Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Private Custom Tour: Beijing in One Day
"In Beijing there are must-see destinations cultural and historical landmarks. Then there are those special activities and local attractions that you've read about and put on your list to do. No tour itinerary can cover exactly what you want to see in Beijing until now. Let us help you create your own personalized day in Beijing using public transport with a professional guide and interpreter. If you want to visit the Forbidden City and take in a show with world famous Chinese acrobats we can arrange it. Care to climb the steps of the Great Wall by day and have an authentic Peking Duck dinner in the evening? Well make it happen. Always wanted to tour the Hutongs by pedicab then visit the exquisite Lama Temple? Well put them both on you helping you bargain for the best prices on jewelry handcrafts
From $16.00

Beijing Your Way: Private Independent Tour with Optional Guide
"After pickup from your hotel travel by comfortable private vehicle to the city’s historic sites and visit local attractions. If you’re touring independently use your suggested itinerary and tell your driver where you’d like to go. Be sure to confirm your custom itinerary with the tour operator prior to your arrival in Beijing; that way they can carefully plan your independent excursion for you.A half-day independent tour takes you to top destinations within Beijing. Visit the Forbidden City and Summer Palace or explore the hutongs (alleyways) by pedicab. If you’ve selected a full-day independent tour you can also drive beyond the city to climb the steps of the Great Wall which offers sweeping views from above.Full- or Half-Day Guided Tour UpgradeGo more in depth with interesting commentary from a knowledgeable guide who helps you customize your tour. Your personal guide can take you where the locals shop
From $150.00

Backstreet Beijing Walking Tour
"Head to the Red Building of old Peking University from where the University students went out to Tian'anmen Square for demonstrations and initiated the famous 5.4 Movement. Then you will stroll along the old cultural Wusi & Wenjin Street one of the most beautiful street of Beijing We pass the corner tower of forbidden city wall and moat a bridge divided Beihai Park and Zhongnanhai Lakes till arriving at the old palaces of Beijing library one of the five biggest libraries in the world. It is a spectacular palace courtyard with historical stone lions and pillars moved from the ""old Summer Palace"".After that visit the Northern Cathedral
From $75.00

Great Wall of China - Badaling Tips (112)

Badaling

In our way to Badaling we passed in another segment of the wall, with an interesting look - I think it was Nankou.

Our guide took us further, to Badaling, I don't know exactly why. Maybe because the walls were not so steep (I noticed it), maybe because parking should be easier (didn't seem so), maybe because the sight of the wall is wider (it was), maybe because the commercial structures are more developed.

We were approached by lots of vendors, but being in a group allowed me to escape "harmless". Well, almost - a couple of tee-shirts, and... i don't remember - the walls were waiting us!

solopes's Profile Photo
solopes
Mar 19, 2016

The most visited

Most of the ten thousand kilometres of the wall is ruined, and the visits are concentrated in only three easily accessed points. Badaling is the most visited (maybe for being so close to Beijing, maybe for being the most scenic of them).

With the thousands of people coming each day, soon they will have to open other segments to the public. But this small part of the whole is perfect to give us a correct idea of the complexity of the construction, and the hard job it was to spread it upon those mountains and valleys.

solopes's Profile Photo
solopes
Mar 19, 2016

Winter Wonderful place worth once in a lifetime!

We (Husband, 10 year old son and I) planned to visit China for a very long time with a sole goal to see the great wall of china.

We finally managed this feat on Dec 26 2015 in peak winter. We planned to use the bus 919/877 and reached the bus station early (8am) in the morning to beat traffic. However as luck would have it, due to the snow the previous night, there were no buses plying to the bus station.
Due to the reviews received, we didn't believe any of the drivers there and waited for more than 45 min for a bus to come. With no luck, we negotiated (ahem.. separate story on negotiation in China) to 350 RMB (drop back in the bus stand) to a driver. He wanted us to take 2 more passengers and after we decided to do a walkout, he reluctantly agreed to take us @ 350. We found that 400 is the flat rate and our hotel was giving us @ 850.

