Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Kompong Phluk Village and Tonle Sap Lake Half-Day Tour From Siem Reap
"You will leave Siem Reap at 9am and travel southeast through small beautiful rural villages and rice fields towards the great Tonle Sap lake. Depending on the time of year and the current water levels you will go as far as you can by road before reaching where depending on the time of year you will either sail on through the main street of the village (when the water is high the roads become a river) or walk along it in the low water level season. Whichever way it is a great opportunity to see how the rural fishing villages work and people a large Pagoda and many stilted homes some towering as much as 9 meters high which are built this way to adapt to the changing water levels. It is a lovely and peaceful place to visit anytime of the year. This tour will give you the opportunity to see how a vast majority of Cambodians live as fishermen or farmers and give you an
From $38.00

Sunset Dinner on Tonle Sap Lake with a Floating Village Tour
"The tour will begin at 3:30pm when you will be picked up from your hotel or guesthouse in an air-conditioned vehicle. Your friendly and knowledgeable tour guides speak English (and Khmer of course) and they will ensure that you enjoy your tour pointing out areas of local interest along the way and answering any questions you may have. It takes about 20 minutes to reach the port of Chong Khneas. On route to your private floating restaurant in the heart of the floating village you will make three stops. First you will pass rice paddies and lotus fields and will have an opportunity to stop and take some photos of the lotus flowers which are a deeply important flower in Buddhism (please note: depending on the time of year the view of the lotus and rice fields w
From $36.00

Kompong Khleang Floating Village from Siem Reap
"You start the tour at 8am with your experienced local guide picking you up from your hotel.  You will then proceed up route #6 in an air-conditioned car or minivan to Kompong Khleang passing through local markets and villages and stopping to see some of the local industries. You will then proceed along the causeway to the edge of the great Tonle Sap lake.  From there you will transfer to a special river craft and enjoy a relaxing fascinating journey up the Khleang River. On the way you will pass stilted houses some of which are 10 metres high and will see locals going about their daily life. Eventually
From $72.00

Lake Tonle Sap Tips (22)

Strange but interesting

I had never seen before a village on the water, so for me that was quite new and a little bit strange. It creates a controversial impression, `cause on one hand it is quite interesting and even unique and the lake is very beautiful, but on the other hand people there are really poor, and this certainly upset me. But anyway this is the necessary part of Cambodia experience, so try not to miss it.

Christine511
Jan 27, 2016

cruising the great lake

somewhat of a surprise as i heard it was very tourisity,but the lake and flooded forrest is awesome and a highlight of our trip.we went with the recommended way in the lonely planets guide with the tara riverboat and opted for the full day tour including sunset,a guide picks you up from our guesthouse at 8am and heads directly to the lake ,stopped off at the environmental centre than onto the great lake,the actually cruise across the lake thats about 2 hours and than into small row boats/canoes into the flooded forrest,meals and drinks supplied free onboard the large riverboat,unlimited beers on the sunset was a nice way to finish off the day.

jamesdixons
Feb 26, 2011

Tonle Sap floating Village

We are there during dry season (Early Mar'09) and thus making the trip there even longer as what I was told. We booked our trip (US$14/pax) from Mandalay Inn after hard negotiation. Another way of going there is via tuk-tuk & thereafter buying the boat ticket from the centralised ticketing booth not far after the Pnom Krom Hill temple.

You can see lotsa floating houses, floating school, mosque, churches & even floating basket ball courts! along the narrow Siem riep river, & thereafter at the river mouth 9km away. from the inland terminal. During wet season (Apr-Oct) the lake expanded 9km inland!! & those river floating houses became lake houses!!

You will be brought to a restaurant cum souvenir & crocodile floating farm. The food is nice but pricey to South East asia standard!! US$4/plate of fried rice..That's horrible!!

Picture showing the terminal during Dry season overlooking Phnom Krom Hill temple (Yes need angkor Pass!)

stimix's Profile Photo
stimix
Apr 01, 2009

tonle sap cruise

just did this trip yesterday,we used a company called tara riverboats and for $20 they picked us up at our hotel,we meet the guide,we had our own personnel boat ,we toured the flooded forrest,floating village and visited the croc and fish farm had lunch and drinks supplied on the riverboat and back to hotel,tour lasts 4 hours,we rang aroung first and found this the best valve by far,,,website is www.taraboat.com

copperwire
Apr 06, 2008

Sponsored Listings

tonle sap tours

copperwire
Apr 06, 2008

Vietnamese Floating Village

A nice and interesting trip is a boattrip on the Tonle Sap Lake to visite a Vietnamese Floating Village. A small boat will bring you to that part of the lake and there you can have a look on all the originallly Vietnamese people living in wooden houses, whigh are floating on the water by means of many bambou trees.

