Map &

From $94.00

Half-Day Motor Bike Tour of Mumbai
From $82.00

CULTURE Tips (7)

Mehendi being applied to my hands

Favorite thing The second day of the wedding had all the women together, having mehendi applied. The floors of the room were covered with mattresses and pillows so we could all sit comfortably. The elder women in the family played and sang traditional folk songs and brought delicious foods throughout the day.

Apr 24, 2003

Art and History on show!!!

Favorite thing The Prince Of Wales Museum or Chattrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastusanghralaya as it has been recently renamed after the famous Maratha warrior king Shivaji is built in the Indo-Saracenic style in honour of the then King George V's visit to India and built by George Wikket.

Entrance is Rs.10 for adults and the timings are from 1015 to 1800 hours everyday except Mondays when it is closed. Free audio guides in English, French and German are available for foreigners who have to pay a slightly higher entrance fee to see the museum. Photography and videography is allowed but you have to pay an extra Rs.30 for the permit.

It has three main sections: Art, Archeology and Natural History. It also houses a vast collection of Chinese jade pieces, Victorian Oil paintings and weaponry from the Mughal era.

A new wing of the museum called the Premchand Roychand Gallery was recently inaugurated and is now open for viewing from the 26th of November 2002.

Worth taking a peek into Indian Art and History!!!

aadil's Profile Photo
aadil
Nov 30, 2002

Meeting of Cultures

Favorite thing We were travelling with an English family with 4 very blonde children aged 6 - 16 years.
As we left the caves I became aware that a small group of about 7/8 Indian youths were following us.
I was the only adult close to the children and lingered to keep an eye on them - but all the lads wanted was to have their photograph taken with the little blondies.

I, we all, had such a lot of happy fun taking the photos - on the cameras the Indian boys offered - but I really regret not having a pictiure of that happy, spontaneous friendly gathering myself.
So - if people stare - don't run away - they most probably want to be friends!

ranger49's Profile Photo
ranger49
Jan 09, 2010

TIPPING

Favorite thing Depending on the service rendered, 5% of the total cost is appropriate. There is a service charge of 10% in most up-market hotels. While hiring taxis or autos, there is no need for tipping since they are all run according to metres. If you wish, tip at your discretion.

Amitu's Profile Photo

292 J. B. Behram Marg, Mumbai Central (East), 400008
Sant Savta Marg, Byculla, Mumbai (Bombay), Maharashtra, 400027, India
Corner of Bellasis Road, Corner of Belasis Road, 400008

The colonial heritage

Favorite thing Since in 1668 the British East India Company received this lands from the crown and founded the modern city, Mumbai (former Bombay, from the portuguese name "Bom Bahia", Good Bay) has been filled with many architectural samples from the Metropoli.

It's weird to see such British buildings and double decker buses in such a tropical and hunid atmosphere. Most of them are a bit ruined by the high humidity, but certainly keep that old colonial air that makes them so interesting...

SirRichard's Profile Photo
SirRichard
Dec 23, 2003

Walk everywhere!

Fondest memory That would have to be just hanging out with my friends and meeting their family. The days where all the women sat around, the elder women played folk music and we all had mehendhi applied was very special.

Aug 25, 2002

My friends getting married

Favorite thing On the fourth day of the wedding, the couple sat together under a tent of beautiful fabric. its poles garlanded with fresh flowers. The bride's sister sat next to her, the priest and the holy book in front of them. The guests sat on the floor behind the couple, talked and walked about freely. That people walked around and talked during the ceremony was a surprise to me. One of the cousins urged me to get up and walk to a spot to take this photo, assuring me that it was not rude, disrespectful, etc. She seemed to be right, as I got in no trouble at all for taking this photo.

Jun 09, 2003

MM212

"Bombay"
PierreZA's Profile Photo

PierreZA

"Mumbai – A Magnificent Mix"
aadil's Profile Photo

aadil

"Aadil's Mumbai (Bombay) City of Gold!!!"

Things To Do in Mumbai

Haji Ali Mosque

Some people I met in Mumbai told me not to miss Haji Ali Mosque. So, the next day I took the bus to that part of the city. From Flora Fountain the bus was 8 rupees (June 2010). After a long time on...

Haji Ali Dargah

I felt great visiting the shrine, having set off early morning to avoid mid-day crowds. The causeway had some stalls on either side, most with the blue tarp still wrapped: a good sign - in that I WAS...

Kamala Nehru Park

Kamala Nehru Park is located at the top of Mumbai's Malabar Hills and spreads over an area of about 4000 square feet. It has got its name from Mrs. Kamala Nehru who was the wife of the First Prime...

Dhobi Ghat - Mumbai's Laundry

The Dhobi Ghat is a huge outdoor "laundromat" located in the Mahalaxmi area of Mumbai. Each day it is estimated that a half a million pieces of clothing are sent here from various places - hospitals,...

Mahalaxmi Race Course

Mahalaxmi race-course is situated in central Mumbai, next to the "Mahalaxmi Railway Station" and facing the Arabian sea, one of the World's most scenic race-courses.The horse racing season starts in...

Mani Bhavan

Mani Bhavan is such an interesting museum. The building itself is a very pretty two-storied building tucked away on a quiet side street. Whenever Gandhi was in Mumbai -between 1917 and 1934 -Mani...

Getting to Mumbai

Address

We don't yet have an address for this General. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this General. Help us improve our info!

Map