Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Islamic Cairo History Tour
"Meet your guide at Al-Azhar Park Aslam Al-Silahdar mosque Saint Fatima mosque the Al-Tunbugha al-Maridani mosque and the Al-mihmandar mosque. Continue with Qijmas al-Isaaqi mosque Bab Zweila gate and Al-Salih Talaei mosque.Following with Farag ibn Barquq's Madrasa and Sabil-Kuttab The tent-makers' covered market Al-kurdi mosque
From $70.00

Overnight Trip to Cairo from Alexandria Port
Enjoy an overnight trip from Alexandria to Cairo and experience the best of Egypt. This is a shore excursion and you can be sure you will be returned to your ship 2 hours before departure."""Overnight trip to Cairo starts and ends from Alexandria Port visiting Giza Pyramids Sphinx Memphis Sakkara Egyptian Museum and Felucca Ride on the Nile for an hour."
From $250.00

Day tour Visiting the Highlights of Alexandria: The Catacombs Alexandria library Roman Theater
"At 8:00 am you will be picked up from your hotel in Alexandria by your expert licensed tour guide then start your full day tour visiting the best sites in Alexandria. Start with New library the biggest library in the world now with 8 million books visit the site of the ancient lighthouse; one of the seven wonders of ancient world and end before lunch visiting the Palaces of Farouk.Then stop for lunch in best sea view restaurant in Alexandria. A full meal per person is included beverages are additional cost. After lunch visit Pompys Pillar the remains of ancient library of Alexandria the Roman Amphitheatre
From $82.00

Camels Tips (28)

Don't Pose in Front of Camels for a Picture

don't ever pose in front of camels around the giza necropolis area as eventhough you are not riding them and you are just in front of them and taking pictures, the camel herders wil pester you, rather aggressively to pay them for the picture! they will ask 40 LE (about 5 US Dollars) as payment, even though they are not the ones who took the shot and even if the camels are sitting far from them. If you are with a large group and a burly tour guides, then they would back off but if you are just a pair travelling, then they would pester you.

Unique Suggestions take pictures of the camels far away using your zoom camera and a little bit of photo magic to make it appear that you are near the camel, this way you would not get any annoying people asking for money.

machomikemd's Profile Photo
machomikemd
Oct 24, 2013

This is not a horse

If your going to get a camel then there is one thing you have to remember.

Camels are not horses.

Do not try to sit astride it like it is one.

Watch the way your guide rides. Scoot all the way up to the saddle horn so it is flush against your abdomen and place your legs towards/on the downward slope leading to the neck of the camel. Hook your right leg upward a bit and get comfortable.

This may seem unstable when you first take yourself out of sitting astride, but there is a reason the locals ride this way. Give yourself two minutes sitting astride a camel in horseback fashion and you'll end up limping the rest of your trip.

When in doubt in Cairo use your eyes and your brain.

brightwit
Jan 22, 2011

Camel Ride at Pyramids

Please be careful while negotiating with the Camel man, ask very clearly about the rates in Egyptian Pounds. Our guide told us it was 100 Egyptian Pounds ( 100 L.E. or about USD$20) per person and we paid for 3 of us. But the ride was only for about half an hour, I think it was a bit expensive for half an hour. The guide also told us that you may be cheated by them if we do not go through her as she spoke in Arabic to them. There are many instances that they ask for UK Pounds of US Dollar 100!
On way they will ask if you are intersted to get yourself photographed, who does n't? Then they will ask for 10 Egyptian Pounds for photographs taken, then he will ask for additional Bakhshis ( Tips)

Unique Suggestions Please make sure before you start how much money he will take in Egyptian Pounds. Ofcourse, if you are filthy rich, or want to pay the poor man, you can always go ahead and pay as much as you want.

Fun Alternatives Take the horse carriage, or another camel. But you will be mobbed here too! Be polite and take another willing person, I am sure there will be many!

goutammitra's Profile Photo
goutammitra
Oct 24, 2010

Camel Rides @ Giza- Don't Get Stranded!