Tedsocoa's Profile Photo
Tedsocoa
Mar 29, 2008

Cruise on Lake Tonle Sap

Its was a fun trip, and an eye opener to real cambodian lifestyle. This Cambodian Largest lake is the main source of water for centuries which also links to most temples and palaces during the Khmer empire.

A cruise on Tonle Sap Lake was a mix of emotion, watching cambodia children having fun on water, get to see floating houses and schools, hardwork fisherman, and several floating markets around the community. Journey out in the lake feels like cruise on the sea.

Click for How to get on board

daryll's Profile Photo
daryll
Mar 11, 2007

Chong Knea: Tonle Sap's floating world

The four of us arrived in Siem Reap on a Friday morning. After we had settled into our hotel, it was already too late to enter Angkor. On the recommendation of Lonely Planet Cambodia, we hired a cab (via Le Meridien Hotel) and arrived at the port for the floating village.
It's a new world to see. Tonle Sap hosts a myriad of water homes where its residences have built simple restaurants among the lilly pads, an elementary school with a caged basketball court attached, and a holy water church. My companions thought this was a spectacular part of Cambodia that cannot be missed.
However, if you have made plans to continue traveling to Battambang via slow boat, then I would suggest passing on this excursion for more temple exploration. The drowning forests and migrating birds are part of the six to eight hour journey.

Monster78's Profile Photo

dfactor

"Angkor What?"
ukirsari's Profile Photo

ukirsari

"Facing to the west and stairway to heaven"

Lake Tonle Sap II

Since this tourist village has got a platform one can get an impressive view over the entire lake. It was impossible to see the end and it appeared as a large sea right in the middle of Cambodia. For most of the year the lake is fairly small, around one meter deep and with an area of 2,700 square km. During the monsoon season, however, the Tonle Sap river which connects the lake with the Mekong river reverses its flow. Water is pushed up from the Mekong into the lake, increasing its area to 16,000 square km and its depth to up to nine meters, flooding nearby fields and forests. Hence the translated name Great Lake - an impressive site!!

Lake Tonle Sap

Where one would least expect it one finds it - a tourist village! Since I could not communicate with my "captain" I only realized where I was after he signalled to me that I could get off and have a look. This tourist village offers souvenirs, drinks and even light meals.

Fish Farm

Just on the outside of the floating village one can find a fish farm that bring in revenue as well as food for the local inhabitants. I tried to ask what fish these were - but between the Cambodian translation nothing sensible came out. If someone knows what fish is farmed here let me know :-)

Floating Village IV

This scene I thought for a moment that I was in Vietnam. Traders on little boats go from house to house to offer their goods. When I "spoke" to the boat owner he appeared to have said that a lot of Vietnamese came to this part of the world during the Vietnam war.

Things to Do Near Lake Tonle Sap

Angkor Wat

Angkor is the capital of the Khmer Empire from the ninth to the fifteenth centuries AD. It is the largest city in the world in the twelfth century AD and the tourist capital of Cambodia since ancient...

Sunset at Bakheng Hill

The Hill of Phnom Bakheng is the crowd magnet for the end of the day. After a tiring day of dodging the sun in leafy surrounding amongst crumbling temples now is the time go up a mile in order to face...

Angkor Thom

Visiting Siem Reap to Explore the Hindu ruin back to 12 century is quite amazing. I been there 5 times and each time, I so impressive as I have never been there before. My last trip was 14 to 17...

Ta Phrom

We got lucky, we arrived to Ta Phrom on the morning before all other tourists (they usually start from Angcor Watt), therefore, we were alone in jungle on the ruins of ancient temple listening to the...

Banteay Srei

Almost near the foot of Kulen Mountains, Bantaey Srei stands with its mix pink sandtone and wood temples with exquisite decorative carvings which have miniature resemblance of other Angkor Temples....

Sunrise at Angkor Wat

My experience on my first visit wasn't the best. In part this was due to a late start and not knowing how many people would actually be here. This year I arrived early, had a clear sky and no wind....

Getting to Lake Tonle Sap

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!

Map