More Places to eat in Algeria

Dinner

Most Viewed Restaurants in Algeria

LE CORSAIRE: FOR THE LOVE OF FISH - ORAN

by DAO Updated May 5, 2014

You need to get here a bit early - when they say fresh fish - they mean fresh fish. They are also busy. Because the fish is so good! It really pays to speak French here to explain how you want your fish prepared. I didn't, but I had a wonderful meal. This a very family oriented restaurant as well. They do not serve alcohol, but have plenty of soft drink options. In case you speak no French at all, you can just point in the case and leave the rest to them. My salad starter was fresh and delicious. My Dorade fish was amazing. A simple but great restaurant. If you are only here for one night in Oran, eat here and sample excellent local seafood and life.

They even deliver !

Their website has a good map, a sample of the menu and a few photos (see page 2!)

Dorade fish!

DORADE FISH
    • Aquarium

• sachara's Profile Photo

view from the tea terrace: Djelfa

by sachara Updated Aug 10, 2003

In Djelfa we had our tea on a colourfull terrace with a view at the mosque.
    It looked like a rather new complex with nice blue coloured mosaics and many glittering ornaments in the sun.
    We enjoyed to have a look at the street during our tea stop. We didn't see so many open air terraces in this part of Algeria.

• co48's Profile Photo

Tea stop at Djelfa

by co48 Updated May 24, 2005

When we travelled in Algeria, we made a lot of teastops. Algeria, like all North African countries is a great country for tea-addicts like me. I enjoyed all these locations where also the locals drink their tea

At this place in Djelfa our tea has a special smell of rose water. At each table was a small bottle of rose water.

Favorite Dish: This tea with rose water was not really my favourite one.

Tea stop at Djelfa

by sachara Updated Dec 26, 2015

When we are travelling we made a lot of teastops, so we did at our road/desert trip in Algeria. .
    We prefer locations where also a lot of locals drink their tea and a nice view at the streetlife is also more than welcome.

At the terrace in Djelfa we drunk tea with a special smell of rose water. There was a small bottle of rose water on each table.

drinking tea

restaurant Djurdjura: Lunchstop at El Bayadh

by sachara Updated Aug 10, 2003

The food in Algeria is good. Everywhere you find local restaurants like restaurant Djurdjura in El Bayadh.
    Like in Marocco and Tunesia you can eat couscous , shis kebab and drink a lot of peppermint tea.

Lunch at El Bayadh

View from the restaurant Djurdjura: View at the centre of El Bayadh

by sachara Updated Aug 10, 2003

I like it always very much to make a lunch stop in the centre of a town or a busy street.
    So you can experience a bit of the daily life around the restaurant, to do some small shopping as buying drinks.
    In most of these restaurants also a lot of locals will have their lunch.

El Bayadh

• dabuwan's Profile Photo

Sahara autogrills

by dabuwan Written Feb 2, 2003

Shared taxis are the most common way of transportations between oasis towns in the algerian Sahara. Distances are large and when there is a roadside restaurant in some of the villages along the way usually the driver stops for some food and water.
    They are nice places to meet and talk to local people and usually there is a menu with some choice (that is a plus in central/southern Algeria).
    But sometimes there is no restaurant for hundreds of kms, so always bring at least some water with you.

A typical roadside restaurant

• titti's Profile Photo

desert restaurant: Ahmed the cook

by titti Written Jun 27, 2003

Ahmed the cook was in charge of our food. Vegetables, pasta, couscous, pan de sable, and …tea, of course. Very basic ingredients, but tasty and colourful results. I really enjoyed the food and I loved the tea.

RESTAURANT FUJI YAMA: DIARRHEA FOR 8 DAYS

by DAO Written Nov 16, 2015

So you are wondering why I ate here aren’t you? This restaurant (more of a bar) is inside a brand new shopping plaza and outdoor event venue. Somehow this place still manages to look old, dirty and worn inside this new complex. I was looking for a restaurant where I could get alcohol nearby my apartment and this was the only option. When I walked in the first time I thought I could probably put up with the smoke as the meat and fish inside the glass case looked good, so did the menu and they had a bar. Even sports on TV. So I ‘saved’ my visit to my last night in Algeria.

