Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Crawford Market Tips (9)

Crawford Market

This area of Mumbai (10 minutes north of CST Station by foot) is mostly muslim and houses a lots of streets full of baazars and very interesting shops. At the market building (see photo) you'll find a lively food and veg market, including live animals. The external decoration deserves a stop to admire it.

SirRichard's Profile Photo
SirRichard
Dec 23, 2003

Crawford market

When I visited Mumbai the first tome, I fall for a tourist trap here at Crawford market. A ‘guide' approached me – showed a sign (very old) which states that you need a guide to visit the market. Well that was many years ago the case!
It is a nice market to visit with great fresh produce.
You can also get your spices, rice and lentils there.
If you feel the need you can visit the livestock market.

PierreZA's Profile Photo
PierreZA
Feb 15, 2008

Crawford Market 1865

I heared about Crawford Market,so thought of stoping there,its goverment municipal market.
Main thing is fruit market,you can get varities of fruits.Its worth to see inside,becas,i think its big fruit market India.
Seems all tourist will come here,took pics of Fruit venders,i just entered to have look,ofcourse with camara in my hand,:)
nearby Vender guy was asking me wana take photo,before i replied he is ready for pose ,haahhahahaha
Yah ,i too took photo,dont want to disapoint him,then i deleted later thats is diffrent thing ;).Come outside from road you can the buildings,its old Victorian building.
Its near VT staion. I dint buy anything,but went to cafe(ehhheh to have look of VT )
at Crawford market.I saw opposite roads ,many road side shops selling cloths to shoes etc.

radz's Profile Photo
radz
Jan 29, 2004

Crawford Market

Named after the first Municipal Commissioner of Bombay, Arthur Crawford, this clock tower market dominates the skyline of the crowded inner city. The building, designed by William Emerson and completed in 1869, was donated by Cowasji Jehangir. The structure is a cross between Flemish and Norman architecture with a bas-relief depicting Indian peasants in wheat fields just above the main entrance. The frieze was designed by Lockwood Kipling, father of British novelist Rudyard Kipling. He designed the fountain inside the market as well, but today it is barely visible, squashed under mounds of apples and mangoes. Crawford Market covers an area of 72000 square yards and was built of coarse Coorla rubble, relieved by bright redstone from Bassein. The market was renamed Mahatma Jyotiba Phule Market after a famous social reformer and houses a wholesale fruit and vegetable market, poultry, fish and meat stalls and is very busy but really worth while visiting.

Willettsworld's Profile Photo

292 J. B. Behram Marg, Mumbai Central (East), 400008
Sant Savta Marg, Byculla, Mumbai (Bombay), Maharashtra, 400027, India
Corner of Bellasis Road, Corner of Belasis Road, 400008

Crawford Market

From fruits to live animals and cosmetics to electronics, Crawford Market has it all. It is Bombay's first municipal market, built in 1869 and named after Arthur Crawford, the city's first Municipal Commissioner. The construction of the market, however, was funded by a wealthy member of the Parsi community, Cowasji Jehangir who donated it to the city. The architectural design, a mix of Moorish, Gothic and Flemish styles, was the work of the British architect William Emerson. Unfortunately, time has been unkind and the building is in need of restoration, yet the market continues to function as it has for over a century and is a fascinating circus of buyers and sellers. Although its name was officially changed to Mahatma Jyotiba Phule Market, everyone still calls it Crawford Market. It is located north of Victoria Terminus.

