Airplane, Hong Kong

plane
    counter
    plane
    by machomikemd

Know about this? Rate It!

• aussirose's Profile Photo

Don't Choose Cathay Pacific

by aussirose Updated Dec 11, 2015

Photo looks nice doesn't it :o) Don't be fooled.

I chose Cathay Pacific for our trip to Canada and the US because at the time it was number 1 Airline in the world (not now) and number 2, I thought Hong Kong might be interesting for a look around.

Well Hong Kong was interesting.... but we will never fly with Cathay Pacific again for the following reasons -
    Flying from HKG to YVR the 3 of us were not put together despite having booked 1 year in advance and despite having the same name. We were told that it was because we booked with a third party (flightcentre.com.au) and we did not have an E-ticket allowing us to book in and choose seats. Mind you, we arrived 3 hours early both times.... but do you think the Staff could organise our simple request?....
    Plus coming back from LA they cancelled the flight and told everyone that had E-Ticketsthat the new flight was 3 hours prior but not the people that had booked with the third party. Really?!! They had our details, email and phone number!!! Lazy.....Totally!!

No, give me Singapore airlines any day! :o)

• Photography

• shavy's Profile Photo

Cathay Pacific

by shavy Updated Nov 1, 2014

Flying with Cathay is for us not direct flight from Brussels. We have to fly via London or Amsterdam which sometimes the connection flights are not really good long layover

They have sometimes a promotion fare which has connection flights to Cebu Mactan Airport where I intend to fly. Their main stop are always in Hong Kong, and change to a small aircraft from Hong kong to Cebu.

I'd like flying with this airplane. But we need to get through London before we hit our destination. Is been quite awhile since my last fly with them

The airline has good service aboard, you will receive an eco-friendly travel case with socks, a sleep mask, earplugs, a toothbrush and toothpaste.

In addition to food and drinks they also offer a welcome drink and a hot towel, a selection of entrees, a bottle of water and a wide range of snacks

On board entertainment which has variety choice of movies. For kids are plenty choice of games. Children receive a special attention of air staff

Since, I fly with them I never had encountered of delay, always depart on time. It is a good airline where you find all the comfort, very friendly staff and helpful

Hong kong airport

Cebu Pacific

by machomikemd Written Sep 27, 2014

Cebu Pacific Air is the No. 1 Low Budget Carrier in the Philippines (in domestic travel but in international travel, Philippine Airlines is still the Number 1 and i still prefer Philippine Airlines, but I had to try their Manila-Hong Kong Service a try). The airline is a wholly-owned subsidiary of JG Summit Holdings, controlled by the Gokongwei family, one of the richest Filipino-Chinese families based in the Philippines. Cebu Pacific is currently headed by Lance Gokongwei, it's CEO. Cebu Pacific has the largest domestic destinations and is fiercely in competition with other los cost carriers like Sea Air, Air Philippines, Zest Air and the Legacy Airline Philippine Airlines. It operates like a no frills airline where even the potable water inside the aircrafts are for sale.

They have 5 daily flight to and from Manila and Once Daily Flights from Cebu City to Hong Kong using Airbus A 320's with all economy seats.

their Hong Kong Office is:

Room 407, 4rth floor, Mirror Tower, 61 Mody Road, Tsim Sha Tsui East, Kowloon, Hong Kong

Tel: (852) 2722-0609
    fax: (852) 2722-1993

Phone: (852) 2722-0609

Website: http://www.cebupacificair.com/

plane inside the plane chep lap kok counter plane

Dragon Air

by machomikemd Updated Sep 27, 2014

Dragon is a Regional Asian Budget Carrier and is a subsidiary of Cathay Pacific (since 2006, when it was bought by Cathay Pacific). It competes with Low Cost Carriers like Air Asia, Tiger Airways for regional supremacy (Budget carrier means having some frills like airline meals, check in luggage allowance and business class, albeit much cheaper fares than legacy airlines). It's Main Hub is at the Chep Lap Kok International Airport and it has a fleet of 41 planes (consisting wholly of Airbus Planes like A320s, A321s and A330s) and it flies to 47 destinations in 13 countries and territories across South East Asia and East Asia and Nepal in South Asia.

It is also a member of OneWorld Alliance and you can accumulate MR's via Marco Polo Rewards Club of it's owner, Cathay Pacific.

It's Hub in Hong Kong is the Main Gateway to China.

