Map &

Rate it

Top Tours

Private Custom City Sightseeing and Shopping Tour of Beijing
From $48.00
Private Tour: Panda House Visit And Cruise To The Summer Palace With Imperial Dinner
From $118.00
Beijing Private Culture Experience With Lunch Inclusive
From $118.00

Rickshaw Tips (13)

Hou Hai Rickshaws

All around Hou Hai and Qian Hai are Rickshaws willing to take you around the lake. Most are selling a Hutong Tour. The rickshaw is a bicycle with a carriage that hold two, some may hold four but those are little more difficult to find. If you are hiring one for a Hutong tour, the cost is $40 per hour but like most things, this is negotiable. You should keep in mind this tour is through the alley ways of the Hutongs. You do not enter any houses. I believe there is one that some of the drivers have an arrangement to briefly walk in one but there is no guarantee.

You can also hire them just for a pleasant ride around the lakes. The can be a little aggressive but through all my experiences, they are good hearted. Most speak English, at least enough to get you into the rickshaw. I prefer to walk because I enjoy the exercise. I am constantly having to tell them no. As I mentioned than can be aggressive and I like to joke with them when they don't let up after the first 2 or 3 No's. This last trip I explained to one rickshaw driver that I like to walk for the exercise. He said I can peddle the bike and take him for a ride around the lake. Of course, I told him, He would have to pay me! He said "How Much!" I quoted 50 RMB and he accepted! I should have taken him up on it for fun.

blueskyjohn's Profile Photo
Sep 07, 2015

Modern Rickshaw, the Chinese Tricycle

chinese version of the Tricycle, similar to the Tuk Tuks of Thailand and Tricycles of Philippines and Cyclo of Vietnam. cost 20 RMB a short ride of 3 kilometers and 5 rmb per kilometer afterwards. a real novelty here in beijing and is used mostly for delivering small supplies to small shops around the city of Beijing hence you can see this a lot in beijing.

machomikemd's Profile Photo
May 24, 2009

A pedales / With pedals

En las zonas de los huton el transporte en "rickshaw" te permite ver esa parte de China con otra perspectiva de la que tienes desde los coches y autobuses .
Al ser todo muy llano no requiere gran esfuerzo del conductor

In the huton areas the rickshaw alouds you to see This part of china with a different perspective than the one you have from the cars or the buses
As all is very flat , the driver musn´t do a great effort

elpariente's Profile Photo
Mar 21, 2008

Let's travel by rickshaw!

I love Beijing, I love the old Beijing!

I don’t know why but in recent years rickshaws have gained an amazing positive comeback.

Rickshaws nowadays are practically confined to the tourist areas, you will seldom see a local Chinese traveling by rickshaw in Beijing.

If you go wandering by certain hutongs in Beijing you will see a lot of rickshaws transporting tourists. In fact, taking the hutong tour by rickshaw is nowadays one of the most popular ways for tourists to get a little bit of the flavor, artificially though, of life in old Beijing.

It is true that taking a rickshaw is a little bit more expensive than taking a taxi but just think of the romantic side of it.

Besides, if nobody takes the rickshaws who is going to support the drivers, who is going to support the activity?

We want the rickshaws well alive (we must protect this old medium of transportation) as well as the hundreds and hundreds of Beijing hutongs that have survived so far.

ntm2322's Profile Photo
Nov 08, 2007
Sponsored Listings

Hotels in Beijing

No.103 West Street, Di'anmen, Xicheng District, Beijing, Beijing Region, 100009, China
No.57 Dianmen West Main Street, Xicheng District, Beijing, Beijing Region, 100009, China
No.57 Nianzi Hutong, Jingshanhoujie, Dongcheng District, Beijing, Beijing Region, 100009, China
38 West St, Di an men, Beijing, Beijing, 100035, China
No.13 Building No.31 Yard, Xishenku Avenue, Xicheng District, 100034
No.68 Sanyanjing Alley, Jingshan East Street, 100009

Human Powered Transport on a Rickshaw

A ride on a rickshaw is a great way to experience the city of Beijing. Even the famous Americans Brad Pitt and Angelina Joli agree that this is a cool thing to do when visiting Asian countries. The guy who cycled me around had the most powerful legs I have ever seen on a Chinese man. I was surpised on how easily he went up hills and through traffic. He cycled me around the city and I got to see parts of the city I would not have gotten to see by just walking around my hotel. I made sure to tip him high.

RawdgerDodger's Profile Photo
Oct 10, 2006

Let someone drag you around

Not that it's any good way of getting around. It's just different. Being dragged around in a two seated sofa tied to a bicycle is just not usual for a westerner. If you cannot find anyone around hotels or tianamen square you'll probably find them between the bell tower and the drum tower, or better yet: take out a map and let them find you.

jonkb's Profile Photo
Jul 03, 2006

Rickshaw - they will find you!

