VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Hampton Inn & Suites Austin-Downtown, TX

Fantastic Downtown Hotel

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 10, 2009

*Update*
I recently stayed by myself in the King SUITE. It really isn't worth the extra $20. The regular rooms are just as nice. The suite just has a couch and I didn't even use it, other than to put my suitcase. I also booked this room on the actual Hampton Inn website and the prices were the same as Expedia. But you might as well price compare just to be safe. :)

The Hampton Inn and Suites has won over my heart. My latest trip blew me and my aunt out of the water when we stayed here overnight. The hardest part of staying here is finding it. Downtowns are so confusing with all of their one-way streets. However, once you get here you'll love it.

They offer parking here but it's only valet and that costs $20 a day. I didn't mind paying because it's almost that much in fees and taxes. However, you can take your car out at any time and return it as much as possible.

Why is Hampton Inn the place to stay downtown? The service, the room, breakfast and location.

The location is phenomenal. It's three blocks from the Congress Ave bridge where the bats fly their nightly path to find food, a spectacle you shouldn't miss. It's also four blocks from 6th Street where you can party all night long to some of the best live music in the nation. It's also about two blocks from one of the most famous BBQ places in the city, Iron Works.

The service was excellent. Everyone was kind, welcoming, and helpful. The valet men were so nice, all of them. The concierge was just as so.

The breakfast was out of this world. They had every type of food you could eat for breakfast. Cereal, waffles, bacon, sausage, fruit, danishes, etc, etc. All sorts of juice and coffee. And a beautiful area to eat in, even offering a patio on those nice mornings.

And, last but not least, the important part...the room! When I walked in I was very impressed. The beds were huge and very comfy. There was a flat screen tv and lots of good channels. I spent most of my time using the free Internet connections looking up addresses and planning the events of my trip. It was quiet, comfy and peaceful. Everything I enjoy in a night in.

Unique Quality: ***Use the VT site or Expedia to find the best price! Through VT I found a price of $109 a night but on the actual Hampton Inn site the prices were $199!!!

Directions: Make sure you take the Caesar Chavez exit and go from there to the right!

klasher's Profile Photo

Another Downtown Hotel

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 28, 2006

Great location-just across from PF Changs and my favorite place to eat, Flemmings. The breakfast was powdered eggs, fruit, pastries, cereal and yogurt. This is included in the rate. There is a nice dining patio that overlooks San Jacinto Street. The rooms were standard, with very thin doors. We were awakened daily with obscenely loud door slamming.

Unique Quality: The pool is located on a 4th floor terrace. It is only a lap pool, but offers a nice respite from the indoors.

vancouverjen's Profile Photo

Downton Austin Great Hotel

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 21, 2006

Great location right downtown, close to Congress bridge (to view bats at sunset), and 6th Street for entertainment galore! Staff was fabulous - very accommodating. Room was great, breakfast was delicious - lots of choice. "Happy Hour" from Mon-Thurs, free beer, wine & snacks

jmcnally's Profile Photo

Reasonable Luxury

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 14, 2005

I stay here each year during the South by Southwest Interactive conference in March. I've always found the rates reasonable and the facilities first-rate. The hotel is about a block from the Convention Centre, which is convenient if you're attending an event there. The price per room starts around $120, I think, so my price range below is per person.

Directions: Convention Centre

ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Inexpensive Hotel Downtown

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 18, 2005

Great downtown location, one of the least expensive stays for a quality hotel within walking distance of 6th St and Town Lake. Also has free wireless internet for guests!

Enjoy!

• Business Services
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Free High Speed Internet

Austin Travel Forum

Need advice about Austin, Texas? Visit the Travel Forum for Austin and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Austin hotel reviews

La Quinta Inn Austin I-35 South Ben White
Driskill Hotel
Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 14 Reviews
Hampton Inn Austin - North (I-35 & Highway 183)
Crowne Plaza Austin