Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Private Custom City Sightseeing and Shopping Tour of Beijing
"The tour starts with a pick up from your hotel in Beijing. Your exact itinerary is flexible so you can customize your tour based on your preferences. If there’s something you want to see more or less of simply let your guide know. Your professional guide will make all the sites you want to go in order as long as time allows and make an ideal itinerary for you.The city sites you can choose include:Tian'anmen square and Forbidden City --recomm please add the sites in the 'Special requirement' box when you make the booking. After the historical sightseeing you will have a Chinese lunch in a local restaurant. Then you will start your exciting shopping tour in the afternoon. When making your booking please provide your shopping interests in the 'Special requirement' box. Your guide will recommend the right s your guide and private vehicle will drop you off at your hotel or site you want to go in the city."""
From $48.00

Private Tour: Panda House Visit And Cruise To The Summer Palace With Imperial Dinner
"Meet your guide in your hotel lobby around noon time (12:30pm) and head to the Panda House of the Beijing Zoo to visit the lovely pandas. Next take a short drive to the Imperial Dock in the Purple Bamboo Park. Take a scenic 40-minute cruise from Zizhuyuan Park to the South Gate of the Summer Palace on a boat that was once used exclusively by the Qing Emperors and Empress Dowager Cixi. Pass many including the working and living quarters of the emperor; the Long Corridor the longest covered walkway in the world with 14000 exquisitely painted pictures; Longevity Hill the best place to have a panoramic view of the Summer Palace; Marble Boat the iconic building of the Summer Palace which used to represent the stability and eternity of the Qing Dynasty; and Suzhou Street
From $118.00

Beijing Private Culture Experience With Lunch Inclusive
"Temple of HeavenPick up at 8:30am from your hotel to visit the Temple of Heaven where the Ming and Qing emperors performed their ritual ceremonies. The best time to visit it is in the morning to see the local seniors exercising practicing Tai Chi playing Shuttlecock doing ground calligraphy as well as singing and dancing.Liulichang StreetYou can visit Liulichang Culture Street which is known throughout China and the world for its ancient books calligraphy paintings brushes
From $118.00

Taxis Tips (86)

Tuk Tuk....sort of.

This is China's version of a Tuk Tuk, a small motorcycle driven taxi. These can be found in the outer ring roads, usually 5th or 6th ring. They are not found closer to the center of Beijing because they are illegal. even out in the 5th and 6th ring roads they are illegal but authorities look the other way because traditional taxi's are harder to come by that for out. They are considered personal vehicles and are not meant for hire. Of course that is not the case.

They are extremely cheap to use and prices is negotiable since there is no meter and the driver definitely would not speak English. I used one everyday when I stayed out on the 6th ring road area to get to the subway. Price was half that of a metered taxi. What I also liked is that most of these run on electric only.

blueskyjohn's Profile Photo
blueskyjohn
Sep 26, 2015

Private Hire

Wang Ping is a fully speaking English guide with his own car.

On his website he has a number of suggested trips.

However, you may request a price for any trip and he will make a plan for you. We used him to go to a section of the Great Wall and be picked up from a different place several hours later.

Excellent service and a funny guy.

boltonian's Profile Photo
boltonian
Aug 31, 2015

Airport Taxi

From the airport to downtown (Tianamen Area) most hotels will arrange a taxi for you for the bargain price of £25. You may also be approached in the terminal by the cheapest taxi in Beijing £28.

We simple went to an official taxi outside the terminal, he will use a meter and we paid £8.20.

Don't get ripped off.

boltonian's Profile Photo
boltonian
Aug 22, 2011

Taxi cheatings

I'd like to inform you about taxi... you can pay 5 time more for travel from beijing to airport (or to another point) even by meter counter as I did - I paid 320 instead of 70 yuan. It's just cheating... I have described my trip here: http://yakce.com/content/kak-puteshestvovat-po-pekinu It's in Russian but you can use translator.

korole
Aug 01, 2011

Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near Beijing

Hotels
No.103 West Street, Di'anmen, Xicheng District, Beijing, Beijing Region, 100009, China
Hotels
No.57 Dianmen West Main Street, Xicheng District, Beijing, Beijing Region, 100009, China
Hotels
No.57 Nianzi Hutong, Jingshanhoujie, Dongcheng District, Beijing, Beijing Region, 100009, China
38 West St, Di an men, Beijing, Beijing, 100035, China
No.13 Building No.31 Yard, Xishenku Avenue, Xicheng District, 100034
No.68 Sanyanjing Alley, Jingshan East Street, 100009

Taxi's they are soo cheap !!!!

