Hilton Milwaukee City Center

See Amenities
nataliefly's Profile Photo

Nice Stay

by written on October 5, 2014

This is a lovely 1920's styled hotel and we had a nice stay. Two things which prevented 5 stars. 1) We had a room next to the elevators which woke us up in the middle of the night. Both nights groups of people huddled around the elevators talking and laughing like they were in a bar. It must have been around 2am and felt like they were right in our room. It really was a terrible experience to have sleep interrupted twice. And 2) One morning we woke up to shower and there were no towels replenished by housekeeping. Housekeeping came and everything was neat and clean, but it was like they simply forgot about the towels! We've never had that happen anywhere. I must say though, a nice gentleman came quickly with full sets of towels after I called downstairs. The staff is courteous, the hotel close and convenient to Starbucks, nice restaurants surround the hotel so you don't have to leave the premises. But if you leave, everything is walking distance to downtown, the river and lake. If you have a car, there is an inexpensive parking lot right across the street from the hotel. My rental car was safe there both nights. We would stay again, but will request a room far far away from the elevators next time!!

WARNING!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 27, 2013

I have recently returned from a conference at the Delta Center and had stayed at the Hilton during my time in Milwaukee. I now have a rash all over my body that WILL NOT GO AWAY. I have gone to the doctors twice and am now on steroids because they are not sure what caused it, except for that it much of been caused by something I interacted with at the hotel. I started showing symptoms after one day of being there and had them change the sheets, but it has continued to worsen. I apparently picked up some sort of skin infection from the hotel and will never be staying at a Hilton again. It is not worth all this extra trouble.

ThisPartBlank's Profile Photo

Waterpark inside!

by written on June 24, 2008

If you're from The South like me, don't bother asking for honey mustard. I actually had a waitress in one of their restaurants say to me "Umm... no? But I can mix some honey & mustard for you..?" Uhhhh wow, thanks, but no thanks. Another thing -- good luck finding Coke products. Pepsi everywhere, UGH.
I was disappointed by the room. It was completely NOTHING special. I mean sure it was standard & clean. But I suppose I like rooms with a little more spunk. Outside of the room it was different. Very 1920's-ish I suppose... coulda been better if ya ask me.

The best & most awesome thing about this hotel is the "water park", if you wanna call it that. I walked in & was soo happy to be breathing some air from home! They have some sort of humidity thing in there. It's great. The cafe in the "water park" is a cute idea. Though it definitly isn't a water park from home. This one if small, but what do you expect for one if a hotel & in Wisconsin at that. Over all the water park was really cool.

Unique Quality: WATER PARK!

yooperprof's Profile Photo

Milwaukee's Version of Chicago's Palmer House

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 24, 2005

$43 a night through Priceline! No complaints from me!

The City Center Milwaukee Hilton is a convenient and agreeable place for a weekend break. I met some friends from Chicago here - we both found the same great rate, which is pretty unbeatable. The Hilton is an old-fashioned, 1920s pile, decorated in an Art Deco manner crossed with aspected of pseudo-French Baroque. If it seems reminiscent of the Palmer House Hilton in Chicago, there's a good reason for that: both buildings were designed by the Chicago architectural firm of Holabird and Roche, and both opened in the exuberant year 1927. Moreover, both Hiltons feature grandiose "Empire Ballrooms" that are virtually identical to one another.

It was mid-afternoon when I checked in, and the agreeable front desk clerk gave me a room on one of the upper floors that was usually large and well-furnished. My Chicago friends arrived rather late in the evening and were not so fortunate - they had a smaller room on one of the lower floors. Not that they complained - how can you for $43 a night?

gkitzmil's Profile Photo

Historic Hotel in Great Location

by written on July 5, 2004

Overall I loved the building and the location! I'd stay again! Yet the fact is that for two days in a row we had no housekeeping service (I had to phone to get clean towels), one Tuesday AM we awoke at 7 AM to pounding and construction sounds, and they had one of the worst Concierge I've ever experienced.

