Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

3-Day Guided Safari: Kruger National Park from Johannesburg
"Day 1: Johannesburg - Kruger Park (D) Depart from Johannesburg no later than 7:30am. On entering Numbi Gate you'll take a leisurely drive with your guide pointing out various bird species antelope and discussing our flora and fauna with you.Then stop at one of the Kruger camps for a lunch break before continuing on your afternoon game drive till gate closing time and then check in to your accommodation for a well deserved good nights rest as does your 3 day classic safari in order to have a greater chance of seeing game so you’ll get a wake-up call at 5:30am in order to get on the road by the time the gates open. You'll stop at one of the Kruger camps for breakfast at 8am. After breakfast you'll continue on your safari hoping to spot as many animals as possible before lunch when you will stop for another break
From ZAR7,500.00

4-Day Guided Kruger Park Adventure Safari from Johannesburg
"Day 1: Johannesburg - Kruger Park (D) Depart from Johannesburg no later than 7:30am. From Numbi Gate your 4 day adventure safari follows the Numbi to Skukuza road viewing plenty of game as you go. Many animals move towards water in the hot afternoon sun and you’ll see herds of impala and waterbuck on the banks of the rivers and at the waterholes. By the time you arrive at Skukuza the largest camp in the Kruger National Park you will have had a good idea of what’s to follow in the next few days on your Kruger Park adventure safari. You’ll be booking into camp before the gates close for the night and after checking in you’ll have a chance to freshen up in your chalet before joining others for a delicious buffet dinner at the camp’s restaurant. Days 2: Kruger Park (B D) The Kruger Park adventure safari gets going early in the Kruger
From ZAR8,900.00

2-Day Bushveld Safari Guided Tour from Johannesburg
"Day 1: Johannesburg - Kruger Park (D) Depart from Johannesburg no later than 6:30am. From the Kruger Park gate slowly making your way to the camp for lunch game viewing on the way.  (This may change as we are in radio contact with other vehicles so it all depends where the action is).  After lunch you'll continue your Kruger Park bushveld safari game drive until late afternoon when you'll will mak as does everything in the Kruger National Park in order to have a greater chance of seeing game and our elusive predators still on the prowl so it is up bright and early in order to get on the road when the gates open. Breakfast will be enjoyed at one of the picnic areas or Kruger camps after which we continue our game viewing departing from the Kruger Park at 10:00am and returning to Johannesburg in the late afternoon."""
From ZAR3,750.00

airport Tips (9)

Getting to Klaserie

The easiest way to get to the Klaserie Private Nature Reserve (which is adjacent to Kruger) is to fly from Johannesburg (JNB) to Hoedspruit (HDS). There are two daily direct flights and the HDS airport is about an hour away from the actual camp we stayed at (nThambo Tree Camp). Unfortunately for us, we tried to reserve rather late when only one way was available, so we opted to hire a car and drive from JNB instead. Athough long, the 6-hour drive allowed us to enjoy some breathtaking South African scenery and to see a couple of towns along the way. The main motorways from Johannesburg are excellent, but the smaller roads towards Kruger are full of potholes, and signage is decent if you know the name of the next town along the route. Beware though, one must be VERY alert for traffic police who target speeding tourists (since we're the only ones who can afford the hefty 500 Rand speeding tickets). Yes, I was stopped twice for speeding (unfairly I would argue)... I accepted the first ticket (and subsequently paid it in Cape Town), but I argued my way out of the second and succeeded! The attached photo shows the route we took both ways.

MM212's Profile Photo
MM212
Jan 07, 2014

My favourite airport in the whole wide world!

I fly about once a fortnight on business :( and as often as I can for pleasure :), but let me confess up front that although its an integral part of my life, I just don't like flying. And I really don't enjoy airports one little bit.

Which is why I find it somewhat strange to be writing about my 'favourite' airport!

We visit Hoedspruit regularly, and the best option that we have found is to fly with Airlink into tiny Phalaborwa airport, a mining town on the fringe of the Kruger Park. Although the costs are higher than for the Nelspruit option, they tend to be considerably lower than the cost of flights to Hoedspruit itself, and there are more flights per week. The drive from Phalaborwa to Hoedspruit thereafter only takes an hour along a good, fast tar road.

Phalaborwa is also ideally placed for those intending to visit the northern and central parts of Kruger (rather than the more touristed southern section) and offers all the usual amenities, including car hire, a tourist office and lots of accommodation in town.