Beware of camel owners/operators that try to extort money from visitors just wanting to take a short ride or pose for photos on a camel. Agree on a price and explain to the handler that you would like a short ride of 5-10 minutes and maybe a photo. The latest scam is they will agree on a price and take you quite a distance from where you started from in order ask you for more money to return you back to where you started from. It may not seem like that big a deal, but believe me, if you are out there in the hot desert sun, it will be.

Again, bargain and agree on a fair price, set a short time limit, that way you can get a nice photo of you on a camel and you can still leave with most of your money.

Court94403's Profile Photo

66, El Gomhoria Street, Cairo, Egypt
2 El Shawarby St 4th Floor, Off Kasr El Nil St Down Town, 11111
17, Suleiman Al-Halaby, Cairo, 1000, Egypt

Horses and Camels - only go to decent stables

Be careful on your way to the pyramids of giza - DO NOT give in to or start talking to anyone who tries to stop your taxi on the road or let your driver take you to a 'friend's' stable - he'll be getting commission. these horses are in general not well-cared for and neither are their customers (bridles and saddles won't fit or be safe and the 'guide' (normally a ten year old boy) will simply crack a whip behind them to make them run; ignoring anything you might want

Unique Suggestions Just completely ignore anyone who tries to get you to stop the car, ride their horses/camels. Be firm that you know where you're going. Don't get stressed, just think of it as a battle of wills!

bissauma
Jun 27, 2009

Camel rides

What trip is not complete without a camel ride. Sure it is a tourist trap.....so......just enjoy it. We did. Here is my wonderful Mom, can you believe it? I managed to get her on this camel (believe me, this is no small task, my sister tried getting her on a camel in Morocco but, hey, I am the special one, so I convinced her to get on this camel.

It was one of the highlights of our trip (along with the donkey ride which is another chapter under my Egypt trip). I am not sure what a camel ride would cost because we didn't pay for our evening ride which took us to the Pyramid Plateu and gave us the opportunity to see (for free) the Pyramid Lazer Light Show.

Can you believe that? There truly are very nice people in this wonderful world that we live in and I am happy that we had the opportunity to meet quite a few here in Cairo.

Gypsystravels's Profile Photo
Gypsystravels
Oct 10, 2008

15 minute camel ride on Giza

We heard some one who took the 15 minute camel ride on Giza, the guy was forced to pay more money to come back after they had led him to far out which no one heard him screaming to let him go.......
I also saw 2 women arguing with a camel guy who did not give change to the ladies after the ride. The guy simply denied the women about he promised to give them change back.

VZ-Pam's Profile Photo
VZ-Pam
Jan 26, 2008

Camel rides trap at the Giza

I saw a guy haggled his price in taking a picture with the camel in front of a pyramid. Then some guy will walked next to you and volunteer to be on your picture by putting his hand on your shoulder without asking for your permission to be on the photo. Then this guy will chase after you non-stop for a big tip & so was the one who rent you the camel for picture.......

VZ-Pam's Profile Photo

uglyscot

"Cairo- Umm el Dunya"
Diana75's Profile Photo

Diana75

"CAIRO... still thinking of..."
travelife's Profile Photo

travelife

"Cairo"

this isn't Disneyland

I was in Cairo, visiting the pyramids. The idea of riding a camel never crossed my mind. What am I, an eight year old? It seemed vaguely odd that my own tour guide asked me about four times if I wanted to ride a Camel around the pyramids. I was trying to get a sense of 4000 years of history and those bugs turn it into some cheap, mawkish carnival ride. I simply refused every attempt. Only after reading the other comments did I realize what a scam I avoided.

Fun Alternatives I told my guide I wanted to walk completely around the largest pyramid. Khufu? Cheops? Whatever. He was not pleased with this idea. He said it would take several hours. What, was he high? It took about 20 minutes!! And that's because I was having trouble with breathing. The entire country is full of annoying, money-grubbing bugs.

william_44's Profile Photo
william_44
Sep 25, 2007

Camel Ride

Allways negotiate the price before you get on the Camel. Don't give more than 10LE (usualy 1-2 LE will be enough) . One guy had to pay 25 euros in order to get off it.