Having a good level of winter clothes, we were off to a good start. At least so we thought. We reached the great wall of china in 45 min admiring the scenic route.

Due to the extreme weather in Badaling, our clothes were completely insufficient. Biggest lesson we learnt was to have multiple layers of gloves, thermals and thicker socks. After we did a bit of shopping right at the entrance, we started climbing up the stairs. At the outset, we realised that the steps were very steep and kept our son in the middle and both of us acted as a bridge for him in case our son finds it difficult to climb up.

Every step of the way, great wall was truly awe-inspiring and was extremely beautiful. It was true to our imagination. What made it even more thrilling was the climb down with snow almost becoming ice.
At the highest point of Badaling range in the north side, we had very few people during the day and ample hot drinks through the time. So there is no need to carry anything with you outside of a great camera.
Due to winter, the winches were not operational and it took us nearly 3 hours for the climb up and down. We saw a few people treading to the next passage. I was not ambitious to walk longer :)

This place was truly satisfying and wondered how the Qin dynasty folks built it in the midst of so many mountains, snow and hilly terrain and that too for 3500 km.
Hats off to them and also for the govt to have well maintained / reconstructed for tourists to visit this place.

gaya3k's Profile Photo
gaya3k
Jan 24, 2016

Badaling or Simatai?

I tryed to go to Badaling using a official bus, but I didn't get the information on time. Lonely Planet guide has the accurate information!
On May 2006, I went to Badaling on a day trip from Qianmen Square. I have found a bus with a local guide for 50 CNY return ticket.
I must say I didn't like the trip because I was expecting to spend a day on the wall. During our trip, we stopped in several places, including the Ming's Tombs, and we arrived at the wall around 4:45 p.m. We had to return to Beijing at 06:00 p.m.
Entrance to the Wall: 45 CNY
Fixed cable car to the Wall: 60 CNY [possibility in one entrance]
I suggest you to go to Simatai, located 110km north east of Beijing.

Avieira67's Profile Photo
Avieira67
Jul 07, 2015

Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near Beijing

Hotels
No.103 West Street, Di'anmen, Xicheng District, Beijing, Beijing Region, 100009, China
Hotels
No.57 Dianmen West Main Street, Xicheng District, Beijing, Beijing Region, 100009, China
Hotels
No.57 Nianzi Hutong, Jingshanhoujie, Dongcheng District, Beijing, Beijing Region, 100009, China
38 West St, Di an men, Beijing, Beijing, 100035, China
No.13 Building No.31 Yard, Xishenku Avenue, Xicheng District, 100034
No.68 Sanyanjing Alley, Jingshan East Street, 100009

Great wall of china

THIS is one of the amazing place i visited ,if u want to see this place u need to wake up early in the morning ..!!! u need to be ready with ur energy around it will take u tole while climpling up u need proper shoes ,trust me it will be crowed u will find lot inclind walk and decling walk, dnt go went it is raining it seroius dangerous of sliping down becareful when raining around my advise u dnt go great wall of china when it is raining it is serious bussness.

LakshyaR's Profile Photo
LakshyaR
Nov 17, 2014

A Collection of Beijing’s Great Wall Sections

1. Badaling Great Wall

Badaling Great Wall is located in Yanqing County, 116º 35´ east longitude and 40º 25´ north latitude, 60 kilometers to the northwest of downtown Beijing. To date, this 3,741-meter section of the Badaling Great Wall has been open to tourists, comprising of 21 city units and enemy units. Badaling Great Wall was built along the ridges of mountains, looking precipitous from the external wall but gently sloped from the internal wall. It is a year-round travel destination. Mr. Zhao Puchu, a famous poet, calligrapher and president of the Chinese Buddhists Association, unveiled the miraculous scene of Badaling Great Wall in all seasons: “We are impressed with the spectacular scenes of Great Wall, as beautiful as pictures. The centuries-old Great Wall has always been so charming in all ages. It is best loved in spring days of blossoming flowers, summer days of green trees, autumn days of sea of red leaves, and winter days of white snows. Looking into the distance, the Great Wall gives expression of infinite passions of old and new.”

