Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Guided Cycle Tour of Guangzhou
"This tour tells the story of Guangzhou from old to new. From the old parts with forgotten heritage where life is still lived the traditional way to the shiny glitzy new city center with its world-class modern architecture and Ferrari's. Discover the contrast and get a better understanding of China's history future culture and lifestyle. Visit popular attractions including the City God Taoist Temple People’s Park Pearl River
From EUR55.00

Private Historical Tour: Guangzhou City Sightseeing Including Lunch
"Your friendly local guide will meet you in the lobby of your Guangzhou hotel and drive you by private vehicle to several top attractions in the city. Along the way hear informative commentary as you stop to explore the famous cultural and historical landmarks.First head to Chen Clan Temple built in the 1890s for ancestral worship by the Chen family. Also called Chen Family Academy the building was once used by students in preparation for their imperial exams. Inside admire the wood brick and ivory carvings
From $65.00

Pearl River Night Cruise in Guangzhou with Private Transport
"After hotel pickup by private vehicle your guide will accompany you on your two-hour cruise along the Pearl River – the largest river in Guangzhou as well as China’s third largest waterway. The cruise will take the front river route passing downtown and the loveliest scenery along the waterfront. Start your cruise from White Goose Pool also known as ‘Night Moon over the Goose Pool’ – one of Guangzhou’s top attractions. Your guide will tell you the legend about the deep jade water which has charmed visitors since ancient times with reflections of light on a moonlit night. As you float past Guangzhou’s famous landmarks listen to historical anecdotes about each site. You’ll see Xinghai Concert Hall
From $49.00

Zoo

The zoo was founded in 1958 and covers 42 hectares. It receives about 2.5 million visitors annually. I'm not a fan of zoos, but while in China I couldn't pass up the chance of seeing a panda.

Although the zoo could be vastly improved now, I found it on my visit to be a depressing experience. Many of the animals looked to be housed in poor conditions. I did get to see a panda, but on reflection it's a place I regret visiting.

tim07's Profile Photo
tim07
Feb 28, 2010

There's a better zoo in Guangzhou

If you want to see a world class zoo you would be better to avoid Guangzhou zoo, and instead go to Xiangjiang Safari Park, in Panyu District, Guangzhou. Its about 35mins from central Guangzhou city and can be reached by Metro (Line 3, the Changlong Hanxi Station) or by taxi (aprox RMB60).

Xiangjiang Safari Park has every animal you can think of (pandas and koalas included) and is the leading zoo in China. It is a much better zoo day out in Guangzhou.

aussie_expat
Jul 02, 2007

Chimelong Zoo

The Chimelong zoo is located in Panyu. It takes about 30 minutes by MTR, and 45 minutes if by bus. Actually there is a amusement park called Chimelong Theme Park and a circus called Chemelong Circus. For the Chimelong Theme Park, it is quite new and many areas are still under construction. So it is not worth going. And the Chimelong Circus starts every night. So you may go there after finish visiting the zoo. For the entrance fee of Chimelong zoo, it is CNY 120 (Euro 12, US$ 15.38). The entrance fee of Chimelong Theme Park is CNY 145 (Euro 14.5, US$ 18.59). The entrance fee of the circus is about CNY 120 (Euro 12, US$ 15.38)
There are thousands of animals in the zoo, some of them are even scarce, like White Tiger , a special kangaroo and panda. You can visit most of the animals by walking, while some area is restricted. You are only allowed to take the train provided to visit them.
The zoo separates several areas for showing different kinds of animals, like the East Africa Area, Australia Area, Desert Area. The environment is very good. It seems like you have been to the desert or Africa.
There are some "must visit" animals. The first is that special kind of kangaroo located in Australia Area. The colour of it is lovely. Also, the White Tiger is worth visiting. You may even hug the little tiger and take a photo.
Apart from visiting animals, you may also watch the White Tiger show, the Elephant show, the Pattot show and a show called Journey To the West. I have watched the first two shows. They are fantastic, but rather short. Each of them lasts about 15 minutes.

stefantung's Profile Photo
stefantung
Jan 11, 2007

Gaungzhou Zoo

On my third day in Gaungzhou I decided I'd go to the zoo. I had my map in hand and decided that I would walk from the youth hostel on Shamian Island! It was about a 10 mile walk that took me pretty much the whole day to get there! I didn't arrive at the zoo until 4 pm. I had stopped at many other places along the way too..(Peasant Movement Institute, Memorial Garden to the Matyrs, etc..) so it was a fun filled tiring day.
I originally wanted to go to the zoo to see a Panda Bear in China...I knew I wouldn't be able to see one in the wild so I figured a zoo in China would have a nice area for them...Well I was wrong...I did get to see the one Panda that was on display at the time but he was in a very small cage and looked kind of grungy and not well cared for...I'd wished that I hadn't seen it. One of the other oddities that I saw at the zoo was a Kodiak Bear!!! I couldn't believe it!! A bear from my Hometown living in Guangzhou!! He looked homesick as the local kids where teasing him by throwing rocks and cans at it!!! There were lot's of other displays too...Birds and other big animals...all in all I didn't really enjoy my visit to the zoo. But I enjoyed the long walk that covered one end of Guangzhou to the other....I didn't walk back to the guest house. My legs were tired so I hoped on the bus. I don't remember how much entrance fees were for the zoo but it wasn't expensive.

herzog63's Profile Photo
herzog63
Oct 14, 2003

Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near Zoo

No.85 Xianlie Middle Road, Yuexiu District, Guangzhou, Guangdong, 510070, China
Hotels
No.186-188 Xian Lie East Road, Tianhe District, Guangzhou, Guangdong, 510075, China
No.96 Xianlie Middle Road, Yuexiu District, Guangzhou, Guangdong, 510070, China
117 Hengfu Rd, Guangzhou, Guangdong, China
618 Mid-Guangzhou Avenue, Tianhe District, Guangzhou, Guangdong, 510500, China
6-8 North Tianhe Road, Tianhe District, Guangzhou, Guangdong, 510620, China

Bears

Seeing a Panda was a bit of a joke - they were somewhere down a black hole at the back. Hopefully by now they have cleaned their act up and the zoo has improved

Bears - their conditions were just appalling and they just seemed so sluggish to do anything.

keeweechic's Profile Photo
keeweechic
Aug 24, 2003

Guangzhou Zoo

Guangzhou Zoo is set on 430,000 square metres in area, it is the largest zoo in South China. More than 2,000 animals in 200 species are on exhibition in the zoo, including the giant panda (which is usually hiding), golden-haired monkey, red-crowned crane and other precious animals unique to China.

keeweechic's Profile Photo
keeweechic
Jul 13, 2003

The one conventional Panda...

The one conventional Panda left in China picks his way through the bamboo forest. All the rest seem to have been shipped of to zoos around the world. It is a giant panda conspiracy.

You've noticed that all of the pandas who are being shipped to many zoos are now having children. Then they'll have children. By then, China will dominate the bamboo market, they are nearly there. Bamboo prices will skyrocket to the point where zoos will no longer be able to support their Pandas.

This will lead to a FREE PANDAS movement, we will see ads of this kind on VT. Just wait and see, I'm tellin ya, It's a Giant Panda conspiracy, mmmmhmmm..

pjallittle's Profile Photo
pjallittle
Aug 24, 2002

'So where's the Panda?', a...

'So where's the Panda?', a few have asked. Here is the RED PANDA
for those who doubt the existence of these rare little animals.

pjallittle's Profile Photo
pjallittle
Aug 24, 2002

Top 5 Guangzhou Writers

Guantanamera's Profile Photo

Guantanamera

"Nuthin' But a "GZ" Thang"
herzog63's Profile Photo

herzog63

"Guangzhou - From back in the day....."
Sobe-A-Rush's Profile Photo

Sobe-A-Rush

"Guangzhou - My Chinese Home"
jlee008's Profile Photo

jlee008

"The Gateway to China"
joecooper's Profile Photo

joecooper

"Joe Cooper's Guangzhou Page"

Things to Do Near Zoo

Museum of Art

Plenty of places to eat in GuangZhou. I had a wonderfull time. Great people they are. I had no problems at all. Had pick pockets try one day. I was ready for them. I carried my wallet in the front...

Peasant Movement Institute

The Peasant Movement Institute occupies the former Confucian Temple that was originally built in 1370 but none of the temples statues or other relics remain. The Institute organised six training...

Museum of the Mausoleum of the Nanyue King

I have visited 5 times for this museum. It is pleased to go inside the museum to see the original tomb where the king was buried with his wife and concubines 2000 years ago. Then you can visit the...

Baiyun Mountain - White Cloud Mountain

Consists of some 30 peaks and is about 15km north of the city. The mountain region is refreshingly lush and green, and has some nice scenery, especially during sunset. A botanical garden and a bird...

Six Banyan Temple

Liu Rong Si is a cool little temple that is definitely visit-worthy. The immediate block surrounding the temple is full of stores selling Buddhist regalia and incense, and has a laid-back vibe to...

Pearl River

There is no better way to see Guangzhou by night than to take a cruise on the Pearl River. Most of the buildings along the Pearl River are brightly lighted up at night with dazzling neon lights that...

Getting to Zoo