Isla Isabela Hotels

Our Members Say

Las Gardenias

I had written to Las Gardenias, but I didn’t get an answer until the same day I arrived, and by than I had already said I would come to another hotel. The next day I changed to Las Gardenias tough.

Las Gardenias is a lovely place and the owners Emma and Pedro are very nice and helpful. Emma is originally from Isabela, and she is the 5th generation, descendant from Anthony Gil (one of the first settlers on the island). Pedro is originally from Guayaquil, where they met when Emma was a student.

I liked the room I got. It was a large room with one double bed and two single beds. There was a chair, a table, hangers and a bathroom with hot water (sometimes) in the shower. The only thing I missed was a reading light. For the room I paid $20 (July 2014).

Breakfast was good and it was $5. The first morning I asked for more water for the coffee, so the next day I got a whole can of water. Besides coffee there was bread, egg, fruit, juice, butter and jam served for breakfast.

In the courtyard it was quiet and it was a nice place to relax in, at one of the tables or in one of the hammocks. There is Wi-Fi in the courtyard, near the kitchen, when the router is on. There were not many people staying here the days I was there, but if I had wanted to stay one more night it would not have been possible, as it was fully booked by a tour group. I hope I can stay at Las Gardenias next time I go to Isla Isabela.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written May 5, 2015

Hostal Insular, Puerto Villamil

Before I went to Isla Isabela in 2014 I sent an email to Hostal La Jungla where I had stayed three years previous. Unfortunately it was fully booked. I had also emailed Las Gardenias, but had not got an answer (not until I was on my way). Hostal Insular answered and told me that they had rooms available for $25. I emailed back and told them I would arrive with the afternoon boat. Because of bad weather the boat was late, so when I finally arrived there were only two children in the reception and they didn’t know anything and couldn’t give me a room. I thought they called they mother, but after quite some time it turned out they hadn’t. In the end I called their mother, who was in a meeting. She told me which room I could have, but we couldn’t find the key for it and it turned out it was occupied. The children didn’t give me another room so I went out to eat. When I returned I met the children and their mother on the street. They had left me a note and key in the reception, and my bags were there too.

My room was clean and there were plenty of shelves and hangers. In the shower there was hot water. The bed was to hard tough and there was no bedside table.

Breakfast was not included in the price, but I had been told I could have breakfast if I wanted to. When I walk up there was no one around so I went out to find a place where I could have breakfast.
When I came back there was someone in the reception. She worked daytime and seemed to be nice and helpful, but I had already decided to move to Las Gardenias (which looked to be much nicer, smaller and run by a family that was present).

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written May 5, 2015

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hostal La Jungla (The Jungle)

I liked my room at The Jungle Hostel. It was on the second floor with two windows from where I could see the sea. There were two beds, a table, a TV, a bedside table with a lamp, hangers and a bathroom with hot water. And it was very quiet. The price of the room for one person was $20 (July 2011). There are also cheaper rooms available at the hostel.

A good breakfast with bread, butter, jam, eggs, fruits, fresh juice and coffee was included in the price. The fruits were grown on their own land, and the last day I also got a passion fruit.

The Jungle Hostel is situated in the outskirts of Puerto Villamil, on the road to Centro Crianza de Tortugas and only 50 metres from the long white sandy beach.

When I arrived to Villamil and was waiting for my bags to arrive from the boat I heard someone call out my name. To my surprise it was a taxi driver and I got a free ride to The Jungle Hostel (there were also three paying customers in the taxi going to another hotel). Leaving the hostel very early another morning I paid $1 for the taxi ride to the harbour.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking