Map &

"Hong Kong Super Saver: Hong Kong Island Tour
From HKD927.00

Airplane Tips (45)

Don't Choose Cathay Pacific

Photo looks nice doesn't it :o) Don't be fooled.

I chose Cathay Pacific for our trip to Canada and the US because at the time it was number 1 Airline in the world (not now) and number 2, I thought Hong Kong might be interesting for a look around.

Well Hong Kong was interesting.... but we will never fly with Cathay Pacific again for the following reasons -
Flying from HKG to YVR the 3 of us were not put together despite having booked 1 year in advance and despite having the same name. We were told that it was because we booked with a third party ( and we did not have an E-ticket allowing us to book in and choose seats. Mind you, we arrived 3 hours early both times.... but do you think the Staff could organise our simple request?....
Plus coming back from LA they cancelled the flight and told everyone that had E-Ticketsthat the new flight was 3 hours prior but not the people that had booked with the third party. Really?!! They had our details, email and phone number!!! Lazy.....Totally!!

No, give me Singapore airlines any day! :o)

aussirose's Profile Photo
Dec 11, 2015

Cathay Pacific

Flying with Cathay is for us not direct flight from Brussels. We have to fly via London or Amsterdam which sometimes the connection flights are not really good long layover

They have sometimes a promotion fare which has connection flights to Cebu Mactan Airport where I intend to fly. Their main stop are always in Hong Kong, and change to a small aircraft from Hong kong to Cebu.

I'd like flying with this airplane. But we need to get through London before we hit our destination. Is been quite awhile since my last fly with them

The airline has good service aboard, you will receive an eco-friendly travel case with socks, a sleep mask, earplugs, a toothbrush and toothpaste.

In addition to food and drinks they also offer a welcome drink and a hot towel, a selection of entrees, a bottle of water and a wide range of snacks

On board entertainment which has variety choice of movies. For kids are plenty choice of games. Children receive a special attention of air staff

Since, I fly with them I never had encountered of delay, always depart on time. It is a good airline where you find all the comfort, very friendly staff and helpful

shavy's Profile Photo
Nov 01, 2014

Cebu Pacific

Cebu Pacific Air is the No. 1 Low Budget Carrier in the Philippines (in domestic travel but in international travel, Philippine Airlines is still the Number 1 and i still prefer Philippine Airlines, but I had to try their Manila-Hong Kong Service a try). The airline is a wholly-owned subsidiary of JG Summit Holdings, controlled by the Gokongwei family, one of the richest Filipino-Chinese families based in the Philippines. Cebu Pacific is currently headed by Lance Gokongwei, it's CEO. Cebu Pacific has the largest domestic destinations and is fiercely in competition with other los cost carriers like Sea Air, Air Philippines, Zest Air and the Legacy Airline Philippine Airlines. It operates like a no frills airline where even the potable water inside the aircrafts are for sale.

They have 5 daily flight to and from Manila and Once Daily Flights from Cebu City to Hong Kong using Airbus A 320's with all economy seats.

their Hong Kong Office is:

Room 407, 4rth floor, Mirror Tower, 61 Mody Road, Tsim Sha Tsui East, Kowloon, Hong Kong

Tel: (852) 2722-0609
fax: (852) 2722-1993

Dragon Air

Dragon is a Regional Asian Budget Carrier and is a subsidiary of Cathay Pacific (since 2006, when it was bought by Cathay Pacific). It competes with Low Cost Carriers like Air Asia, Tiger Airways for regional supremacy (Budget carrier means having some frills like airline meals, check in luggage allowance and business class, albeit much cheaper fares than legacy airlines). It's Main Hub is at the Chep Lap Kok International Airport and it has a fleet of 41 planes (consisting wholly of Airbus Planes like A320s, A321s and A330s) and it flies to 47 destinations in 13 countries and territories across South East Asia and East Asia and Nepal in South Asia.

It is also a member of OneWorld Alliance and you can accumulate MR's via Marco Polo Rewards Club of it's owner, Cathay Pacific.

It's Hub in Hong Kong is the Main Gateway to China.

Sponsored Listings

No.5 Wenfu Road, Jiulong
75 Waterloo Road, Kowloon, (formerly Metropole Hotel), Hong Kong, China
No. 84-86 Wuhu Street, Hong Kong, China

Cathay Pacific

the National Carrier of Hong Kong and is Owned By The Royal Swire Group. It also owns the Budget Asian Regional Carrier Dragon Air and was Founded in 1946 with a Single DC 3 Airplane and it now has 117 Aircraft in Various Configurations and flies from Chep Lap Kok Airport to 168 destinations in 42 countries. It is a member of OneWorld Alliance and you can accumulate MR's via it's Marco Polo Program.

Cathay Pacific is a rare breed of a Legacy Airline, Legacy Airlines all over the world are hemorrhaging since most cannot compete with the budget carriers and low cost carriers but Cathay Pacific is not only thriving but also is making a lot of profit since there is still a big market of air travellers who prefer legacy airlines due to the frills (free meals, drinks, more legroom, free check in baggage, business class, free newspapers, etc) and are willing to pay more than what the budget airlines are offering. From their hub Here in Hongkong, Cathay Pacific can take you everywhere (like going to China, Korea, US Mainland, Europe, South America, etc.). The Swire group, which owns Cathay Pacific, also owns Dragon Air which is a low cost regional airline.

Qantas to Hong Kong

Qantas operates an international configured Airbus 330-300 from Perth into Hong Kong. This was our chosen method in to town.

Qantas business class is ok. Although they are upgrading several of the 747s, the A330s still use the angled seats. These are far less than ideal for sleeping although still better than flying overnight in the back of the bus.

Service onboard is better than most people will have you think. They served multiple meals even though it was a short 6.5 hour flight. They also brought around amenity kits and PJs for us. Unfortunately although no fault of the airline it was a very bumpy ride so sleep was not much of an option.

They screens for the Q IFE are about 10” and in the seat back in front of you. Q is a decent enough on demand IFE system with I would guess about 70-100 movies plus tv shows. Of course they also include my favorite airborne app, in flight map.

cjg1's Profile Photo
Mar 14, 2012

Cathay Pacific to New York (JFK)

Our last leg of my 2012 birthday trip was on Cathay Pacific in their new Cirrus business class seats on the 777-300ER. This was my first experience on CX other than in economy so I can not compare to the old Herringbone style seats.

CX fly four round trips to New York’s JFK every day. One of those four options makes a stop in Vancouver. As such, when it comes to easy frequent travel to the area they are a great option. The flight takes about 14.5 hours eastbound and about 16 hours westbound.

Cathay is well known for their excellent non intrusive service. They will not come around and constantly ask if you need anything. You are expected to ring your call bell or go find them if you want something. This is actually very nice once you get used to it. At the beginning of the flight you’re given an amenity kit that contains plane socks, toothbrush and some creams and such as well as a sleep mask. Sadly in business class on Cathay you do not get PJs. Those are reserved for those traveling in first.

You will get two meals on the trip and also a snack in between. These are full meals and come in courses, something that takes a little getting used to on a plane. Food is the one thing most people will say CX lacks on. What I had was ok to good and certainly did the job. I am not a drinker when it comes to being on a plane, so I have missed out on a lot of better options. I just hate to be in a controlled environment and then working to lose control.

The IFE system, called Studio CX is actually one of the better ones I’ve experienced in the air. I still would say Emirates has a better one and I’ve only used their in economy, but this one was nice. Approximately 500+ movies to choose from and I only watched one the whole way home. Most of the flight I had the screen either off as we went through night or on the map. The geek in me just loves flights with an in flight map.

