The Gregory

See Amenities
leics's Profile Photo

Very central, very convenient

by written on August 4, 2011

NB: This hotel is now called 'Hotel 35'. I wrote this note in January 2015 and the change of name and, I assume, ownership took place after I visited in July 2014. Reviews for the hotel on booking sites such as www.booking.com remain as good as they were previously.

I've stayed in this hotel twice now, once in 2011 and again in 2014.

It's just 30 seconds' walk from Herald Square (useful for buses and subway), less that 5 minutes' walk from Penn Station and has, I think, 9 floors. My 2011 room was on the 6th floor, at the side, with very little natural light because of the surrounding tall buildings. I understand some rooms have a view of the Empire State Building (rooms on the upper floors at the back). My 2014 room was at the front, with a view of the street (W 35th Street doesn't see a huge amount of traffic outside working hours, which is good).

Both my rooms and bathrooms have been very clean, with comfortable beds and decent toiletries. The decor in my 2011 room was quite old-fashioned but my 2014 had, I assume, been 'upgraded'. 2011 had a walk-in closet for clothes (very pleasant), both rooms had iron and ironing board, an in-room safe (very useful) and..obviously...a television. And both bathrooms had a bath as well as shower.

The air con (most important, as temperatures were over 100 when I first visited) in both rooms was very efficient indeed but also very noisy ('white noise'). As I always use earplugs this didn't bother me, but it might trouble some people.

Free wifi in the rooms worked well, and there's also a lobby computer for guest use (limited to 15 minutes). There's a free coffee machine in the lobby.

The two lifts are fairly swift but quite small, so getting down to breakfast could take a while. Rather than wait I often used the stairs to go down.

Breakfast, basic but satisfactory, is served in the downstairs restaurant/bar. Cereals, doughnuts (very nice indeed), bread and bagels to toast, preserves, cream cheese and hard-boiled eggs. The orange juice and coffee were both good and on my second visit I was hugely pleased to find that proper china mugs were now provided along with proper metal cutlery. Clearly the hotel has listened to its guests' comments. Although you still have to use paper plates, the cardboard cups for coffee made the coffee taste foul and plastic knives were completely useless for cutting bagels and spreading chilled butter.

Staff are efficient and courteous, although not particularly friendly. In 2011 they sorted out my minor plumbing problem (blocked toilet) and replaced a lightbulb within a few hours, with no fuss.

The downstairs bar is comfortable and offers a good range of decently-priced meals, snacks and draught beers.

This is a good basic hotel for exploring NYC. It's not somewhere to spend large amounts of time, but certainly perfectly ok as a place to sleep. I'll almost certainly stay there again in future.

Directions: Subway to 34th Street, hotel is a couple of minutes walk (maybe less depending on which subway exit you use).

RWFAN's Profile Photo

Best roof-top hangout!

by written on February 24, 2008

I've stayed here a couple of different times and I am never disappointed! The staff are great, and super friendly by New York standards. Time's Square is about a 15 minute walk away, and you are basically right around the corner from the Empire State Building. The rooms are typical hotel style that could use a bit of updating, but are good enough for the amount of time you want to spend in your room anyways! The elevator makes me a bit nervous, but that's more of a personal thing anyway. The staircase may be narrow, but it's full of character and my preferred method of getting to my room.

Unique Quality: My favorite thing about this hotel, is the view from the roof-top. I'm not sure that you are really SUPPOSED to go up on the roof, but it's not hard to do and the cleaning staff on the upper level have never questioned my presense there. If you look up, your view is full of the Empire State building. Otherwise it's not as picturesque as you may be thinking, but it gives you a bit of an experience that most people won't get.

Directions: Sits between 5th and 6th is I remember correctly without pulling up a map. Going out the door to the left, and taking the first right will take you right into Times Square after about 10 minutes.

Chris_Louise's Profile Photo

Spend more and get better. Trust us!!!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 7, 2005

No No No No No!!!!

We chose to stay here due to the cost as the pictures we saw looked okay. It is rated a 3 star. If an average hotel is a 3 star then this place was a -10. We arrived at 11pm and within 2 minutes had decided that we simply couldnt sleep there. Dirty stained broken rooms. Thats the best way to describe it. We phoned around, got a refund and moved onto a dearer but 20 times better place. We were so disappointed with that experience. Our first and only disappointment in NYC.

Add to your Trip Planner

If location is your thing...............

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 25, 2005

This is a very tired hotel. It needs an injection quickly - of money. The staff do the best they can with what they have to work with. The lifts/elevators are appalling and it was pot-luck whether either of them were working. They only carried 5 people and if they were all adults the lifts refused to move! The breakfast was good considering it was included. Once in your room they were clean and surprisingly quiet although always ask for a room at the back. The shower had plenty of hot water, the trick was getting it to give it to you all the time, be prepared to be burnt/frozen.

Unique Quality: The location is the outstanding feature of this hotel, one block from Macy's, the ESB and a metro station at the end of the street with Times Square being one station away. For what we paid it is good value by New York standards. Would we stay again.....possibly, it would depend on our budget.

Directions: The hotel sign says Comfort Inn Murray Hill

violette_ca's Profile Photo

Good hotel

by written on March 3, 2005

We went to New-York in october 2004. We stayed at Comfort Inn Manhatan and we recommand this hotel. It's a street corner away from the Enpire State Building , Macy's, 5th St. and not far from Times Squares.

It's a bit expensive but you have everything you want by foot.

Directions: Metro 35th St.

Paul2001's Profile Photo

Very Good Midpriced Hotel in Central Manhattan

by written on April 4, 2004

I was quite pleased with this hotel. It had all that I asked for at a reasonable price and that is location. The Comfort Inn Manhattan is located steps away from Macy's, Madison Square Garden and the Empire State Building. Many of New York's other leading attractions are within walking distance as is Penn Station if you are leaving by train.
My one criticism with the hotel was that the rooms are a bit small. Still they are clean and some might think of them as cozy.

Unique Quality: There are lots of restaurants in the neighborhood and three within the hotel itself.

Directions: Near 5th Avenue in Midtown Manhattan.

Round the corner from Macys

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 7, 2003

The location is the best thing about this hotel - its near Macys and the Empire State Building and the subway at Herald Square is also very close. The rooms are not huge but clean and well equipped. Breakfast is included - the toaster is the slowest thing I have ever seen in my life.

GrantBoone's Profile Photo

A GREAT BASE FROM WHICH TO EXPLORE.

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 12, 2003

Centrally located , a couple of blocks from the Empire State building and only five minutes walk from Macy's store. Very comfortable rooms with everything you would need. Highly recommended!!

Unique Quality: The main attraction is its location.

Directions: Close to Macy's.

Nearby The Gregory

The Gregory

• Comfort Inn New York City
  • New York City Comfort Inn
  • Manhattan Comfort Inn
  • Comfort Inn Manhattan Hotel New York City

Address: 42 West 35th Street, New York City, New York, 10001-2201, United States

23 Photos of The Gregory

• Pets Allowed
  • Free High Speed Internet
  • Bar / Lounge

New York City Travel Forum

Need advice about New York City, New York State? Visit the Travel Forum for New York City and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest New York City hotel reviews

Murray Hill East Suites (149 East 39TH Street.)
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews