Map &

chevron_right

Top Tours

Private Custom City Sightseeing and Shopping Tour of Beijing
From $48.00

Private Tour: Panda House Visit And Cruise To The Summer Palace With Imperial Dinner
From $118.00

Beijing Private Culture Experience With Lunch Inclusive
From $118.00

Pollution Tips (18)

Smog

Beijing is one of the most polluted cities I have been too. After a few hours, my eyes were burning. Not much one can do but grit and bear it and hope that they wake up and do something about the issue.

Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
Jim_Eliason
May 12, 2016

Beijing is Now Polluted

you might have seen the news at the various news sites like CNN, BBC News, Fox News, Reuters, AFP, etc that Beijing is becoming more polluted and the air quality is not that great anymore and they had a 12 day traffic jam just last year. so if you are planning to visit beijing, be ready to have the 3M N 95 masks handy and in your travelling backpack as your might need it to filter the really bad air particulates in Beijing and also to shield your lungs at the Desert Storms that periodically go to Beijing.

machomikemd's Profile Photo
machomikemd
Oct 08, 2014

Smog Alerts

US embassy issues a smog warning. Usually much different from what China announces. From what I understand Chinese people listen to the US version as it is more believable. These photos are from a day the US Embassy issued the highest pollution alert there is, Hazardous. They recommend staying indoors. This would be a good day to visit an indoor museum. As a side note, the Chinese government issued a warning that was considered "very unhealthy" the level before hazardous.

Here is a link to the US Embassy page for these alerts: US Embassy Air Quality Alerts for Beijing

blueskyjohn's Profile Photo
blueskyjohn
Oct 13, 2013

Buy a Totobobo Mask!

I’m currently studying Chinese here in Beijing and I’m an intern on Heyrobics. Heyrobics is a fun and social way to exercise.

Before coming here, I was very worried about the pollution. Everyday I could read new articles about the bad pollution in the city so I started to search for different ways of avoiding/minimizing the risk of getting exposed to it. I searched for ages and I couldn't find any really useful information on the net.

After being here for a couple of months and still haven’t found any good ways to avoid the pollution, I finally got some good news! Another member of the Heyrobics team told me that we are planning to sell these new Totobobo masks. The Totobobo mask is designed to provide maximum protection and it is one of the best anti-pollution masks you can find on the market. And it is also from my own experience- really difficult to find in Beijing.

I bought one and now I’m wearing it almost every day, when I bike to and from school, when I'm out running and exercising! In the most polluted days you can feel a huge difference when breathing. Also by looking at the used filters you can clearly see that it really filters away a lot of the pollution!

Many of my friends and many Heyrobics members have already bought one and they think it is really efficient and useful, so my tip for you is- Buy yourself a Totobobo Mask!

You can find more information about the Totobobo mask on this website- http://issuu.com/heyrobics/docs/totobobo_for_hey_-_info_leaflet__summer_2012

Susan2012
May 12, 2012

Sponsored Listings

Hotels in Beijing

Hotels
No.103 West Street, Di'anmen, Xicheng District, Beijing, Beijing Region, 100009, China
Hotels
No.57 Dianmen West Main Street, Xicheng District, Beijing, Beijing Region, 100009, China
Hotels
No.57 Nianzi Hutong, Jingshanhoujie, Dongcheng District, Beijing, Beijing Region, 100009, China
38 West St, Di an men, Beijing, Beijing, 100035, China
No.13 Building No.31 Yard, Xishenku Avenue, Xicheng District, 100034
No.68 Sanyanjing Alley, Jingshan East Street, 100009

Pollution is very thick

Beijing suffers from extreme pollution that can hurt your eyes and make you cough,no doubt! If you are lucky,after a heavy rain,the smog may clear for a day or two. Guangzhou has better skies because of frequent rain, but some days the smell is overhelming and gives you a headache. After living in both places, this is a serious consideration any traveller should be aware!

oldblu
Nov 28, 2011

Chunks in Beijing

still dragging black chunks out of my ears and got a sore throat. seen the great wall, and the forbidden city now-- never going back. my body is not compatible with such pollution. be ready for upper respiratory problems, head aches, sore throat, and aching ears. if you know how to treat your self then plenty of pharmacies where you can get about anything. be careful of what you buy--- you may sleep for 24 hours taking a cough syrup-- loaded with codeine. otherwise go to doctor and collect a travel bag for ailments to take with you.

jmdolphin's Profile Photo
jmdolphin
Jul 23, 2010

Pollution

Pollution is a serious problem in Beijing. Specially in winter, when still many people heat their rooms with coal.

More and more cars are crowding the streets. They add to the pollution.

Even though the heating with coal is not very popular anymore, the problem of air-pollution is getting worse. A growing number of private cars and factories make it very difficult to reduce the pollution. During Olympics 2008 many factories were closed and cars could only drive on special days. There had been astonishing many days of blue sky in August 2008. Now this brouuht the problem to the minds of just everybody in Beijing. The goverment thinks about letting cars only drive on 6 days a week. In a Chinese Newspaper I have read, that riding bicycles will getting more popular in the future and maybe in about 10 yeras Beijing will be back to the times, where there were more bicycles than cars on the streets. Well, I am very curious, wether this will happen or not.

Be prepared, that after a while of walking around in Beijing you'll get a headake. Take some aspirin with you.

nepalgoods's Profile Photo
nepalgoods
Oct 05, 2008

Smog during Golden Week

Being an asthmatic I was actually surprised that the air pollution wasn't so bad while we were their during Golden Week (apparently Japan & China celebrate their Golden Weeks around the same time). But, still the air pollution is bad enough to reduce visibility in China and it was getting to us a little. We could really tell the difference in air quality after my wife an I returned back to Niigata, Japan to breath in some truly fresh air.

KevinMichael's Profile Photo

blueskyjohn

"Beijing"
SLLiew's Profile Photo

SLLiew

"Beijing - Imperial Peking"
nepalgoods's Profile Photo

nepalgoods

"My wonderful Beijing"
filipdebont's Profile Photo

filipdebont

"Beijing: from the Forbidden City to the Great Wall"
View Member

Breathe easy - wear a mask

Pollution is a huge issue in China, and Beijing doesn't escape this problem. I have asthma and it took several days for my breathing to fully regulate and get used to the poorer air quality. It of course didn't stop me from enjoying the holiday or from doing the regular tourist things (the air was fine on the great wall, if a little sandy), but it's something to be aware of and ensure you take precautions against if you have breathing issues.

Take a good supply of inhalers or whatever you take, and it's definitely worth taking or buying a face mask to wear over your mouth. Many Chinese people wear these (or use their sleeves) in the city and no-one will think you are being odd. These masks are also useful in the markets when it's hot as the smell can get a little pungent shall we say.

The pollution is very noticeable early in the morning as a heavy grey fog, a bit like an old fashioned London pea-souper. This normally lifts by mid-day but never fully goes away. The tall buildings are affected the worst by this and look very dirty. It gives the city an appearance almost akin to a post-apocalyptic scene (if you forgive the hyperbole), particularly as everything is currently being renovated and many of the tenements are being torn down to make the city look tidier.

JBourne's Profile Photo
JBourne
Oct 30, 2006

Wear a mask

The air is very dusty. You can taste it and feel it in your eyes and hands. To feel is to believe. You can see some people wearing masks here because of the smog and dust. This picture is from one of the lake/park in the northeast. That's not fog or some romantic mist, that's dust and other sulfuric particles in the air!!

Ramonq's Profile Photo
Ramonq
Apr 04, 2006

Air is very polluted!

The air in the city is very polluted and dirty.
Almost everyday the city is covered in smog. We thought the smog is because the weather is cold but no, it is because of the heavy traffic.
The weather is extremely dry too, even during summer season, it is very hot but dry. My lips cracked badly and throat was sore after a few days

whaleshark99's Profile Photo
whaleshark99
Oct 09, 2004

No really, that's not fog...

The pollution in Beijing is considerable. Our entire trip, the city seemed to be fogged in with some kind of haze. We got a bit of relief out at the Ming Tombs and Great Wall, but even there, we noticed it.

If you have respiratory problems, be aware of this! Sitting in traffic is the worst, I got high from the fumes!

amambaw's Profile Photo
amambaw
Oct 01, 2004

Things To Do in Beijing

Beihai Park

a tibetan Buddhist stupa in the Tibetan buddhist temple in Qiuongha Island in Behai Park called the Dagoba by Tibetans and Bai Tai by Han Chinese, built by Qing Emperor Shunzhi in 1751, made the Behai...

Church of the Saviour - North Church - XiShiKu Church

Not too sure about the spelling there, but it should come out to something like that. This church, a little bit west of Beihai Park, is one of the most beautiful in Beijing. During certain times, you...

Jingshan Park

Jingshan Park is directly north of Forbidden Palace. Most people visit the park in early mornings and day time. However, i recommend taking some time to visit the park in the evening as well. A lot...

Forbidden City - The Palace Museum

A very serious advice: Pay attention to every detail of the explanation done by your guide (person or book), during the visit: that way you will find out that "peace and harmony" is the dominant...

Back Lakes - Hou Hai

Shichahai is comprised of three lakes, Qianhai, Houhai and Xihai. Situated just above Beihai Park, there are many restaurants and bars along a quiet roads that run around the lake. Along the lake you...

Nanluoguxiang

This is the street and area to stay if you are on a budget in Beijing. I liked the street, it is located in an old area of Beijing. You have everything there, hostels at affordable prices in...

Getting to Beijing

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Warnings and Dangers. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Warnings and Dangers. Help us improve our info!

Map