Phalaborwa airport is a charming and friendly place, with a thatched roof and whimsical lifesize wildlife sculptures in unexpected places (the baboon perched up by the entrance always takes me by surprise). Some inspired designer decided to imprint animal footprints into the cement floor of the terminal building and these keep my children entertained for ages as they try to follow the 'trails' of the respective animals and work out the 'story' that the footprints are telling (extremely useful when you're checking in or sorting our the paperwork for car hire).

Quite simply, I always feel as though my holiday has begun when I land in Phalaborwa, and in my experience, it's rare that you can describe any airport in such glowing terms!

CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
CatherineReichardt
Aug 07, 2011

KRUGER MPUMALANGA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

Why drive to Kruger National Park when you can fly here? Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport is the aerial gateway to the Southern part of Kruger National Park. Although it’s a small airport, they have all the major car rental companies here. So, you can fly here and then drive to nearby Kruger or go on to Mozambique. It is also possible to fly here from Johannesburg and save a lot of time and driving!

The following airlines fly here:

Interlink Airlines
Website: www.interlinkairlines.com

Fair Aviation (Pty) Limited - Lanseria Airport
eMail: flight@fairaviation.co.za

SA Airlink (HIGLY RECOMMENDED MY ME!)
Website: www.saairlink.co.za

DAO's Profile Photo
DAO
Jul 09, 2008

Skukuza

We were sent a car to pick us up and transport us to Idube. This is not the type of trip where you would just land there and get a taxi. The airport is really a concrete strip with one bland concrete building.

RblWthACoz

Greater Kruger Park, South Africa
Kruger National Park, South Africa
Pioneer Dam, 1390

Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport

This airport is lovely. It is a thatched building situated in an open plain. It is a lovely sight to see and one of my favourite smells in the world: that of a thatched roof! When you go inside the airport that’s just what you smell: bliss! It always reminds me of childhood holidays spent in the parks in and around KZN.

The staff were super efficient and we were able to check in long before our flight. There is not much in the way of entertainment – a small coffee shop upstairs that is comfortable and serves good tasting coffee.

We were able to sit outside on the grass too after checking in…there are not many airports where you can do that…

There is only one flight a day from Durban to Mpumalanga airport, and that is around mid-day. I do advise booking well in advance to make sure you get a seat.

kzngirl's Profile Photo
kzngirl
Nov 18, 2005

Getting there by air:

There are three airports near Kruger National Park:

Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport
Hoedspruit Airport
Phalaborwa Airport

In the past we have driven to Kruger National Park from our home in Durban, and we have also flown into Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport.

Airlines flying into these airports are SAAirlink and Nationwide Airlines

kzngirl's Profile Photo
kzngirl
Nov 18, 2005

Mpumalanga Airport

The closest airport to Kruger is Mpumalanga airport in Nelspruit. Its about a 40 minute drive from the park. From here you can catch a plane to Johannesburg with other domestic and international connections there.

Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
Jim_Eliason
Aug 05, 2005

New international airport at Kruger Park

The Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport (KMIA) opened for commercial flight operations on Monday 21 October 2002.

One of the alliance partners, South African Airlink will be operating into Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport from this date.

So as to ensure a smooth phase out of Skukuza Airport in the Kruger National Park, South African Express Airways will continue to operate out of Skukuza up until and including Tuesday 22 October 2002.

Thereafter, South African Express Airways will also commence operations into Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport management.

LysDor's Profile Photo
LysDor
Apr 25, 2004

Top 5 Kruger National Park Writers

Braveheart.southafrr's Profile Photo

Braveheart.southafrr

"*THE KRUGER NATIONAL PARK* and the surrouding area"
K.Knight's Profile Photo

K.Knight

"Kruger, the total wildlife experience..in comfort!"
Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

Jim_Eliason

"Kruger National Park"
MikeAtSea's Profile Photo

MikeAtSea

"The Kruger National Park – Wildlife Paradise"
DAO's Profile Photo

DAO

"NON-STOP WILDLIFE"

AIRPORT

THEY NOW HAVE AN INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT RIGHT MPUMALANGA SO NOW IT IS SO EASY TO GET THERE , BEFORE YOU HAD TO FLY TO JOHANNESBURG INTERNATIONAL THEN DRIVE TO THE KRUGER NATIONAL PARK NOW ONE CAN FLY STRAIGHT THERE ........................

Braveheart.southafrr's Profile Photo
Braveheart.southafrr
Aug 25, 2003

Things to Do Near Kruger National Park

Things to Do

Game Drives (guided)

As part of the price of the safari with Viva Safari we received 5 game drives. One sunset drive, one early morning drive, two afternoon drvies and one Kruger Park drive (for more on the Kruger Park...

Getting to Kruger National Park

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Transportation. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Transportation. Help us improve our info!

Map