Map &

Cape Town City and Constantia Wine Route Private Day Tour
From ZAR3,500.00

Shopping Tips (16)

Clock Tower Plaza

This old clock is part of the V&A waterfront and is its most famous landmark. it was built as the port captains office in 1882 and has sat on various location along the waterfront ever since. The V&A waterfront was built around to accommodate this landmark.

Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
Jul 06, 2016

Many bargains but "Buyer Beware"

I was there late November and there are many, many wonderful shops in the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront Mall. Give yourself at least a full day to explore and roam through the various sections. I particularly enjoyed the crafts shops and restaurants. I had a beautiful embroidered suede coat made for me by Ulka Designs while I was there. I got some lovely items at Dressed in Africa and Indaba Lifestyle. I also purchased some exquisite carved pieces at some of the other shops. I would highly recommend most vendors but caution you about purchasing any precious stones or high end jewelry.
I purchased a ring from BLUE WHITE JEWELLERY. They were located in a kiosk in upper level of the V&A Mall. When I returned to Texas, I took the ring to my jeweler to be appraised for insurance purposes. I found out that the appraisal documentation & claims they verbally made for the quality of the diamond and tanzanite were false. The stones were inferior and the value was considerably less than what I had paid. I immediately contacted the merchant and explained the situation. They “refused” to accept a return even at my expense. This is not a sign of a reputable merchant.
This was an unfortunate lesson for me that I hope you do not have to experience. Beyond that; enjoy the shopping and be sure to get your VAT refunds.

Mar 06, 2011

Old biscuit Mill Market

This is a great place ( have an unique shopping experience in Cape Town! You'll meet lots of locals who love to go there every Saturdays from 10.00 to 13.00. There is a market with amazing local products and some very nice shops with lots of Proudly South African products.

Jul 02, 2009

Flea Markets

There are many flea markets scattered around Cape Town and the peninsula. The best known one is probably Green Market Square. A lovely place to browse around for souvernirs and gifts. Just be careful a watch out for pick pocketers.

mvtouring's Profile Photo

23 Jarvis Street, De Waterkant Village, 8001
28 Rose Street, Bo-Kaap, 8001
corner of Prestwich & Alfred Street, Cape Town, 8001, South Africa

Stroll along LONG Street

There's an endless line of shops and street hawkers along the street. Where you can find all kinds of handicraft, consumer products, cosmetics,......more than you can expect. Long Street leads you to the famous 'Green Market Square', in front of the Old Town House. Enjoy bargaining with the sellers from all over Southern Africa. + Lots of street performers here, I like the guy with hundreds of eggs on his head!!! Anyway, watch out for pick-pockets.

WaRPer's Profile Photo
Dec 21, 2006

Kalk Bay Fishing Village

Kalk Bay has lots of little alley ways and cobbled streets, is considered very arty and avantgarde.

It has lovely art galleries, art and craft shops, antique shops and collectibles. It has undergone a rejuvenation in the last 20 years, and is trendy but not over commercialised.

The harbour is lovely to visit first thing in the morning, when the fisherman come in with their fresh fish! Prices are good, have a good haggle and go home and braai (BBQ) the fish.

Very yummy!

You are guaranteed an EXCELLENT meal here.

The Harbour House, The Polana, Theresa, The Olympia Cafe & Deli, The Veggie Table, Timeless Way and Cape to Cairo are but a few of the excellent restaurants available here.

Jenniflower's Profile Photo
May 23, 2006

Shopping at Century City / Canal Walk

Century City is a bit out of the city close to Milnerton. It is a lovely centre with each and every shop you can think of. Less designer stores than at V&A and obviously not that expensive.
The MTN science centre is a hit with children. Gary and I enjoyed ourselves as well.

A family ticket is R77 and you can spend the whole day there. You get a stamp on your hand and can move in and out as you please. Make sure you attend the "camera obscura" session. It works with mirrors and even though you are inside the building you can see the reflections of the cars moving, the movement of the water in the canals etc.

All the other mall things are there like movies, places to eat, lots of chain stores and others etc, etc.....

cleocat's Profile Photo
Apr 23, 2006

Walk the street in Kalk Bay

A VT friend Gerald suggested this as he knows I love Hermanus.
Thanks again Gerald. The shops are just so different from the ones in Cape town and the other areas. Real artistic shops with lots of different goodies from stunning clothes to glassware etc. A little bit of everything. My favourite was Cape to Cairo and Papagayo but they are all worth a visit. The shops are so nicely decorated and painted in vibrant colours. Also nice art galleries, a theatre and restaurants.

cleocat's Profile Photo
Apr 16, 2006

Top 5 Cape Town Writers

mvtouring's Profile Photo

CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

"Confessions of a Vaalie"
cokes's Profile Photo

paradisedreamer's Profile Photo

jo104's Profile Photo

"My Home town - Additions under construction"

Meandering through the Company´s Gardens

The Company´s Gardens are located in the heart of the City Bowl and offer a good opportunity to go for an afternoon stroll or have a picknick. We used this location to let Youri have his afternoon nap, while we used our lunch and -by turns- explored the shady lanes and many species of plants.

Alice-Kees's Profile Photo
Aug 06, 2003

In cape town are many things to see and do.
What you have to see is Table Mountain and Robben Island. At the time we were there, we could not go to the island due to the bad weather.
Also visit the V&A Waterfront, the Bo kaap, the different beaches and just stroll around in the streets. All around CT you find lots of attractions in which I will get back to in the other chapters.

johanl's Profile Photo
Dec 08, 2002

The Fleemarket at Green Point...

The Fleemarket at Green Point Stadium.
It´s huge and you can find any kind of craft work there, like statues, masks, paintings.
It´s wonderful, though definitely a lot of things are not from South Africa.
Take your time, stroll around, make sure you don´t spend all (!!) your money.

africanee's Profile Photo
Aug 26, 2002

Shopping at craft markets

Shopping at craft markets. The best one is the Green Square Market in front of Inter-Continental Hotel. We didn't take a picture there as we thought it's better not to take out our camera in such a crowded place.
This picture was taken at Red Shed Craft Workshop in V&A (right inside the main building - Victoria Wharf). Waterfront Craft Market, also in V&A, offers cheaper alternative, but closes much earlier at 18.00 (Red Shed closes at 21.00).
traditional African souvenirs, clothes, etc.

Aug 24, 2002

Things To Do in Cape Town

Table Mountain

Hi, Any one who visits South Africa should not miss going to Cape town. In fact I wanted to visit Johannesburg & return home. One member in VT strongly adviced me to visit Cape Town and I thank...
Things to do

Located on the slopes of Signal Hill, Bo-Kaap (meaning "Upper Cape") is the traditional Muslim quarter of Cape Town. The Cape Malay community started settling here after the emancipation of the 1830s....

Robben Island

Whether you are interested in history or not a trip to Robben Island is rewarding and eye opening. After you get off the boat, you take a 45 minute guided bus tour of the island with some very...

Lion's Head

Lion’s Head is one of the most distinctive natural monuments in and around Cape Town. It is part of the Table Mountain National Park and visible from many parts of the city. Together with Signal Hill...

Clifton Beach

Clifton Beach is made up of 4 coves and the beaches are called 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th. When the summer south-easter blows, the Clifton beaches are usually well sheltered from the wind. All of the...

Long Street

Long Street is a major street located in the City Bowl section of Cape Town. It is famous as a bohemian hang out and the street is lined with many book stores, various ethnic restaurants and bars....

Getting to Cape Town

We don't yet have an address for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!