The seat itself was nice enough and fully flat. I do wish I could have gotten a second pillow, but I did not think to ask at the time. I know now they have them for first class passengers so it might have been worth the question. To me though, the seat is a bit narrow. Just like their crowded economy seats. Next time I will definitely look for first availability as those seats are a full 8 or so inches wider. Still better than sitting in the back all night and day of course, but definitely had room for improvement. Liz was much happier with hers though.

cjg1's Profile Photo
Mar 14, 2012

Fly local - Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong

My experience has usually been that a country's national airline is usually the cheapest and best way to fly to and from that country. And for this trip, that rule was no exception. Cathay Pacific was indeed the cheapest option and we certainly could not complain about the service, and price thats for sure.

lindyz's Profile Photo
Jan 07, 2012

Top 5 Hong Kong Writers

gloopgloop's Profile Photo

"The Jewels of Hong Kong"
swissfondue's Profile Photo

"Welcome to my favourite city in the world"
vigi's Profile Photo

"Hong Kong: City of Life with Endless Motions!"
keeweechic's Profile Photo

"Keeweechic's Hong Kong SAR"
dejavu2gb's Profile Photo

"Hong Kong"

With Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong

We choosed in 2002 for our trip from Frankfurt via Hong Kong to Jakarta the Cathay Pacific Airways. In remembering a very good service.

The way via Hong Kong is of course some hours longer than the south route - but it is good service, and a very comfortable route over the Eurasian continent, real. No problems good flight cause first over Russia, Kasachstan and Kyrgisia than jump over the hight Central Asia the Pamir or Altai mountains and long time over the great distants in inner China. Only short before in area Guangdong just over the coast area came a little bad weather belt with strong monsum rains, but without trouble while landing at new Hong Kong Airport

The next Destination we took same with Cathay Pacific Airways again to Jakarta over the south China Sea and the great island Kalimantan. So it was very comfortable, and the planned and welcome stop in Hong Kong was for us the best way.-

Here at the photo just the way back from Jakarta to Hong Kong short before takeoff- see it is newspapers hour- but all are Chinese Newspapers - news from home!

ullfri49's Profile Photo
Apr 21, 2011

Jetstar Asia

When I initially planned to go to HK, I decided to take the full pledged carriers like SIA or Cathay. However, realising the prices at its cheapest is still way too expensive, I decided to try budget airline Jetstar Asia. It costs about SGD250 per person, including taxes.

However, it was booked in April, about 3 months before the actual dates, so I guess to enjoy the best price, we need to book way ahead.

The flight with Jetstar Asia is great, everything went smoothly and importantly on time, although it can be a bit squeezy.

However, if you can afford one of those full carrier, consider booking those for its comfort and food.

muhdhazwan's Profile Photo
Apr 04, 2011

OasisHongKong provides daily non-stop flights connecting HKG with London Gatwick and with Vancouver. High standard service on the board of their Boening 747 for a reasonable price makes this airline worth recommendation.

blawatek's Profile Photo

Oasis Hong Kong Airlines

Currently (11/07) flying to London Gatwick and Vancouver, planning to increase their network next year. For us, flying from LGW, very good prices, around £100 cheaper than any other we could find. Service and legroom comparable to most others too aboard a modern B747-400.
Definately use them again.

9ty April '08. Oasis Airlines have stopped flying and have been declared insolvent.

bonio's Profile Photo

Things To Do in Hong Kong

Mong Kok District

Mong Kok is really a good district to find things what you want. Just get off at Mong Kok station and you will find: 1) Watches, exit E1 (Nathan Rd.) 2) Computers, exit E2 3) Audio and Telecom...
Things to do

Hey Relax 3D Gallery is an interesting photo taking venue. Located at a few foot steps away from Kwun Tong MTR station, it provides a 3D Painting Photo Taking Area, 3 Selfies Rooms with props, it's...

Space Museum

if you want to feel a different experience in modern hong kong, then you can head to the space museum, located at the end of Nathan Road and at Salisbury Road, and Just beside the Avenue of Stars and...

Nathan Road

Advertised as one of the most commercial streets of Hong Kong, Nathan Road is… one of the most commercial streets of Hong Kong! So what? One Indian tout in each square meter, large and small shops...

Tin Hau Temple

Tin Hau is a goddess that (it seems) has about 60 temples in Hong Kong, some of them classified as monuments. I think that it is not the case of this one, located in Stanley, and that I visited in...

Bird Market

The bird market or "bird garden" has been in existance since 1997 when the Urban Renewal Authority set aside 300 square metres for its development as a way of improving the environment in the crowded...

Getting to Hong Kong

We don't yet have an address for this Transportation. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this Transportation. Help us improve our info!