Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Teahouses Tips (18)

Laoshe Tea House

This is the largest teahouse in Beijing. There is three levels and this is not only a tea house but it is also an opera and performance hall with regular shows. Unfortunately these shows are all in Chinese as well as there website. The second floor of is very big with a section dedicated as a museum of tea and the back side is a high end store with many expensive Yi Xing teapots for sale.

Each floor is very large amount of space for a tea house. Considering the location is so close to Tienanmen Square and Qianmen Street, one would think there would more emphasis on foreign tourism but it is not.

I wanted to experience it as a pure tea house but the choices are an expensive private area on the second floor or a public open area on the first floor. I was pressed for time so opted for the latter. We ordered a green tea and an herbal tea. A cup of tea is 20 RMB. This is expensive, especially for the quality I received.

This is a fancy place, nicely decorated but it is not great for a true tea house experience as it related to tea lovers. This may be a traditional way of serving tea or may be not. I d id not like that the tea was served in a gaiwan with no top and no vessel to pour the tea into after steeping. This means the tea will not have a consistent taste as it will continually get stronger while you sip you tea.

Hours:
Saturday 10:00 am – 10:00 pm
Sunday 10:00 am – 10:00 pm

Oct 23, 2015

Dashilar Tea House

Dashilar Tea House is owned and part of Zhangyiyuan Tea Company. While Zhangyiyuan has over 100 locations in Beijing alone, only one has a tea house. The tea house is located on the second floor overlooking Dashilan. It is a modern interior with lots of natural light. You can only order tea that is should by Zhangyiyuan, specifically Jasmine Tea. There is not a large selection of tea but there are different varieties and qualities of Jasmine Tea.

We ordered two different Jasmine Teas. They were both very good. One cost 35 RMB and the other was 45 RMB. It is a nice way to sample the tea if you are not sure which you would like to purchase to take home.

However, I would not go here for a relaxing cup of tea. It is geared more to the sale of the tea sold in the shop on the first floor.

Sep 20, 2015

Prince Kung'Tea House

After enter the Prince Kung Mansion there is a tea through a gate on the left. The gate enters a courtyard and the tea house is on the right. This is a nicely decorated tea house but small. It's not well advertised and when I went no one was there. There is a menu on a stand outside in both Chinese and English. The attendants speak little English but it is easy enough to order.

I ordered a Jasmine Tea, which is typically the tea of choice for most Beijing residents. Unfortunately the tea was served in a Gaiwan, usually used for steeping and then poured into a small tea cup. I stayed long enough for two cups. The tea was 20 RMB which includes refills of water.

The tea was good and if your in the mood for tea while visiting the mansion, it's the only option but a decent one. As far as tea houses go, you wouldn't miss anything if passing this one up.

Sep 07, 2015

Cha Jia Fu Tea House

Also known as Family Fu's Tea House, this establishment is located in Hou Hai Park at the northwest corner of the lake. It is a little tricky to find as there is a lot of signage on a building near the lake implying that is the Tea House. However the tea house is in the Xicheng Fitness Trail area.

I was there around lunch time. At first glance when entering, it is a very nice place. The tea house is on the second floor and we were led there by staff who handed us a menu of teas when seated. However, the entire menu is in Chinese. I expect that of course while in China but the tea house is in a very touristy area, albeit, out of the way from the main tourist area. Surprisingly, they do not have a menu in English or with English subtext as I have seen at every other tea house I have been at.

The place is definitely a little run down but has great potential. I saw a review for this location that said the owner, Mrs. Fu, speaks very good English and often she practices calligraphy and gives it to patrons. This may be an old review (no date, possibly shilling) because I saw no evidence anyone speaks English.

We left without having tea unfortunately because the staff was not very attentive and it was a bit dingy.

Sep 06, 2015

Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near Teahouses

Hotels
No.103 West Street, Di'anmen, Xicheng District, Beijing, Beijing Region, 100009, China
Hotels
No.57 Dianmen West Main Street, Xicheng District, Beijing, Beijing Region, 100009, China
Hotels
No.57 Nianzi Hutong, Jingshanhoujie, Dongcheng District, Beijing, Beijing Region, 100009, China
38 West St, Di an men, Beijing, Beijing, 100035, China
No.13 Building No.31 Yard, Xishenku Avenue, Xicheng District, 100034
No.68 Sanyanjing Alley, Jingshan East Street, 100009

Alice's Tea House

This is one difficult tea house to find. But it was part of the experience for me as I wandered around a Hutong looking for Alice's. Alice's is a small tea house with one or two tables. She caters more to tourist that are brought to her shop by guides. She rarely gets walk-ins like me. She also teaches cooking classes and has a small retail area.

