Lalbagh Botanical Garden, Bangalore

4 out of 5 stars 15 Reviews

Lalbagh, BANGALORE-560004, Karnataka State, India. 080-26578184
Don't miss these tickets and tour deals!
Get best Lalbagh Botanical Garden rates on Viator
  • Lalbagh Botanical Garden
    by Rayyanzesus
  • Lalbagh Botanical Garden
    by orix
    In front of the glass house
    by abi_maha

• Lalbagh Landscape Exhibition

by MarkDSouza Updated Dec 25, 2015

We had a lovely experience. There were nursery stalls and a clay modelling workshop as we entered, the exhibition was well organised with adequate security and safety both for visitors and the exhibits, we saw many beautiful vertical gardens; the exhibits were not world class though. There were also some breathtaking topiary exhibits; bushes and shrubbery trimmed and pruned into animal shapes like horses and giraffes.
    On our way out we also caught a glimpse of the children s painting and art competition entries and winners.

• A Horrifying experience at All bagh

by Rayyanzesus Written Oct 29, 2015

A horrifying experience:
    Our morning walk was turned into an unfortunate and horrendous experience.
    My wife and I started working out at lalbagh about a month ago. We regularly used the public toilets at lalbagh .On one day we happen to use the washrooms at lalbagh Asoka pillar gate. The toilets were donated by varalaskhmi foundation.
    A cleaner lady at the washroom entrance demanded for a toilet service fee. As I refused to give her 5rs, as we never saw a board saying “pay and use”. The cleaner women became infuriated and began to yell in a high pitched voice. She began to use foul language.
    A lot of walkers just like us, gathered around. She presumed that we were not going to pay her money and she called the crowd. It was not that we were not going to pay, we wanted to get a confirmation that the money would go into the right hands. After about 20 minutes into the confrontation. The cleaner women walked away. We too headed out.
    Even after this episode, we continued to use washrooms in lalbagh (not the same one) even these washroom had a pay and use board. The cleaners at these washrooms never asked for money during early hours.
    Today ( 29th october2015 )at 8:30am my wife had to use the washroom urgently near the lalbagh Asoka pillar gate, as it was the nearest one. The same above mentioned episode began to unfold in front of our eyes.
    But this time it was 4 times harder. The same cleaner lady as usual gathered morning walkers. I requested to see her id card to ensure she worked at the toilet facility. She was offended by this behavior and she began to abuse my wife in the local language. My wife was shocked, when the cleaner lady pushed her against the wall and hit her face. The crowd had gathered by then, they suspected foul play from our end.
    When I tried to take a photo of the lady abusing my wife, one of the morning walkers started abusing and pointing fingers at my wife. This man also raised his hand at me. My wife came in between us, to stop the fight that could take place. This man grabbed at her dupatta and pulled it off. I was cornered against the wall. Within a friction of a second the man hit my face. Many others had gathered around me and giving ideas verbally of locking us in the men’s bathroom. Many calmer walkers pulled my wife out of the situation and requested us to leave.
    When we started to walk, the same man verbally abused me. I turned around and wanted to take a picture of him. He through my photo on the concrete pavement. The screen of my smart phone cracked. There was no regret or apology for him even at this time. As we moved further, He bent down and tried to grab my feet, so that I will fall down.
    Meanwhile my wife was shattered and she was verbally abused by other the crowd (mostly men). She somehow managed to capture these photos of the event.
    A man in plain clothes arrived at the scene; he threatened me and my wife that he would get us behind bars. He portrayed to be the security supervisor of lalbagh. I was shocked when he began use foul language towards my wife and me. The supervisor had no knowledge about what had perspired there.
    He ordered the gate security to throw my wife and me out of lalbagh. He wanted to instigate me to do something unto word. So, that he can put us behind bars for an offence from my end. He put his chest out and came towards me and my wife. I was almost slapped by him. The man who had slapped me prior was missing from the scene.
    The cleaner lady too was frightened, by the unfolding of events.
    After this episode, on reaching home both my wife and me were shaken. My wife began to cry profusely. She questioned me that for 5rs can men touch me and verbally abuse me? She also was angered by seeing her husband get hit in front of her eyes and she was helpless.
    These questions couldn’t be answered by me; I had no words for her.
    Please tell me how I can answer these deep questions from my wife and how can we get justice? Please share your views and experiences regarding the same.

Tip

• orix's Profile Photo

Botanical garden

by orix Written Apr 5, 2014

Great place to spend a couple of hours. Beautiful garden with many nice spots to rest. Don't miss the monkeys. If you have done a morning tour, you can have lunch in the MTR restaurant just across the road from the main entrance.

• portlanddave's Profile Photo

A Few Days in Bangalore.

by portlanddave Written Jan 1, 2010

Go to Lal Bagh (botanical gardens), eat at Mavalli Tiffin Room, have a drink at NASA on Brigade road and check out the shops, or go to Commercial street around 11am and start haggling for gifts for your family, or wander around Cubbon park, or eat at Nagarjuna for some Andra style food, and make sure to visit Vishnu temple... and generally explore.

Crossing town in a rickshaw will take a while, so try and avoid too much back and forth driving to save time.

Enjoy, we loved Bangalore, a great city.

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Lalbagh Botanical Garden

by Willettsworld Written Sep 20, 2009

This 240 acre (971,000 sq.m) garden is located to the south of the city centre and is one of Bangalore's main attractions. Hyder Ali commissioned the building of the garden in 1760 but his son, Tipu Sultan, completed it by importing trees and plants from several countries. It holds a number of flower shows, especially on Republic Day (26th January). The garden has over 1,000 species of flora but it's main attraction is the Glass House, modelled on London's Crystal Palace. It's a very nice and well kept garden to walk around and I did so with my auto rickshaw driver he came with me and pointed out things to me such as a 300 year old "Christmas tree".

Open: 6am-7pm. Admission: Rs10.

• abi_maha's Profile Photo

Lalbagh-A walk through Hyder's garden

by abi_maha Updated Feb 9, 2009

The Lalbagh Botanical Garden, Bangalore is of royal origin and was started initially as a private garden in an area of 40 acres by Hyder Ali, one of the most famous rulers of old Mysore in 1760. Initially designed in Mughal style, on the model of an extensive garden at Sira in Tumkur near Bangalore, this garden was further developed by Hyder Ali’s son Tipu Sultan and subsequently by the British and Indian doyens of horticulture by extension of area and addition of a number of plant species.
    Lalbagh is currently under the Directorate of Horticulture, Government of Karnataka. The Directorate is housed amidst the splendid environs of the botanical garden. Lalbagh was given the status of a Government Botanical Garden in 1856, and since then, it has been an internationally renowned centre for scientific study of plants and botanical artwork and also conservation of plants. Formal and informal styles dominate the garden in perfect harmony, which is a testimony to the beauty of nature. Today, the garden is a lush green paradise with an area of 240 acres in the heart of the city.
    This garden houses a Glass House, built during the British Raj and is said to be modelled on London's Crystal Palace. This now serves as a venue for all Horticultural Shows put up in lalbagh. Bi-annual flower shows are popular here and start a week prior to our Independence day (15th Aug) and our Republic Day (26th Jan) every year. Expect hoardes of visitors during the same!
    HMT(Hindusthn Machine Tools) gifted Lalbagh a huge floral clock, said to be one of the most accurate such clocks in the world!
    The Lalbagh Rock is one of the oldest rocks in the world and is over 3000 million years old!
    All in all, Lalbagh is a must visit when in Bangalore

Address: Wilson Garden, Bangalore

Directions: It is in the heart of the city flanked by the JC Road, RV road and Ashoka Pillar

Sun sets over the lake In front of the glass house Ducks in the lake Flowers near the Horticulture office A beautiful visito at the lake this sunday!

• mallyak's Profile Photo

Lal Bagh

by mallyak Written May 6, 2008

Lal Bagh Botanical Garden is a well known botanical garden in Bangalore, India The garden was commissioned by the ruler of Mysore, Hyder Ali.
    Background
    Hyder Ali commissioned the building of this garden in 1760 but his son, Tipu Sultan, completed it. Lalbagh is a 240 acre (971,000 sq.m. - almost 1 sq.km.) garden and is located on the southern part of Bangalore. It holds a number of flower shows, especially on the Republic Day (26th January). The garden has over 1,000 species of flora. The Glass House, modeled on London's Crystal Palace (now re-modelled with a different layout), is the center of attraction. Hyder Ali laid out these famous botanical gardens and his son added horticultural wealth to them by importing trees and plants from several countries. The Lalbagh Gardens were commissioned by the 18th century and over the years it acquired India's first lawn-clock and the subcontinent's largest collection of rare plants. The garden also has trees that are over 100 years old.

The Glass House at Lal BaghThe garden surrounds one of the towers erected by the founder of Bangalore, Kempe Gowda. Hyder Ali decided to create this garden on the lines of the Mughal Gardens that were gaining popularity during his time. The park has some rare species of plants brought from Persia, Afghanistan and France. With an intricate watering system for irrigation, this garden is aesthetically designed, with lawns, flowerbeds, lotus pools and fountains. Most of the centuries old trees are labeled for easy identification. The Lal Bagh Rock, one of the oldest rock formations on earth, dating back to 3000 million years, is another attraction that brings the crowds.

• castorp75's Profile Photo

Lalbagh botanical garden

by castorp75 Updated May 4, 2007

Excellent value. There's no foreign quota, everyone pays a ridiculous 5 or 15.- Rs. entrance fee. Can't remember correctly but it was damn cheap. The botanical garden covers a very large area so you can spend a lot of time (we spent 4 hours) walking and seeing different subtropical plants, artificial lakes, etc. There are some wild monkeys, squirrels and other animals as well. A very nice place if you like nature. You can relax on the benches which is refreshing after spending some hours in the overcrowded and smoke-filled streets crawling in the chaotic traffic. The only drawback is that Indians seem to keep their nasty habit of littering, even in this beautiful garden.
    Moreover, we didn't see any other western tourists. It means that there were no self-appointed guides, souvenir sellers and it was possible to ask an Indian to make a photo of the 2 of us without having to give some baksheesh. Refreshing experience.

Address: Lalbagh Botanical Garden

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo

LalBagh Botanical Gardens

by RickinDutch Written Mar 22, 2006

In the southern part of Bangalore is 240 acres of well laid out botanical gardens chock full of both native species of plants and a wide variety of exotic plants. The greenhouse is supposedly based on London's Crystal Palace, although the grounds keeper I chatted with said it preceeded that landmark. Whatever the case, the gardens are well worth an afternoon of your time.

Lalbagh greenhouse Lalbagh Botanical Gardens

• bradbeaman's Profile Photo

Lalbagh Park

by bradbeaman Updated Mar 14, 2006

If you go in the early morning to Lalabagh Park it is packed with morning walkers and there is no charge to get in.After 9:00AM it is five Rupees entry fee. It is worth it at any time.

The 240 acre Lalbagh Gardens were laid out in 1760 by HyderAli.

The Park has the Glass House, inspired by the Crystal Palace in London and hosts the colorful Flower show during August.

Strolling through Lalbagh Park
    • Hiking and Walking

• undisputed's Profile Photo

LAL BAGH

by undisputed Written Mar 2, 2005

Spread over 240 acres of flowering glory, Lal Bagh has rare collection of tropical and sub-tropical trees, plants and herbs to quench the thirst of search for scenic beauty by both layman and horticulturist. Hyder Ali was the force behind laying out the park in 17th century. But Tipu Sultan was responsible for enriching the vast collection by importing several specimens from Afghanistan, France and Persia. Lal Bagh is artistically landscaped with expansive lush lawns, flowerbeds, lotus pools and fountains. In 1840, Lal Bagh had a magnificent glass house built in line of London's Crystal Palace. January and August are the best time to visit to see the garden bursting with full bloom.

• grets's Profile Photo

Lalbagh Botanical Gardens

by grets Updated Dec 15, 2004

The gardens were originally laid out in 1760 and are amongst the most famous in India.

The gardens cover over 240 acres, and are home to more than 1,000 tropical plants, some of which are not found anywhere else in India.

There is also a 19th century pavilion, fountains and lamp stands.

Entrance to the gardens

• Lalbaugh Botanical Garden

by Manyana Written Sep 1, 2004

Bangalore is rich of flowers and cool weather. Lalbaugh is very beautiful gardens, with variety of flowers, glass house, memorials.
    The photo is of a tree, believed to be more than 2,000,000 years old.
    Open:9 a.m.-7p.m.

• Hiking and Walking

• Doggins's Profile Photo

Lal Bagh Botanical Gardens

by Doggins Updated Dec 6, 2007

Personally I much preferred Cubbon Park..........

Address: Lal Bagh Road

• Skibbe's Profile Photo

Lalbagh Gardens

by Skibbe Written Feb 16, 2006

This park was begun in 1760 and covers 240 acres. It is a beautiful, well-maintained park; a great place to just walk around and see everything around you.

Glass House, based on London's Crystal Palace The park's lake