Big mistake.

When I showed up and tried to take a photo of the outside a large, slightly gangster-like, character not only said “Non! Privée!”, I thought he might actually physically do something unpleasant to me. Once I explained I would be dinning and drinking, he became smarmy and friendly. He told me his name, but who cares?

Inside I watch a very strange ‘hostess’ with massive boobs all but falling out of her blouse talk to the mostly male clientele. I was offered expensive small (but cold) bottles of Heineken.

I ordered a delicious salad and an excellent tasting peppercorn sauce steak. Both were greasy and I though I was probably in for an upset stomach unless I drank enough to sterilise my insides. There were no side dishes – just slightly stake bread. So it was a bar meal, although better tasting than most bars. My other indication I might have trouble was the filthy state of the toilets. They had soap, but even that looked filthy.

So I went back to my apartment to get some sleep. Within hours – you guessed it. And for the next 8 days I spent at least $50 on diarrhoea tablets and a lot of time regretting my meal whilst inside many many toilets.

I once had a bad kebab on the streets of Yemen and had issues for 24 hours. That was the worst until these morons. 8 days!

So if you want to spend time in public toilets for the next week – this is just the place for you!

Favorite Dish:
    You would need to be crazy to eat here. The beer was ok.

• Beer Tasting
    • Singles

• hassan_abu's Profile Photo

THE GREAT OASIS RESTAURANT.: THE GREAT OASIS RESTAURANT.

by hassan_abu Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite Dish: The food here is great. We get sandwich everyday. Nah..not really. The local couscous is delicous.
    This picture was taken on one of our weekly BBQ session every Friday evening. Time to relax and unwind after a hard day's work.

Add to your Trip Planner
  • No choice. The WAC mess and...

by cyberma8 Updated Aug 24, 2002

No choice. The WAC mess and the Officer's Club.

Favorite Dish: A peanut butter, catsup and a slab of raw onion sandwich!
    For a while if we had spam for breakfast, we had Vienna sausages for dinner, and vice versa. Food was filling.

Le Gourbi: Fresh Fish in Ain Taya

by DAO Written Sep 25, 2015

Le Gourbi was opened by owner Ammi Louenes in 1972 and they have been serving fish and other dishes ever since. I just stopped in for a quick look and possibly a light lunch. It’s a large and nicely decorated, although slightly dark, restaurant. The staff were very nice and they made sure I had a nice cold beer while I looked the menu. Before I could even blink, one of the waiters arrived with a massive platter of fresh fish. They take delivery from the fishing boats every morning so it doesn’t get any fresher. Although they specialise in seafood, they also do a selection of French and Arabic dishes. They also take pride in offering ‘Méchoui’. This is a Northern African tradition of slow roasting a whole sheep or a lamb spit-roasted over an open fire. Definitely for large parties only!

I had to pass on the large fish, but decided on a fish soup and some prawns (shrimp). Delicious. When they brought my soup they also brought what I would describe as large croutons, shredded cheese and a sauce to go with it. My prawns were served lightly spiced and in a flavourful oil. I just had a snack but there was a family inside having a very large and delicious looking meal.

To stay in business since 1972, you have to be keeping the locals happy. I have a photo below of their sign in French and Arabic to show a taxi how to get here. Easy.

They are open 7 days a week and well worth a meal here in Ain Taya.

Le Gourbi, Ain Taya Le Gourbi, Ain Taya Le Gourbi, Ain Taya Le Gourbi, Ain Taya Le Gourbi, Ain Taya

La Vague Bleu: Excellent Seafood in Algiers

by DAO Written Nov 16, 2015

These guys came highly recommended and the food doesn’t disappoint. When I walked in Big Chef was cooking away and it looked like a fantastic seafood stew. Smelled great as well. I was politely shown to a table upstairs and a menu in French was produced. And then a nice bottle of water. Unfortunately they don’t serve alcohol here.

Due to my failure to remember seafood vocabulary in French, I just ordered the largest dish. It was very good, but I wish I had just asked Chef what he was making when I came in.

My mixed platter was fantastic. The prawns (shrimp) were absolutely the best I have ever tasted. My tuna fantastic and the rest were a welcome accompaniment. A good meal that was fairly priced.

