower) and for a NYC hotel this is extremely cheap. The staff was friendly and you can make reservations online here.

Nearby Riff Chelsea

Riff Chelsea

• Hotel Chelsea Star
  • Chelsea Star New York City

Address: 300 W 30th St at 8th Ave, New York City, New York, 10001, United States

4 Photos of Riff Chelsea

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Riff Chelsea

• Pets Allowed

New York City Travel Forum

Need advice about New York City, New York State? Visit the Travel Forum for New York City and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest New York City hotel reviews