Admission: Children/Seniors

Opening Hours: Apr. 1st to Oct. 3rd: 45 yuan; Nov. 1st to Mar. 31st: 40 yuan

Phone: 010-69121306

Address: In the southwestern part of Yanqing County, Beijing

Read more of the article, please click on http://english.visitbeijing.com.cn/tip/n214966194.shtml

ampraxu1's Profile Photo
ampraxu1
Feb 19, 2014

Shuiguan Great Wall

Shuiguan Great Wall is also called Water Pass Great Wall, located 1.24 miles away from the Badaling Great Wall in Yanqing County. This section of the Great Wall was erected during the Ming Dynasty in ancient China. It is the most complete and strongest section of the ten thousand li Great Wall and famous for its precipitous cliffs.

Read more from http://english.visitbeijing.com.cn/thingstodo/routes-strategy/sightseeing-themes/eco-travel/n214965664.shtml

ampraxu1's Profile Photo
ampraxu1
Feb 18, 2014

I climbed the Great Wall with my family!

After visiting and climbing the Great Wall many years ago as a single person with my journalist mates, I promised myself I shall bring my family of four her too.

I kept my promise and the second time around, I was with my loving family and it was a blast.

I booked a privately escorted tour for my family after our cruise on Diamond Princess which ended up in Tianjin port which is a bit far from Beijing so that we could have a reliable transfer and proper tour of the city.

Luckily, it was a great tour company I chose which sent us a very reliable tour guide. Climbing the wall this time was a bit hard, the weather was warmer, sun was stinking hot and there were more people than I expected and compared to my first, this trip was really a bit tiring but fun. Also, the one I climbed before was at the other less popular one and farther.
Climbing was lovelier the second time around!

So we still had a blast climbing the wall, without bumping into lots of people!

Shopping was also great here but you need to really haggle. Make sure you shop around before buying at the wall. It is usually cheaper at the city centre but if you have no time, it's fine, the prices are still good anyway. But if you are on a budget, do shop around, even souvenirs are sold at restaurants in Beijing and much cheaper we found! We had our main meals included in our tour including hotels ( two rooms for the four of us) at $1,000 US Dollars including the private van, driver, entrance fees to the tourist spots and lunch and dinners for 2 nights and three days.

Badaling Great Wall is the site of the most visited section of the Great Wall partly because it is close to Beijing city and connected with tgje urban area by expressway.

According to the Great Wall website for Badaling:

This section of the wall is the first section opened to tourists (in 1957) after reconstructed. Badaling Great Wall shows the Great Wall as it would have looked originally, and it does not look too new. That is another reason of why most travelers choose Badaling Great Wall.

There is a Great Wall Museum and Great Wall National Theater close to Badaling Great Wall. The theater offers you a chance to get a full view of the Great Wall of China.

I shall write another review for that part of our tour. But it is still as marvelous as before, the Great Wall is indeed a memorable place, I had more time examining the wall and the artefacts being displayed there compared to the first time I climbed it.

Indeed, it is lovelier the second time around! Especially as I had my lovely family with me!

AusPinay's Profile Photo

blueskyjohn

"Beijing"
SLLiew's Profile Photo

SLLiew

"Beijing - Imperial Peking"
nepalgoods's Profile Photo

nepalgoods

"My wonderful Beijing"
filipdebont's Profile Photo

filipdebont

"Beijing: from the Forbidden City to the Great Wall"

The Great Wall.

We booked a day trip to the Great Wall - Badaling Section - after our arrival in Beijing. It was a superb trip and I would heartily recommend it. I would say visiting the Great Wall was one of the travel highlights of my life. The wall is just so world famous and it is so far away and exotic. I found it hard to believe I was actually there.

The building of the Great Wall started in around the 3rd century BC and continued to the 17th century AD. It was built as a defensive structure and is more than 20,000 kilometers long. The Great Wall begins in the east at Shanhaiguan in Hebei province and ends at Jiayuguan in Gansu province to the west. It is made up of walls, horse tracks, watch towers, shelters and fortresses.