Ok, taxi's are cheap but beware, don't negotiate any prices with anyone....first shown them the address you want to go to, if they say Ok...which all taxi drivers seem to know, point at the meter and have them turn it on....on a couple of occasion a couple of driver's wanted me to pay them in US dollars and I told them to get lost. From one side of the city to the other it was 40 RMB during rush hour $5 US and from the city to the airport 90 RMB with a 10 RMB toll charge. Try that in NYC !!!!! Ask your hotel for a card written in Chinese and if you can approach a major hotel and have a doorman flag down a taxi for you. Most doorman at the major hotels speak some English and are really eager to help.

jlanza29's Profile Photo
jlanza29
Mar 26, 2011

Airport taxi to Beijing

I was very tired getting off of a 14 hour flight from the US to Beijing, and I've never been to China before. Someone approached me as I was leaving the airport and asked me in English if I wanted a taxi. I live in New York, and take black car services all the time. I don't, know I appreciate the hustle I guess. But I didn't sleep well and wasn't really thinking correctly, and without thinking let the guy grab my bag and lead me away from the taxi stand to the parking lot.

He was amazing, spoke a little English and was very friendly. He got me to my hotel quick, safe and sound. I never felt unsafe, and I even appreciated the tips he gave me as we were driving in.

HOWEVER, the car ride cost 450Y. In my head I translated that to 50 bucks, which seemed excessive, but that's about what a cab from JFK to south Brooklyn costs. I have since learned that you can hire a car and driver for a whole day for that. So maybe it's just me, and I'm the only person who would be so stupid. But tip: if you're going to take a taxi because you're too tired to figure out the train/bus system on your first day to Beijing, and someone asks you in English if you want a taxi -- they're not taking you to the taxi stand, and as polite as he might be. He's going to rip you off.

travelsniggler
Nov 28, 2010

Cheap as Chips

Getting around in Beijing on public transport is the cheapest way to travel and the metro is the fastest too.

Taxis are also very cheap mode of transport and when you have luggage are a must but ensure the meter is on else they'll charge you want they want to charge you.

I strongly recommend that you have your location written in Chinese to show the drivers as none speak English and I mean none.

Ask your hotel/hostel/guesthouse to write down in Chinese where you wish to go - make an English note next to it if you have more than one location - so you know which to use. And ask them to have the return to hotel location also noted in Chinese - most hotel/hostel/
guesthouses have a business card or flyer with a diagram and Chinese address - ensure you have this with you at all times.

Green_Frog's Profile Photo
Green_Frog
Jul 26, 2010

The Y files: Taxi!!!

The Y files, where Y stands for "yowza!".

Taxis in Beijing are plenty, cheap, comfortable and easy to use. Hail a taxi, get in and unless you speak Chinese, make it easier for everybody involved and have the name and/or address of your destination written in Chinese because none of the taxi drivers we dealt with speaks any English, fasten your seat belt and enjoy the ride through the chaotic streets of China. The Lonely Planet guide for Beijing has the names of the sights written in Chinese and that helped us a lot.

One funny anecdote I have is when going to Beijing North Railway station, we decided to get a cab from one of the subway stations but he didn't speak English and I don't speak Chinese but by hearing the locals I could put 2 and 2 together and managed to actually speak the name of the destination as well as I showed him where we wanted to go. However, I didn't get the pronunciation right because he didn't understand me and after a minute it sort of clicked for both of us and when he pronounced the name right, I nodded my head and said "yes!!!" and off we went.

The taxis have a machine that greets and says good bye to the passengers in English, sort of like "Welcome to Taxi Beijing...." and "thank you for using Taxi Beijing..."

