Basilique Sainte-Anne-du-Congo de Brazzaville
This is probably the most notable building in Brazzaville, or at least the one that impressed me more, apart from the Statue against Slavery.
It is a catholic basilica, since most of the inhabitants in Congo are catholic.
The funny thing is that its architect was a protestant (French Roger Lelièvre). It is huge and beautifulRelated to:
- Budget Travel
- Adventure Travel
How to manage all these roadblocks?
As in C.A.R. there are roadblocks in Congo, but much easier.
I can give you some tips. Please refuse to pay as long as possible, because people following you have a easier job. There is more or less peace in the country but the system is corrupt up to the president. They are used to take and take, even from the locals.
1. Ad a big flag of your country of origin to your car! You look more official. Get a letter of recommendation (in French!). We got one from the International Institute of Peace. But you can also create a letter by yourself. We have been the first travelers with their own cars from Europe within 10 years, so why not.
2. Be self confident!
3. Turn up the headlights of your car (how the government does *ggg*)!
4. Sometimes friendly, sometimes rude (You will soon find out)!
6. Show them that you have a lot of time to steal them!
7. Our best trick (only working with the military) was:
- Drive as close to the road block as possible. Full breaking!
- Don't get out of the car. Fixate them angrily!
- They always show up (after 1-3 Min.)!
- Look a little nicer, but still serious!
- Take the window down to the half (not further!).
- With Firmer voice:
We are from (AD YOUR COUNTRY and point at the flag), (AD YOUR ORGANIZATION and point at your sticker) and we want to continue!
It always worked 100%: They opened the road block.
5. Others: Explain them, that you just need a stamp for entering and leaving the country and that their stamp is illegal! Because when they see, that you have got some stamps, they know, that you pay. Then they will ask a registration-fee. React depending on the situation! E.g. wait in the car and read a book. Usually it works after 10-25 Minutes.
6. They have many Customs in the country. Explain them you will tell your friends in Kinshasa and so on. You will find out soon and get through these roadblocks!Related to:
- Budget Travel
- Road Trip
visit the center of...
visit the center of brazzaville which has been destroyed by the war;trees have grown among official buildings and the administrative area is now a large equatorial forest;I believe they have succeeded to rebuild a littleAdd to your Trip Planner
MBUDI PARC - CHEZ CONSEILLER
Fellows, if you're in for a nice primus in a nice landscape, order a trip to MBUDI Parc, along the Congo stream... Romantic and nice !!!Add to your Trip Planner
Republic of Congo Hotels
I had also a special night as a girl knocked and knocked all the time at my door;I got up and went...more
This hotel is writtin about in almost every guide i have seen about Brazzaville, unfortunatly it...more
Rue Alfassa, (Next to French Embassy), Brazzaville, Republic of the Congo
Good for: Families
Top Republic of Congo Hotels
- Brazzaville Hotels
- 17 Reviews - 27 Photos
Explore the World
- Sand Harbor Beach State Recreation Area Hotels
- Fort Necessity State Park Hotels
- Scoresby Hotels
- Lake Koshkonong Hotels