Phone: +852 747-3333

Website: http://www.dragonair.com/

inside me an Airbus A330 arriving at chep lap kok hello

Cathay Pacific

by machomikemd Updated Sep 27, 2014

the National Carrier of Hong Kong and is Owned By The Royal Swire Group. It also owns the Budget Asian Regional Carrier Dragon Air and was Founded in 1946 with a Single DC 3 Airplane and it now has 117 Aircraft in Various Configurations and flies from Chep Lap Kok Airport to 168 destinations in 42 countries. It is a member of OneWorld Alliance and you can accumulate MR's via it's Marco Polo Program.

Cathay Pacific is a rare breed of a Legacy Airline, Legacy Airlines all over the world are hemorrhaging since most cannot compete with the budget carriers and low cost carriers but Cathay Pacific is not only thriving but also is making a lot of profit since there is still a big market of air travellers who prefer legacy airlines due to the frills (free meals, drinks, more legroom, free check in baggage, business class, free newspapers, etc) and are willing to pay more than what the budget airlines are offering. From their hub Here in Hongkong, Cathay Pacific can take you everywhere (like going to China, Korea, US Mainland, Europe, South America, etc.). The Swire group, which owns Cathay Pacific, also owns Dragon Air which is a low cost regional airline.

Phone: +852 747-3333

Website: http://www.cathaypacific.com/

cabin ok hey at airport waiting for flight
    • Luxury Travel

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Qantas to Hong Kong

by cjg1 Updated Mar 14, 2012

Qantas operates an international configured Airbus 330-300 from Perth into Hong Kong. This was our chosen method in to town.

Qantas business class is ok. Although they are upgrading several of the 747s, the A330s still use the angled seats. These are far less than ideal for sleeping although still better than flying overnight in the back of the bus.

Service onboard is better than most people will have you think. They served multiple meals even though it was a short 6.5 hour flight. They also brought around amenity kits and PJs for us. Unfortunately although no fault of the airline it was a very bumpy ride so sleep was not much of an option.

They screens for the Q IFE are about 10” and in the seat back in front of you. Q is a decent enough on demand IFE system with I would guess about 70-100 movies plus tv shows. Of course they also include my favorite airborne app, in flight map.

Website: http://www.qantas.com

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Cathay Pacific to New York (JFK)

by cjg1 Updated Mar 14, 2012

Our last leg of my 2012 birthday trip was on Cathay Pacific in their new Cirrus business class seats on the 777-300ER. This was my first experience on CX other than in economy so I can not compare to the old Herringbone style seats.

CX fly four round trips to New York’s JFK every day. One of those four options makes a stop in Vancouver. As such, when it comes to easy frequent travel to the area they are a great option. The flight takes about 14.5 hours eastbound and about 16 hours westbound.

Cathay is well known for their excellent non intrusive service. They will not come around and constantly ask if you need anything. You are expected to ring your call bell or go find them if you want something. This is actually very nice once you get used to it. At the beginning of the flight you’re given an amenity kit that contains plane socks, toothbrush and some creams and such as well as a sleep mask. Sadly in business class on Cathay you do not get PJs. Those are reserved for those traveling in first.

You will get two meals on the trip and also a snack in between. These are full meals and come in courses, something that takes a little getting used to on a plane. Food is the one thing most people will say CX lacks on. What I had was ok to good and certainly did the job. I am not a drinker when it comes to being on a plane, so I have missed out on a lot of better options. I just hate to be in a controlled environment and then working to lose control.

The IFE system, called Studio CX is actually one of the better ones I’ve experienced in the air. I still would say Emirates has a better one and I’ve only used their in economy, but this one was nice. Approximately 500+ movies to choose from and I only watched one the whole way home. Most of the flight I had the screen either off as we went through night or on the map. The geek in me just loves flights with an in flight map.

The seat itself was nice enough and fully flat. I do wish I could have gotten a second pillow, but I did not think to ask at the time. I know now they have them for first class passengers so it might have been worth the question. To me though, the seat is a bit narrow. Just like their crowded economy seats. Next time I will definitely look for first availability as those seats are a full 8 or so inches wider. Still better than sitting in the back all night and day of course, but definitely had room for improvement. Liz was much happier with hers though.

Website: http://www.cathaypacific.com

F seats on CX 777 Me in the J Mini cabin Liz settling in PDB.  Champagne of course The 15.4

• lindyz's Profile Photo

Fly local - Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong

by lindyz Written Jan 7, 2012

My experience has usually been that a country's national airline is usually the cheapest and best way to fly to and from that country. And for this trip, that rule was no exception. Cathay Pacific was indeed the cheapest option and we certainly could not complain about the service, and price thats for sure.

Phone: 852-25960825 in Hong Kong

Website: http://www.cathaypacific.com

Our plane awaits at Sydney Airport On board our flight to HK - Chilling watching a movie Water for Elephant Airline food was ok too!! Awaiting to board our flight home at HK airport

• ullfri49's Profile Photo

With Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong

by ullfri49 Updated Apr 21, 2011

We choosed in 2002 for our trip from Frankfurt via Hong Kong to Jakarta the Cathay Pacific Airways. In remembering a very good service.

