Battambang General

Pothole
  • General

Most Recent General in Battambang

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

sometimes you have a choice

by richiecdisc Updated May 29, 2005

Favorite thing: Battambang would be worth a visit if even just for the French Colonial architecture and a visit to The White Rose restaurant, but there are lots of other reasons to head that way. It is one of the least spoiled tourist destinations I've come across with great opportunities to experience village life close to town. If you can't do that, enjoy the locals. They are a friendly lot and even the little kids making the begging rounds are worth corralling for a street side meal.

Fondest memory: There are some do’s and don’ts for the intrepid traveler, especially regarding how to treat beggars and in particular, children in admittedly bad circumstances trying to make a buck. Common sense should tell you giving kids candy would do little for their situation. Rotting teeth will only add to their calamities. Pencils and pens are now strewn across the Inca trail so well intended handouts do not always work much better than more thoughtless ones. So, what can you do? Simply ignoring them is one option though not always so easy and never much help for your conscience either. Sometimes, that is all you can do. But other times, you have a choice.
    (concluded below in Fondest Memory)

sandwich time, kids

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

cheaper to give them candy but....

by richiecdisc Written May 28, 2005

Fondest memory: One day in Battambang, four little ragamuffins that would make any needy children’s poster look tame besieged us. Typically, they wanted some candy. Hey, lots of other western tourists probably got them in the habit so who can blame them. I like free chocolate as much as the next person does. But with no candy on us and no desire to continue a bad trend, I was hard pressed for what I could do aside from throwing them some small change. The oldest of the batch spoke some English so I asked if they were hungry. Candy being a distant cousin of food, I figured it just might be the case. She answered affirmatively but most likely never imagined what I would do next. I motioned for them to follow me to a small sandwich stall I spotted just up the street. I ordered up four and brought them over to a bench to make sure they ate them. They dug in with full gusto. It would have been much cheaper to give them some coins, or even some candy but at least this way they got a real meal out of it and their smiles of contentment easily made up for the cost.

cheese sandwich

• Magnificent ruin temples

by janeitte Updated Jun 11, 2003

Favorite thing: Visiting most of the ruin temples that was in Battambang and basically enjoying my time there with families and friends ^_^

Fondest memory: hhmmm....going shopping almost everyday and eating all the nicest food there!yummmmmmm........

• edachsund's Profile Photo

road and runner

by edachsund Written Dec 30, 2002

Favorite thing: erm... ;-0 I will probably ask them to get move fast out from there. I donno.... I saw Battambang was just a small province and seems I dont really like it. Maybe, other people have a different opinion about Battambang but me, just say, naahh....

If I choosen to be guide for a friend who willing to discover what the city provide for tourist, I will definately bring them to a center of market, school where children having fun-as education used to be banned sometimes ago, and try their local meal....

road

• tabatha's Profile Photo

Confusing Place

by tabatha Updated Sep 25, 2002

Favorite thing: The ride on the motorbike to the temple is a brilliant overview of the countryside life of Cambodian people.

Fondest memory: The funniest compliment of my life, made by my guide:
    "you´re so beautiful because you´re so white and you have such a big noise !" WHAT ???

Instant Answers: Battambang

Comments

Battambang General

Reviews and photos of Battambang general posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Battambang sightseeing.