Map &

From ZAR8,900.00
2-Day Bushveld Safari Guided Tour from Johannesburg
From ZAR3,750.00

Malaria Tips (11)

Kruger is considered within the malaria zone

Prior to my arrival I did my research regarding malaria pills. I asked my tour company as well and was told that Kruger is considered within the malaria zone and malaria pills are highly recommended. Sadly, malaria pills are not usually covered by any US insurance (from what I understand in many other coutries as well), unless you already have malaria (cure, not preventive). The malaria pills can be very expensive. I had my doctor call in a perscription and I was quoted for 21 days $150 for the pills! Wow!

I did a bit of research on the CDC and certain antibiotics can take the place of the malaria pills. Lucky for me, Kruger was one of the locations and I was able to have my doctor fill my perscription for Doxycycline which was the substitute. He filed the script for 21 days and I was told to start taking it two days before I was to be at Kruger and for two weeks after (but I stopped taking them once I was home).

Gypsystravels's Profile Photo
Aug 12, 2015

100% DEET is pointless and dangerous

100% DEET is pointless and dangerous. If you don't wash it off you hands before touching some plastics, they start to go sticky, like my camera.... This is because it is also a solvent and can also break down some synthetic fabrics. Think what that must be like for your skin.

The concentration of DEET governs how long it is effective for, not how repellant it is.
On average, products containing 100% DEET will be effective for 9.5 hours, 30% DEET for 6.5 hours, 15% DEET for 5 hours, 10% DEET for 3 hours and 5% DEET for 2 hours.

50% is sufficient to last all night (unless you are a heavy sleeper, and most tourist accommodation in mosquito areas have mosquito nets ont eh beds or windows.

ChristopherB72's Profile Photo
Jun 11, 2014

Do I have your attention? Good. Most of South Africa is Malaria free. However, Kruger National Park has Malaria and the mosquitoes to infect you with it. My doctor once told me that 1 million Europeans a year get Malaria! And it can be very fatal after just one mosquito bite. Please do not take chances. You need to start your course of medication 2 weeks before you travel with most anti-malarial drugs. I highly recommend you use an insect repellent with 100% DEET. It is best not to get bitten at all. So have a safe and healthy holiday.

MALARIA can incubate in your body for years. Do you really want to take the chance?

I would suggest you buy repellent with 100% DEET.

DAO's Profile Photo
Apr 04, 2011

Malaria.. Take precautions but don't die of fear.

First things first about malaria. Don't go on holiday to Kruger with the fear of God in you. Malaria is preventable in most cases, and if you catch malaria, it is treatable as long as you see a doctor as soon as symptoms develop.
So, take all the usual precautions, take some malaria pills and remember, the people most at risk of dying from malaria seem to be very young children.
For UK visitors. According to the NHS, about 1,500 travellers return to the UK with malaria every year, so it's worth taking precautions. (See website below for advice).
Need I say more. All the other posts here will have all the advice you need.
Have a good trip and don't let those dastardly little blighters bite you out of enjoying your holiday.

Dec 11, 2010

Greater Kruger Park, South Africa
Kruger National Park, South Africa
Pioneer Dam, 1390

Malaria Warning!

Malaria tablets are essential when travelling in this area. Please consult your doctor or chemist a few weeks prior to your trip, so that you can start taking them in the required dosage.

A doctor is mostly available in the KNP in case of an emergency. Your guide is also trained in first aid. KNP shops stock many off the shelf medicines and other essentials too. Even though they are likely to have these in the shop, I would bring headache tablets, Rennies etc along with me too just in case they don?t have what you need. Being asthmatic, I have to be extra careful re what medication I use, even an over-the-counter cough syrup can have dangerous side effects. So I err on the side of caution.

Jenniflower's Profile Photo
Apr 18, 2006

I have had it twice and it is not fun...! If you are traveling in this region take precautions towards Malaria. If you do not take medication in prevention and you have the following symptoms after your return go straight to your doctor and tell him you were in a Malaria region: Flue like symptoms, combined with headache, backache and fever. Remember malaria kills almost a Million people each year and the longer you wait the more the parasite will multiply in your blood – the result is fatal!

MikeAtSea's Profile Photo
Oct 13, 2004

The most important and most effective way of preventing malaria is firstly to prevent mosquito bites. The following preventative measures can be taken:

Remain indoors from dusk to dawn if possible as malaria mosquitoes usually feed in the early evenings and mornings -- not quite handy when all safaris at those times!
Anyway, cover your arms and legs towards evenings with light coloured clothing to cover exposed skin areas and especially the ankles. Wear long sleeved shirts, long trousers, socks and closed shoes.

* Apply insect repellents to exposed skin areas every 4-6 hours.

* Burn insecticide coils or electrically heated insecticide tablets in the bedroom at night.

* Spray knock-down insecticide for flying insects inside the bedroom in the early evening with windows/doors closed if there are no window screens.

* Screened mosquito proof windows and doors and mosquito nets guard against mosquito bites.

* Clothes and nets impregnated with Pyrethroid could be used.

Another way of preventing malaria is to take additional preventative drugs when visiting an endemic malaria area, especially in the warm and rainy months from October to May.

The preventative medication of choice for visitors to the Kruger National Park and surrounding areas is a combination of CHLOROQUIN and PALUDRINE.

Chloroquin is taken on a weekly basis and Paludrine daily.

The first dose of Chloroquine should be taken a week before entering a malaria area to see if there are no serious side effects. Paludrine can be taken 2 days before entering the malaria area.

It is important to continue to take the medication during your stay AND FOR FOUR WEEKS after leaving the malaria area.

It is advisable to take the medication at night with food to reduce side effects like nausea.

If the Chloroquine/Paludrine combination cannot be used, DOXYCYCLINE on a once daily basis can be taken after meals as a preventative drug.

The rest of the story -with photos- is in my travelogue

LysDor's Profile Photo
Apr 15, 2004

Keep healthy

Recommendations for health - Ensure that you are given the anti-malarial medication specifically for the Kruger area. Wear long sleeved shirts and trousers after dusk as this is when the mozzies will bite!
Get vaccinated!!
Take a medication pack with sterile needles, IV set and suture kit
Take something to stop diarrhoea, a rehydrant, some broad spec. antibiotics, and if you are on any medication DON'T forget to take that
Sun cream
Warm clothes for cold nights

Jul 27, 2003

Top 5 Kruger National Park Writers

Braveheart.southafrr's Profile Photo

"*THE KRUGER NATIONAL PARK* and the surrouding area"
K.Knight's Profile Photo

"Kruger, the total wildlife comfort!"
Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

"Kruger National Park"
MikeAtSea's Profile Photo

"The Kruger National Park – Wildlife Paradise"
DAO's Profile Photo

Braveheart.southafrr's Profile Photo
Aug 30, 2003

Malaria !

The Krugerpark is in a malaria zone. Do consult your doctor before going. Malaria can be deadly ,so use profylaxe.

tompt's Profile Photo
Oct 02, 2002

Malaria is a problem in this part of South Africa and is a nasty disease. Take tablets and, most of all, do whatever you can to avoid being bitten in the first place.

phil_uk_net's Profile Photo
Oct 02, 2002

Things To Do Near Kruger National Park

Things to Do

Game Drives (guided)

As part of the price of the safari with Viva Safari we received 5 game drives. One sunset drive, one early morning drive, two afternoon drvies and one Kruger Park drive (for more on the Kruger Park...

Getting to Kruger National Park

We don't yet have an address for this Warnings and Dangers. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this Warnings and Dangers. Help us improve our info!