Note that when crossing a toll booth, the passenger is expected to pay for the costs as s/he pays for the ride.

marielexoteria's Profile Photo

blueskyjohn

"Beijing"
SLLiew's Profile Photo

SLLiew

"Beijing - Imperial Peking"
nepalgoods's Profile Photo

nepalgoods

"My wonderful Beijing"
filipdebont's Profile Photo

filipdebont

"Beijing: from the Forbidden City to the Great Wall"

Taxi

Beijing is a huge city and the sights are very spread out and not all of them are within walking distance of the metro. I took a few taxi trips around Beijing without any problems and, for a capital city, they're not that expensive at all. In the daytime, the taxi flag fall is RMB10 for the first three kilometers, and it is RMB2 per kilometre for the remainder of the journey. If the journey is longer than 15 kilometers (8 miles), the charge rises to RMB3 per kilometre.

Willettsworld's Profile Photo
Willettsworld
Aug 09, 2009

Taxis in Beijing

Taxis in Beijing, think about complaining? Don't waste your time. Despite all the adverts about the complaint line being in English that is the last you will find. Press 3 for English version? Again forget it. I thought I was used to Asia but after a week in Beijing I have had enough. Here are the tips, always pay the correct amount don't expect change, breathe a sigh of relief when you get to your destination unharmed, if at a hotel where anyone can speak English then have them write your address in Chinese.
All the nonsense about photographing your driver if he is smoking? Yeah right, you want to be let off in the middle of the road in goodness knows where, then that'll do it. Find some backseat belts with a connector not hidden by a blanket and you'll be lucky.
Forget any manners you may have, unless you push and shove the Chinese will walk all over you. They are uncouth animals. Forget any nonsense that is put about that the Chinese are a polite or cultured race they are simply cowardly drones who are frightened of authority. When their boss is around or they know you know their boss then they simper pathetically and fawningly - not a man amongst them - when their boss is not around watch them practically run over women and children to get what they want. Boorish, pathetic, yes men. They don't have the confidence or charm of the hong kongers and they certainly don't have the grace and style of the Thais. Beijing, what a toilet!

TravellerX
Jul 20, 2009

Best private cab driver in Beijing!

I know this sounds a bit vague, but when my dad and I were in Beijing, we had the absolute best driver in the world. He was 100% fluent in English, and had personal contacts with locals all over the city and surrounding area. He got us discounts at the local pearl market, drove us to the foot of the steps at the Great Wall (which is not common,) and showed us a very cool jade store on the way back from the great wall.

If you are planning a trip to Beijing please email me for his contact info (he goes by "Barry" in English) I don't have it on me right now but we still keep a correspondence. Happy travels!

profuselycool's Profile Photo
profuselycool
May 25, 2009

Know how much to pay for cab fares

When you get on a taxi, look at the sticker affixed on the window at the right passenger side. The fare scheme is written on it so you'd know how the meter runs. As of April 2009, meters start at 10 yuan. Drivers would issue a receipt when you get off. And as others have suggested, be sure to have your destination(s) written in Chinese as drivers presumably do not understand English or any other language except their own.

stamporama's Profile Photo
stamporama
Apr 21, 2009

Things to Do Near Beijing

Beihai Park

a tibetan Buddhist stupa in the Tibetan buddhist temple in Qiuongha Island in Behai Park called the Dagoba by Tibetans and Bai Tai by Han Chinese, built by Qing Emperor Shunzhi in 1751, made the Behai...

Church of the Saviour - North Church - XiShiKu Church

Not too sure about the spelling there, but it should come out to something like that. This church, a little bit west of Beihai Park, is one of the most beautiful in Beijing. During certain times, you...

Jingshan Park

Jingshan Park is directly north of Forbidden Palace. Most people visit the park in early mornings and day time. However, i recommend taking some time to visit the park in the evening as well. A lot...

Forbidden City - The Palace Museum

A very serious advice: Pay attention to every detail of the explanation done by your guide (person or book), during the visit: that way you will find out that "peace and harmony" is the dominant...

Back Lakes - Hou Hai

Shichahai is comprised of three lakes, Qianhai, Houhai and Xihai. Situated just above Beihai Park, there are many restaurants and bars along a quiet roads that run around the lake. Along the lake you...

Nanluoguxiang

This is the street and area to stay if you are on a budget in Beijing. I liked the street, it is located in an old area of Beijing. You have everything there, hostels at affordable prices in...

Getting to Beijing

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Transportation. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Transportation. Help us improve our info!

Map