Most important, Alice speaks very good English so if you can't find her shop, simply call like we did and she will give very good directions. She is also very knowledgeable in the art of tea. We sat with Alice for nearly an hour drinking some Jasmine Tea first, then switching to some Oolong Tea.

I spent some time looking at the Yixing tea pots Alice had for sale. She also has great knowledge here as well. From what she told me and from my own knowledge, I selected a nice tea pot to buy. Her prices are also very good. For the tea it was only 20 RMB per person per tea. This was for unlimited refills. She would have served us all afternoon. A very nice experience!

Aug 30, 2015

Oriental Zen Tea

This is a small tea house associated with Grandma's Private Home Cuisine. The owner's name is Jacky Li. He has a very interesting story. He was an advertising executive who is famous in that area some time ago when he became ill and decided to leave it all behind for a live of art, meditation and drinking tea for its health benefits.

During this time he came across a tea that did wonders for his illness. He decided to share this with the world and created Oriental Zen Tea Company. I spent several hours talking with him and drinking different tea be prepared for me with no pressure to purchase any. His design and art work for the packaging is beautiful. The tea itself is excellent. It is all organic and he only offers black, green or white tea.

This was one of the more memorable experiences of this trip. I wish Jacky good luck and fortune with his company. They will have a website soon and when I get it I will update this tip.

Tang Ren Cha Dao Tea House

I love tea. Green, Oolong, Longjing, you name it, I'll try it. So while walking around Qian Hai and Hou Hai I saw this very nice tea house overlooking Qian Hai. It has great decor and friendly staff. I took a seat at a table in front of a window. They have an extensive tea menu. It is on the expensive side though. My first visit I ordered Jasmine tea. They have different varieties and of course vary in price. I chose something in the mid price range. The tea was very good and you can sit as long as you like. Each table has a teapot and heater so you can continue to replenish your teapot that has the tea leaves in it. I sat there nearly two hours relaxing and watching the view.

During this visit I saw a couple order a tea that included a tea ceremony. Before I left I asked about this ceremony and I was told that it is offered when ordering a pot of tea.

So my second visit, I ordered a pot of Longjing. The pot came out but no ceremony. When I asked the wait staff said it was only for Oolong tea. Just a note that the pot of tea is expensive. However, you do get a container of the tea you order. It is a lot of tea but still expensive.

My third visit was the charm. I ordered the Ginseng Oolong tea. My attendant preformed a beautiful ceremony and the tea was awesome. More background on the Tea Ceremony here.

They have surprisingly long hours:
Hours:

Friday 9:30 am – 2:00 am
Saturday 9:30 am – 2:00 am
Sunday 9:30 am – 2:00 am

Confucius Tea House

This was an extraordinary experience. I was short on time and could not go when they open at 12pm. They were nice enough to open early to accommodate me. I opted for a tea lesson of sorts and I was fortunate to have this done by the owner, TaoTao. She is extremely knowledgeable and I learned so much from her. Her offerings for the day were a black green and blue tea.

Confucius Tea House also have their own blend of tea which is one of the best I had on the trip. Fortunately they also sell the tea they serve and at a good price. This is definitely the place to go for a relaxing afternoon and to learn about tea.

It is located across from Confucius Temple museum and makes for an amazing full day of visiting the temple as well as Lama Temple only a five minute walk away.

They will be offering classes on tea and tea ceremony. It will be seven classes. They may also be online. I hope to do this!

"The Northern Capital"
"Beijing"
SLLiew's Profile Photo
"Beijing - Imperial Peking"
nepalgoods's Profile Photo
"My wonderful Beijing"
filipdebont's Profile Photo
"Beijing: from the Forbidden City to the Great Wall"

Typical Beijing Tea Houses

As We all know, tea was invented in china in the ancient times when a chinese emperor has hot water taken of which tea leaves fell and when he tasted the brew, it became popular! we all know that this was a state secret of imperial china and that a british zoologist smuggled tea leaves to india and sri lanka in the 17th century, the rest is history!