All around tourist places in Beijing there will be rickshaw drivers wanting to take you for hutong tours and other sights. There is both the moped ones, like in the picture, and the classic bicycle style.

I am sure it can be a great experience and it looked like great fun, but they were so persistent and many were accually worse than the hawkers selling goods so I became irritated and just decided not to take any rides from them.

The hutongs we saw on foot instead and for transportation we went with taxis.
But as I said, I'm sure it can be well worth the time and money if you find a good driver.

MickeH's Profile Photo
Sep 21, 2005

Chinese Tuk Tuk

Im not really sure what its called. But it looks like a tuk-tuk in Thailand so I'll just name it this way. Anyway, riding a Chinese tuk-tuk can be another transportation experience you can get from being in Beijing. Not sure about the price, didnt get on one. But suppose you should bargain since there is no meter.

Arjaree's Profile Photo
Oct 23, 2004

"The Northern Capital"
blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

SLLiew's Profile Photo

"Beijing - Imperial Peking"
nepalgoods's Profile Photo

"My wonderful Beijing"
filipdebont's Profile Photo

"Beijing: from the Forbidden City to the Great Wall"

Old Style of Transportation

If you want to do it an old Chinese style, then get a rickshaw. You will see it around the city., specially around hutongs. To make sure you get to where you want, have a name of the place written in Chinese.

Arjaree's Profile Photo
Oct 23, 2004

Lets play, Rikshaw Roulette

I'm not going to criticise the *hugely* popular Rikshaw industry, by saying that their riders are unreliable or rude.....but in reality they are not all angels either!!

A couple of times i was in a hurry to get somewhere, and without my trusty bicycle to cover the large open distances of central Beijing, i seeked the aid of nearby Rikshaw riders. Here starts a twisted game of Rikshaw Roulette.......

On the whole they are good, but i seemed great at locating the dodgy ones, and the fact i was in a rush did not seem to cross their minds, as they desperately haggled for some ridiculous price to cross the minutist of distances.....

They are an 'interesting' alternative to walking, and it can be an amusing but bumpy ride!! But just a word of warning, dont be held to ransome by the few riders, who bank on the fact that your another rich western tourist who is prepared to simply throw money away..... TRY ONE!!!

jono84's Profile Photo
Aug 16, 2004

When you hear the...

When you hear the word rickshaw, you may think of the two-wheeled bicycles guys with long braids that you see in old movies. But today, rickshaws are actually three-wheeled bicycles often driven by old, retired men. There are fleets of them circling around the Tian'anmen Square area, and they are always willing to take passengers. It is nice to take a ride around the Square in the evening, but if you do, make sure you come to a price agreement first. There are many con-men out there, and you have to be firm and clear about your price. There is no set fee for a ride, so you just have to decide how much you are willing to spend, and work with that. They usually ask for about 30 to 50 yuan.

The other are to take rickshaw rides is by the north gate of Beihai Park. This is the hutong ( alleyway) tour, in which you will by full 200 meters west, and when you see a long line of rickshaw that are identical, you are there.

Chris_Dahlia's Profile Photo
Aug 24, 2002

Rickshaw in Beijing

The bicycle taxi, Rickshaw, is a slow, but is a worth seeing way of getting around in the centre of Beijing. It takes you through narrow streets where no car can drive.

georeiser's Profile Photo
Jun 18, 2009

Things To Do in Beijing

Beihai Park

a tibetan Buddhist stupa in the Tibetan buddhist temple in Qiuongha Island in Behai Park called the Dagoba by Tibetans and Bai Tai by Han Chinese, built by Qing Emperor Shunzhi in 1751, made the Behai...

Church of the Saviour - North Church - XiShiKu Church

Not too sure about the spelling there, but it should come out to something like that. This church, a little bit west of Beihai Park, is one of the most beautiful in Beijing. During certain times, you...

Jingshan Park

Jingshan Park is directly north of Forbidden Palace. Most people visit the park in early mornings and day time. However, i recommend taking some time to visit the park in the evening as well. A lot...

Forbidden City - The Palace Museum

A very serious advice: Pay attention to every detail of the explanation done by your guide (person or book), during the visit: that way you will find out that "peace and harmony" is the dominant...

Back Lakes - Hou Hai

Shichahai is comprised of three lakes, Qianhai, Houhai and Xihai. Situated just above Beihai Park, there are many restaurants and bars along a quiet roads that run around the lake. Along the lake you...
Things to do

This is the street and area to stay if you are on a budget in Beijing. I liked the street, it is located in an old area of Beijing. You have everything there, hostels at affordable prices in...

Getting to Beijing

We don't yet have an address for this Transportation. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this Transportation. Help us improve our info!