Apparently the restaurant is owned by a local fisherman who catches all (probably most) of everything you are about to dine on.

If you are here for a few nights, this is a very pleasant experience. It’s located in an arch underneath the city ramparts. If you come early enough you will almost certainly walk past the small fish market that operates out of the other arches.

Favorite Dish:

The house special seafood platter and some nice coca cola.

La Vague Bleu, Algiers La Vague Bleu, Algiers La Vague Bleu, Algiers La Vague Bleu, Algiers La Vague Bleu, Algiers

• DAO's Profile Photo

Le Dauphin: To Classy to Serve Me in Algiers!

by DAO Written Jan 31, 2016

This is supposed to be one of the best restaurants in Algiers. OK, the guidebook is a bit out of date. I couldn’t tell you because they never served me any food! I guess when I showed up with boots, t-shirt and some combat style trousers that I didn’t fit in with the rest of the suit and dress wearing crowd. When I walked in they ignored me before giving me table. They had some nice looking fish tanks and a loud huge screen TV showing sports hanging from the ceiling. Waters walked past me to go see to other guests as they were all farther into the restaurant. Waiters went past again with orders. Waiters returned with food and back to the bar. Waiters returned with drinks and returned somewhere to the rear of the restaurant. After 20 minutes of watching and waving the Manager saw me and finally brought me a menu. Then the waiters walked past me for another 15 minutes before I ordered a beer. Small, expensive but cold. Then I waved some more and 10 minutes later I finally got one of these ignorant bastards to bring me my bill.

It should not take 1 hour to get a bottle of beer!

I watched wine carts go past, desert carts go past. Why would you even contemplate trying to eat here?

So anyway you can find lots of reviews on the internet about this place that essentially report:

• Bad service
    • Possible fraudulent abuse of credit cards
    • Illness after eating here
    • Poor, old seafood
    • Over priced

I can only confirm the first one.

They do serve over-priced alcohol if you really want a drink….

Le Dauphin, Algiers Le Dauphin, Algiers Le Dauphin, Algiers Le Dauphin, Algiers Le Dauphin, Algiers

• DAO's Profile Photo

Kheimat Essaoura, Algiers: PING!

by DAO Written Feb 6, 2016

This restaurant is sometimes called ‘Maison of Cous Cous’. I call it PING! (Will explain in a minute). It seems to have been here a few years and has been jazzed up to be amazingly decorative. Unfortunately it seems the adult children run this place and run it badly. The second I walked in I thought I was in the middle of a Bedouin encampment. It is amazing inside. The second this I noticed was a couple standing at the ‘bar’ playing with a 2 laptops. They had no idea I was even there or wanted to have a table. When I interrupted their internet surfing they moved like sloths to do anything. They gave me a table and a menu and went back to their laptops. I decided what to order and had to interrupt their computing again. And again.

My starter was a tuna salad that looked average and tasted the same. At least the coca cola was cold. I then ordered Cous Cous Royal with Sauce Rouge (red sauce). This was of course after I interrupted more computing. The gentleman actually went into the nearby kitchen and a few minutes later I hear a microwave start up. Then I hear PING! And warm but stale bread arrived. Then the microwave started again. PING! My cous cous arrived. The microwave started again. PING! My sauce and meat arrived. They must have a small microwave as the middle of everything was still cool and the edges were slightly crispy.

Ignorant service and re-heated food. Not good. They say in their menu that their dishes are from their Grandmother’s recipes that they enjoyed as children. I can assure you Grandma did have good manners and did NOT have a microwave. PING!

A real shame, but great decorations in a bad restaurant – is still a bad restaurant.

Kheimat Essaoura, Algiers Kheimat Essaoura, Algiers Kheimat Essaoura, Algiers Kheimat Essaoura, Algiers Kheimat Essaoura, Algiers

Algeria Hotels

• Sofitel Alger

This was the hotel which my local colleagues had suggested to me; it was quite a distance from our...

• Hotel Colombe

182 Reviews - 761 Photos
Adrar Hotels
1 Hotel

Instant Answers: Algeria

Comments

Algeria Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Algeria restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Algeria sightseeing.
Map of Algeria