Picoaga Hotel Cusco

Tags

Historical Travel Archeology Family Travel
See Amenities

Nice on the Outside Only

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 19, 2010

Hotel is centrally located, and in a historic building. However, our "family room" - where our children actually wanted to sleep at night - was adjacent to a restaurant / bar that had music blaring until 2am on some nights. We asked to be moved, but were told there were no other suitable rooms.

More concerning, we had 4 DVDs "disappear" from our room (which didn't have a safe in it, by the way). When we left, we accidentally left behind a sentimentally valuable baby blanket on the bed, and it was mysteriously "never found" by cleaning staff.

I would definitely give this hotel a big miss.

Boca24's Profile Photo

Good Location

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 15, 2005

Hotel was clean and well situation in Cusco, just around the corner from the Plaza de Armas. I would recommend, staff was friendly and very helpful, but I would suggest try to get a room in the old section of the hotel, (we stayed in the new) my understanding is that the rooms are bigger in the old section, plus it would have been nice to stay in a more historic section of this hotel.

Unique Quality: Has one major courtyard that you have to walk through to get to the rest of the hotel and just outside our room window was very small courtyard which added to the feeling of the hotel.

Traveler-from-NY's Profile Photo

Excellent Hotel

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 10, 2005

I just returned from a 3 night stay at the Picoaga Hotel, and I would definitely recommend this hotel. I stayed in the colonial section of the hotel in two different rooms. The first room I had was excellent. My only problem was it was facing the street, and there is a lot of street noise. A minor concern, that did not upset my stay. When we returned from our overnight at Machu Picchu, we got a different colonial room, this time it was away from the street. This room was even better then the excellent room I had before, and it had no street noise. The restaurant was very good, and the staff very friendly and helpful. I was very happy with my stay at the Picoaga.

Unique Quality: Beautiful courtyard, great lounge with fireplace. Excellent colonial Spanish architecture.

Directions: Two blocks from the Plaza De Armas

Add to your Trip Planner

Excellent travel agent located inside hotel

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 15, 2004

The hotel is located just off the main square, away from the hustle of the street vendors. The room was of a good standard, clean, with the usual amenities (hair dryer, cable tv, mini bar, room service, and toiletries). The Mirador restaurant on the 4th floor offer an excellent view of the main square and the surrounding hills. The food is good, and very good value. At around 8pm there is live music.

Unique Quality: One excellent point about the hotel is the travel agent located on the right-hand side of the courtyard. After having had a chance to rest and get used to the altitude, we went and asked for information regarding city tours and advice on how to get our train tickets to Machu Picchu (which we had booked online from the UK). The lady (whose name I can't remember) was extremely kind and helpful, and arranged all our tours for us. Our city tour cost US$20, and was with one of the most informative guides I've come across. The Machu Picchu package cost around US$90 (around US$180 with the train ticket), which included the tour guide, return bus tickets, and lunch. She also arranged the cab to take us to the train station to collect our tickets (which involved a complicated queuing system in a little office inside the station). The next morning, she arranged the morning call, picked us from the hotel at 5.30am, gave us the necessary instructions for our trip, and then met us at the station in the evening. She also reconfirmed our flight back to Lima the next day, and offered to take us to the airport! Having her around made such a difference to our stay, and even if you don't stay at this hotel, it's worth while having them arrange the tours (their prices were exactly the same as what the tour tout was offering).

Nearby Picoaga Hotel Cusco

• Spa
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Cusco Travel Forum

Need advice about Cusco, Peru? Visit the Travel Forum for Cusco and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Cusco hotel reviews