Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Private Tour: Half-Day Guided Tour of Marrakech
"Meet your guide at the famous ""Jamaa El Fena"" square at 10am. Walk into the heart of the medina and discover many of the hidden gems of the medina. See alleys buildings people and get an introduction to the Moroccan culture.Walking for half an hour with your guide into the vibrant medina chatting and learning about the local culture you will come across different sections such the artisan section. Take a pause to witness artisans making handmade crafts such as colored leader hammered lanterns
From $40.00

Private Moroccan Cooking Class and Massage Hammam Experience in Marrakech
"Your cooking class takes place at a Moroccan family's house in the in the heart of the Medina in Marrakech. The place and the house were not built just for the course and they have not been altered - it does not get any more authentic.Arriving at your chef will welcome you and then invite you for a tea ritual and breakfast. You will then get an introduction to Moroccan food and its history before being introduced to the different wonderful spices vegetables and seasoning used in Moroccan cuisine. Then roll your sleeves up and enjoy your comprehensive cooking class by making a main dish two starters and a dessert. Then enjoy your homemade lunch. At the end of the course you will receive a diploma.After all this hard work it's time to relax. Your driver will take you to a nearby hammam a traditional Moroccan spa
From EUR90.00

Full-Day Small-Group Marrakech Bike Tour with Lunch
"You will be picked up in the morning from your Hotel/Riad and taken to the bike shop. After a bike fitting you will first visit the Medina: Medersa Ben Youssef Bahía Palace El Badi Palace Koutoubia mosque and Saadien Tombs in the morning.Then you will enjoy a traditional Moroccan meal for lunch in a charming Riad in the Medina.After lunch you will head to the New City
From EUR70.00

Dyers District Tips (6)

The Dyers Souk (continued)

After a pleasant time spent learning about the dyes and 'dressing up' ;-) (see previous tip!)I tried to explain that I wanted to see the skeins of wool hanging to dry (as I'd seen on post cards/guide books)
The boy who'd shown me to this yard appeared and took me across the alley, and through a shop, which led onto a yard, where I found what I was looking for!

I was told that this was silk. The bright colours were stunning against the blue sky, a complete contrast to the drab surroundings of the yard. After taking my photos, the boy led me into a house, where I hesitantly followed him up the rickety staircase. Questioning my wiseness - where was I being taken? We arrived on the rooftop, where the boy pointed to more hanks of silk drying below. I think he was very used to 'crazy tourists' who wanted to take photos of silk hanging up to dry!!

Mar 22, 2009

The Dyers Souk

After wandering around the various alleyways, I finally found the Dyers souk (with a bit of help from a local boy, yes he expected a tip, but he was quite helpful, and was satisfied with the few dh I gave him)

I was shown into a yard, where some hanks of wool were drying in the sun on the floor, and there were tubs of dyes. I had to be careful to avoid treading on some tiny kittens that were walking around!

A man came over and showed me the tubs, before leading me into a room, where one of the dyers showed me jars of brightly coloured natural dyes. He kept asking me what colour I thought the dye was, I thought he was trying to learn the english words for the colours, but when he mixed some of them with water, they changed colour completely!

He had some attractive hand dyed silk scarves for sale, but I explained that I wasn't buying. He was ok about this, and then proceeded to wrap a length of material around my head, before handing me a mirror and pronouncing me a Toureg!

This was a nice travel memory - just sharing some time with one of the local artisans, having a chat and a laugh, and not feeling pressurised to buy anything.

Mar 22, 2009

The Dyers Area

Here you will find the activities involved in dyeing wool and silk - so you will find here skeins of wool and silk freshly dyed and still wet hanging out to dry in the sun and warm air.

And then of course the end products for sale too - with prices still in need of a good haggle to get down to the value! ie pretty silk scarves in a range of lovely shades but with a starting over priced price of 450 dirham! which i got down to 150 dirham but when checking prices later that we had paid the opinions of our moroccan connections were that they shouldve been 80-100 dirhams.

We were brought here by our 'guide' which gratefully included a climb up onto the roof of a local multistoried building which gave us great views down into the dyers souk below us and the surrounding area.

angiebabe's Profile Photo
angiebabe
Jul 07, 2007

Tanneries in Marrakech

You pay a very small fee to the guard of the Tanneries and in return you get some mint leaves.

You'll need them and constantly hold them IN your nose because otherwise you can't stand the stinking skins.

I had some mud on my short and it stank for two weeks... Beware !!!

chrisvandenbroucke's Profile Photo