Unique Quality: Great lobby, nice room, right downtown, historic building, and great location all mean I'll try this again!

I would rate it even higher if we had not had those experiences.

This was the tallest hotel in Milwaukee built in an Art Deco style and named the Schroeder Hotel completed in 1928. It has undergone extensive renovation several times to provide nice accomodations in an historic setting. Among the historic hotels in Milwaukee this one presents a bargain .

Directions: Downtown -- on bus lines and near entertainment

tetonski1's Profile Photo

"Posh Milwaukee Accomadations"

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 22, 2004

Wonderful place to be treated like royalty. This hotel is located near everything! I would highly suggest staying here if it is within your budget!

Unique Quality: They have completed a recent multi-million dollar renovation to restore the hotel to its original 1920s stature with elegant chandeliers, rich woodwork accents, and marble floors.

It is absolutely beautiful!

Directions: From Chicago:
Take Interstate Hwy 94 North to Hwy 43 North. Take the 1st exit on Hwy 43 at the Civic Center Kilbourn exit. Turn right at 6th Street. Turn left at Michigan Street. Take 1st left (5th Street). The parking ramp entrance is on left hand side.

Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Once Wisconsin's Tallest

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 6, 2003

The Hilton Milwaukee City Center is one of those old 'grand dames' from another era. It was originally built in 1928 (by insurance and hotel magnate Walter Schroeder) as the Schroeder Hotel and, at 265 feet high, it was the tallest and biggest hotel in Wisconsin. Since then, it has changed hands a few times, most recently becoming part of the Hilton Hotel chain. The first five floors are faced with limestone and Art Deco carvings. Over the years, many renovations have been made to the interior to modernize it and I found the rooms to be very comfortable and well appointed. The hotel has 730 guest rooms and is conveniently located within easy walking distance of the downtown attractions and the Lakefront as well.

Unique Quality: The Paradise Landing indoor water park, boasting 20,000 sq. ft. of water excitement for children of all ages can be readily accessed from the hotel. I paid about US $170/night for my room. The hotel did somewhat restrict internet access - it was 10 cents/minute after connecting for 30 minutes.

Directions: Between Interstate I-43 and the downtown core.

Nearby Hilton Milwaukee City Center

• Pets Allowed
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Milwaukee Travel Forum

Need advice about Milwaukee, Wisconsin? Visit the Travel Forum for Milwaukee and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Milwaukee hotel reviews

Bad (2.0 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews
Inn Towne
Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Explore Deeper into Milwaukee
Lots of ignorance on this board.
Best Place in the Pabst Brewery
Milwaukee Public Market
Milwaukee Public Museum
Milwaukee City Hall
Milwaukee & West Allis
Warnings and Dangers
Milwaukee is safe, as long as you know how to act.
Warnings and Dangers
Big Churches - St. Josaphat's Basilica (1901)
Charles Allis Museum
Good breakfast on the North Side
Marquette campus classic
Premier gastropub in the Third Ward
Restaurants
Eastside diner with a tail behind it
Historic Teas, Breakfast & lunch place downtown
Restaurants
Ralph Lauren goes to a biker bar?
Inexpensive Chinese by the Airport
Pho Consciousness
Restaurants
Suburban outpost of popular brewpub
Localvore haven in Walker's Point
East Side Bistro with Italian Accent
Crazy Good in Walker's Point
Segregated City
Tapas style goodness
Summertime
Tried of the put down
Warnings and Dangers
Street Walkers!!! Gang Bangers!!!!
Cuban Food!
Great East Indian cuisine
Service fit for a king!
Excellent hard-to-describe bar opened in Sep. '03
Nightlife
Irishfest! And other fests...
Hogs
Historic Third Ward
Things to Do
"Ferry Across Lake Michigan To Muskegon, MI"
Things to Do
"See Your Favorite Bands Play Live At Summerfest!"
The Rep