The way via Hong Kong is of course some hours longer than the south route - but it is good service, and a very comfortable route over the Eurasian continent, real. No problems good flight cause first over Russia, Kasachstan and Kyrgisia than jump over the hight Central Asia the Pamir or Altai mountains and long time over the great distants in inner China. Only short before in area Guangdong just over the coast area came a little bad weather belt with strong monsum rains, but without trouble while landing at new Hong Kong Airport

The next Destination we took same with Cathay Pacific Airways again to Jakarta over the south China Sea and the great island Kalimantan. So it was very comfortable, and the planned and welcome stop in Hong Kong was for us the best way.-

Here at the photo just the way back from Jakarta to Hong Kong short before takeoff- see it is newspapers hour- but all are Chinese Newspapers - news from home!

Cathay Pacific Airways- countdown and newspapers
    • Museum Visits

• muhdhazwan's Profile Photo

Jetstar Asia

by muhdhazwan Updated Apr 4, 2011

When I initially planned to go to HK, I decided to take the full pledged carriers like SIA or Cathay. However, realising the prices at its cheapest is still way too expensive, I decided to try budget airline Jetstar Asia. It costs about SGD250 per person, including taxes.

However, it was booked in April, about 3 months before the actual dates, so I guess to enjoy the best price, we need to book way ahead.

The flight with Jetstar Asia is great, everything went smoothly and importantly on time, although it can be a bit squeezy.

However, if you can afford one of those full carrier, consider booking those for its comfort and food.

Phone: (65) 6622 0288

Singapore Changi Airport Evening Sky Hong Kong International Airport

• blawatek's Profile Photo

OasisHongKong

by blawatek Updated Apr 4, 2011

OasisHongKong provides daily non-stop flights connecting HKG with London Gatwick and with Vancouver. High standard service on the board of their Boening 747 for a reasonable price makes this airline worth recommendation.

on the Boeing's 747 board Landing on the HongKong Airport

• bonio's Profile Photo

Oasis Hong Kong Airlines

by bonio Updated Apr 4, 2011

Currently (11/07) flying to London Gatwick and Vancouver, planning to increase their network next year. For us, flying from LGW, very good prices, around £100 cheaper than any other we could find. Service and legroom comparable to most others too aboard a modern B747-400.
    Definately use them again.

9ty April '08. Oasis Airlines have stopped flying and have been declared insolvent.

• From Singapore to Hong Kong

by xuessium Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is one of the busiest sector. Quite a number of airlines fly direct from Singapore to Hong Kong.

The full service airlines:
    Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, China Airlines (of Taiwan), United & Garuda Indonesia.

Budget Airlines:
    Jetstar Asia

The journey takes 3 hours.

SingaporeAirlines

• coolpanda87's Profile Photo

Airport Gates

by coolpanda87 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Here is a picture of the airport gates at Hong Kong International Airport.

Hong Kong's home airline is Cathay Pacific, one of the most respected & high quality companies in the industry. I always ride Cathy Pacific when I travel to Hong Kong, for no other airline can beat its customer service & comfort. Another airline I would recommend is Singapore Airlines, for their service is excellent & their planes are very new!

With over 80 gates, it does take a long time to reach some of them, especially the ones with high numbers. Therefore, it is best to take the Automated People Mover ( a driverless underground train) to reach your desired gate.

Airport Gates at HK International Airport

• Neil.G.Lees's Profile Photo

First Class with Cathay all the Way

by Neil.G.Lees Updated Sep 4, 2008

I was flying with Cathay Pacific from Manila to Hong Kong. It was my birthday so it only seemed like a good reason to sit "down front" in CX's new first class cabin.
    The short hop flight is only 1 1/2 hours. The sky staff pulled all stops to make it memorable, not for just the birthday boy but the rest of us stretched out lapping up those new seats. So wide they can fit a whole opera star.
    I got served a stellar roast of lamb nestled snuggly in a garden of roasted vegetables. My choice of English or German mustard? Some grand crux so smooth it floated down passed my ten mile high taste buds.
    The crew gave me warm greetings for my day, a card they all signed and they kept bringing gifts. CX cards, a pen, even a whole box of their signature pralines and a bottle of Cuvee William Deutz Brut 1988.
    Now here is the tip.
    I was just changing planes at Hong Kong to continue to Vancouver.
    The security staff confiscated the champagne.
    Give it away to a passenger who is entering the country.

Website: http://cathaypacific.com