Chinese tea is still the best and the most original. In chinese tea houses they serve different kind of tea like oolong, green tea, chrysanthemum tea, infused fruit tea, red tea, the most expensive P'uer Tea and others. price is about 5 RMB to 12 RMB a cup. They also sell packed tea leaves and earthern and ceramic tea pots and cup which ranges from 100 RMB to 500 RMB.

see my videos

machomikemd's Profile Photo
machomikemd
Oct 16, 2014

Chinese Tea Drinking Traditions

Serving Tea: In China, serving tea from the host to his guest has lasted for over 1,000 years. While serving the tea, the host should extend his hands to hold the cup to show respect to his guest. Those who are dainty usually will put the cup onto a saucer or tea-tray, and, when offering the tea, they will use two hands to hold the saucer or tea-board before the chest while saying softly “Enjoy your tea”. The guest, at the same time, should slightly move his body forward and express gratitude.

Covering Cup to Thank the Host: It is a convention for the host to serve tea and add water for the guest. If the guest has drunk his fill and wants to leave, he will usually flatly spread out his right hand with the centre of the palm downwards onto the tea cup, indicating, “Thank you. I don’t need more tea.

Substituting Tea For wine: The tradition of substituting tea for wine has existed for more than 2000 years in China. In the Zhou Dynasty, a prohibition was decreed by Emperor Wuwang, who knew that the Shang Dynasty was just defeated due to alcoholic addiction and corruption. So people began to offer tea to the emperor, while the noble and common people substituted tea for wine too. The custom has come down until today.

Tea after or before Dinner: To clean the mouth and get up the appetite, people usually drink clear, sweet, mild green tea or scented tea before dinner. A short rest should be taken before drinking tea after dinner. Sweet, greasy-removed tea like oolong and Puer tea is preferred after dinner.

Read more from http://english.visitbeijing.com.cn/play/culture/n214964055.shtml

ampraxu1's Profile Photo
ampraxu1
Feb 13, 2014

Visiting an authentic Chinese Tea House

This was one of our highlights but I am sorry to say that I can't remember the name of the place we went to. We learnt how to brew and drink various Chinese teas and out of 5 samples, I found the Black Dragon tea to my taste. The most fascinating one was the lotus pod that blooms into a flower when emersed in hot water - one can drink the tea, then keep the flower in water for a few days for decorative purposes.

I will say that we found it much cheaper to buy the tea at markets/ local superettes rather than at the Tea House because their mark up was quite incredible!

I'm sure with research and advice from your hotel manager, you can find one. There are many of these in Beijing.

Martialsk's Profile Photo
Martialsk
Apr 02, 2012

New China Cuisine

If you are traveling to Beijing and want to combine both the traditional and new China, you cannot miss going to the Green Tea House Restaurant. Although I like the red lanterns and old architecture, this restaurant has a atmosphere unique for Beijing. Everything is presented in a way that will surprise you for being in China and they also have an extensive wine list and can say nothing bad about their service. I know this sounds like an ad, but I really had to pass on my thoughts because it is so different. By the way I have been in Beijing for almost 3 years.
Enjoy

Tw921
Apr 04, 2011

Things To Do Near Teahouses

Things to do
a tibetan Buddhist stupa in the Tibetan buddhist temple in Qiuongha Island in Behai Park called the Dagoba by Tibetans and Bai Tai by Han Chinese, built by Qing Emperor Shunzhi in 1751, made the Behai...
Things to do
Not too sure about the spelling there, but it should come out to something like that. This church, a little bit west of Beihai Park, is one of the most beautiful in Beijing. During certain times, you...
Things to do
Jingshan Park is directly north of Forbidden Palace. Most people visit the park in early mornings and day time. However, i recommend taking some time to visit the park in the evening as well. A lot...
Things to do
A very serious advice: Pay attention to every detail of the explanation done by your guide (person or book), during the visit: that way you will find out that "peace and harmony" is the dominant...
Things to do
Shichahai is comprised of three lakes, Qianhai, Houhai and Xihai. Situated just above Beihai Park, there are many restaurants and bars along a quiet roads that run around the lake. Along the lake you...
Things to do
This is the street and area to stay if you are on a budget in Beijing. I liked the street, it is located in an old area of Beijing. You have everything there, hostels at affordable prices in...

Getting to Teahouses

Address

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!

Map