Camel ride is most expencive near the Pyramids.

I dont like repiting the tips but I have to put this one on every of my Egypt pages

vesna04's Profile Photo
vesna04
Sep 03, 2007

Camel rides in Giza-beware of blackmailing guides

Camel rides around the Giza pyramids are great fun and taking one after 4 pm when the pyramids are closed allows you to take great panoramic photos of them without the crowds around. However be wary as the guide we went with stopped the group a fair ways out from the stables (we're talking the desert after hours) and demanded generous tips from everyone in the group before continuing on-i.e implying that if we didn't cough up he would leave us out there. Also when we got back the stable manager was quick to point out that we went over the 1hr and should pay more than the agreed price (although the pace and timing of the tour was dictated by his guide on horse back who'd earlier blackmailed us). These camel ride operators are notorious for this kind of caper and something should be done about this but it would seem that the tourist police get their backhanders from these operators so this will probably continue to happen.

Unique Suggestions Do not get on the camels before agreeing on a price and the length of time you want to go out for. Often the stable master will say just get on the camels and to take a photo and then talk price later-once you're up on the camels the timer has started and he will charge based on time spent on them. Often people ask for an hours ride but the guide will take the group right around all the sites and bring you back hours later and then insist that you've done the full tour and have to pay the full price. Stick to your guns and tell the stable master up front how much you're prepared to pay for what length of time you want to ride for. If you come back later than the agreed time-this is the fault of the guide who does this intentionally to stretch out the bill and not yours so pay what you specifically asked for in the first place. We did this and when the stable master grumbled and asked for more I reminded him that I'd asked for an hour and his guide stuffed us around.

Skylarker1
Jul 02, 2007

How can you not do this

Ok, you are in Cairo, and you must ride a camel, and they know it. Just be smart about it. If your with a tour guide ask him to negiotate for you. And no matter what you do don't take the first price they give you again they all speak ENGLISH, French, Italian, German, you'll be surprised. We took a 30 minute ride and the camel owner took great pictures of us, at the end we paid 100 LE for 2 of us, about $20 US dollars. Not as bad I thought it would be....but be warned the camel stink like you never smelled before, so make sure you don't have nice clothes on, if not you'll end up throwing them away !!!!!

jlanza29's Profile Photo
jlanza29
Feb 20, 2007

Things to Do Near Cairo

Khan el Khalili

Best tip for here would be to walk like an Egyptian. Walk, acknowledge hello's and welcome with a smile, say Shukran and KEEP walking. Don't initially express excitement through your eyes, they are...

Agricultural Museum

In the Agricultural museum, it is interesting to see the kind of food the ancient Egyptians eat. There are so many grains and fruits remaining from 4000 years ago and more. We know the pyramid...

Wekalet El Ghoury - Wekalet el Ghouri Arts Center

Egyptian Tanoura Show is different from the Turkish Whirling Dervishes! The Tanoura Show originated in egypt and is usually performed by Egyptian Sufi Muslims and the Tanoura is similar to the...

Nilometer

'Egypt is the Nile' and since the height of the annual inundation of the river was crucial to the economy forecasting it has always been a matter of great interest. The pharonic nilometer was a...

Islamic Cairo

Mediaeval Cairo, often referred to as Fatimid or Islamic Cairo, is extremely fascinating, as this part of the city has changed little in perhaps 500 years. It was the centre of Cairo for eight...

Mosque of Muhammad Ali - Alabaster

At the opposite side of the Mohamed Ali mosque there is the smaller El Nasir mosque which I enjoyed more as it was poorer I mean not as much decorated as the other one. This one was built between 1318...

Getting to Cairo

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Tourist Traps. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Tourist Traps. Help us improve our info!

Map