The trip also went to the Ming Tombs - nothing special and a Chinese medicine centre - Interesting. They asked for volunteers to have an electrical current passed through their body. All the Chinese people on our tour volunteered; not a single white person did. Cultural difference perhaps!!!

IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
IreneMcKay
Jul 10, 2013

UNESCO SITE: Great Wall at Badaling

We went to The Great Wall at Badaling with Beijing Hub of Tour Dispatch. The trip was quite rushing, as we visited the Waxwork Palace as well. We arrived at the Great Wall around 2pm, we had only about three hours to walk around and enjoy the views. It was very crowded with tourists. We took the cable car cost Y60 return, not included in the tour package. The view was stunning. We started to walk around the wall. There were steep steps, not easy as we thought. It was a long wall surrounded by mountains.

Tour Package Cost: Y100 (including transportation, lunch, entrance fee to the Great Wall).

Government Run Tour Company:
Beijing Hub of Tour Dispatch (北京旅游集散中心), these are their stations:

1) The southwest corner of the Tiananmen Square
2) The southeast corner of the Tiananmen Square
3) The northeast corner of Xuanwumen Crossroads

cal6060's Profile Photo
cal6060
Aug 01, 2012

Far and out of the way, but it's worth it!

Great part of the Great Wall to visit. It's not in Beijing central so it will take an hour or more to get there by car. There are plenty of photo opportunities from high up. They have cable cars that take you to a higher altitude, but you can walk too. Great exercise and fresh air which is hard to come by in Beijing.

mingomatic's Profile Photo
mingomatic
Dec 29, 2011

Beijing Shisanling Waxworks Palace of Ming Dynasty

We did not expect to visit this place, but the tour to the Great Wall at Badaling had to stop here. I thought to have good use of the time, we visited this Waxworks Palace. Anyway, I did not like to waste time here as shorten our time visiting the great Wall.

Overall, This Waxworks Palace was quite nice to visit. It displayed the people of Ming Dynasty with a flow of history events. Due to limited time, we could not learn the story fast enough. There was a lady tour guide who speaks Mandarin explaining the scenes of each waxwork. She spoke too fast, I could not catch and pay attention to here. If I did pay attention to her stories, I wouldn't be able to appreciate the art of the waxworks in Ming Dynasty Costumes.

They were cheesy to charge visitors Y10 to use own camera to take photos of those waxworks.

Opening Hours: Summer: 7am-5pm
Winter : 8am-4:30pm.

Admission: Y40 ( not included in Great Wall tour package)

In Chinese: 十三陵明皇蜡像宫

cal6060's Profile Photo
cal6060
Dec 13, 2011

Things to Do Near Beijing

Beihai Park

a tibetan Buddhist stupa in the Tibetan buddhist temple in Qiuongha Island in Behai Park called the Dagoba by Tibetans and Bai Tai by Han Chinese, built by Qing Emperor Shunzhi in 1751, made the Behai...

Church of the Saviour - North Church - XiShiKu Church

Not too sure about the spelling there, but it should come out to something like that. This church, a little bit west of Beihai Park, is one of the most beautiful in Beijing. During certain times, you...

Jingshan Park

Jingshan Park is directly north of Forbidden Palace. Most people visit the park in early mornings and day time. However, i recommend taking some time to visit the park in the evening as well. A lot...

Forbidden City - The Palace Museum

A very serious advice: Pay attention to every detail of the explanation done by your guide (person or book), during the visit: that way you will find out that "peace and harmony" is the dominant...

Back Lakes - Hou Hai

Shichahai is comprised of three lakes, Qianhai, Houhai and Xihai. Situated just above Beihai Park, there are many restaurants and bars along a quiet roads that run around the lake. Along the lake you...

Nanluoguxiang

This is the street and area to stay if you are on a budget in Beijing. I liked the street, it is located in an old area of Beijing. You have everything there, hostels at affordable prices in...

Getting to Beijing

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!

Map