MM212's Profile Photo
MM212
Mar 21, 2009

Crawford Market "Local Tour Guides"

Great market. Interesting things to see and definitely very colorful. One thing that caught me off guard was the fact that as I entered the market, an Indian man insisted that he guide me through the market. He pointed to a sign at the entrance to the market that said that all "visitors" needed to be accompanied by a guide in order to go into the market. The sign looked official enough (I forgot to take a picture of it), and he even produced a "badge" from his pocket. So I resigned myself to going through the market with him. He was seemingly friendly and did point out the highlights of the market including bringing me to various food stalls. I didn't buy anything from those stalls. At the end of the "tour" he said, "now you have to pay me". I naively told him that he never said it would cost anything, whereupon he told me that I never asked up front. I decided to give him a couple hundred rupees and he seemed happy with that. In retrospect, I probably paid too much; also, my first mistake was not asking how much the fee was up front. It was my first day in Mumbai and I guess I was still used to my North American ways. There are all sorts of "guides" throughout Mumbai--lesson to be learned here is to settle on the price up front if you are going to use these guides.

yvrtourist
Oct 13, 2006

Mumbai's various markets

To be honest, I was rather disappointed by the all of the markets recommended to be visited. The trip to Crawford Market was pointless, why would I even want to see vegetables and fruits on sale?! Before we entered, a man approached us and pointed to a sign saying that guides are required in the market so well, he got the job. The only interesting part was perhaps a wall covered with well over a hundred exposed power switches connecting to the various stalls around. It is no surprise why you hear about fires breaking out in these places every now and then. Next, the guide brought us to a chicken farm! Well, not literally, but the meat market which I was solely disappointed I didn't get to see a bloody goat's head as mentioned in Lonely Planet. LOL! We then proceed to the other side of the road where another market was - fabric this time. This was okay, with some very interesting things to see all nice and colourful. I think we got lost in the end. And lost the guide too! Oh well...

M.E.R.V's Profile Photo
M.E.R.V
Jun 11, 2007

Crawford Market

Known As "Mahatma Jyotiba Phule Market "

The market is housed in a building that looks like something out of Victorian London, but over-run with a crazy riot of local colour.There are tiny knick-knack shops that sell masalas, pickles, chocolates, toothpaste and lots of other stuff that people want to buy. Lots of things to photograph if you are a camera-addict.

There's also a meat section and a pets market - but if you're squeamish, you should avoid this area

From Crawford Market, you should walk into the nearby lanes, to see the traditional bazaar areas.

ni3sgalave's Profile Photo
"My Second Home"
MM212's Profile Photo
"Bombay"
PierreZA's Profile Photo
"Mumbai – A Magnificent Mix"
aadil's Profile Photo
"Aadil's Mumbai (Bombay) City of Gold!!!"

Crawford Market

Poised between what was once the British Fort and the local town, Crawford Market has elements of both. It's a blend of Flemish and Norman architecture with a bas relief depicting Indian peasants in wheat fields just above the main entrance The freize, incidentally, was designed by Lockyard Kipling, father of the famous Rudyard Kipling, and the Kiplings' cottage still stands next to the JJ School of Art across the road. Opposite. Now named after a local patriot called Jyotiba Phule, Crawford Market looks like something out of Victorian London, with its sweet smell of hay and 50 ft high skylit awning that bathes the entire place in natural sunlight. Mountains of fruit and fresh vegetables are sold here at wholesale rates. Next door there's also a meat and poultry section along with stalls selling smuggled cheese and chocolate!

ashishashar's Profile Photo
ashishashar
Aug 24, 2002

Things To Do Near Crawford Market

Things to do
Some people I met in Mumbai told me not to miss Haji Ali Mosque. So, the next day I took the bus to that part of the city. From Flora Fountain the bus was 8 rupees (June 2010). After a long time on...
Things to do
I felt great visiting the shrine, having set off early morning to avoid mid-day crowds. The causeway had some stalls on either side, most with the blue tarp still wrapped: a good sign - in that I WAS...
Things to do
Kamala Nehru Park is located at the top of Mumbai's Malabar Hills and spreads over an area of about 4000 square feet. It has got its name from Mrs. Kamala Nehru who was the wife of the First Prime...
Things to do
The Dhobi Ghat is a huge outdoor "laundromat" located in the Mahalaxmi area of Mumbai. Each day it is estimated that a half a million pieces of clothing are sent here from various places - hospitals,...
Things to do
Mahalaxmi race-course is situated in central Mumbai, next to the "Mahalaxmi Railway Station" and facing the Arabian sea, one of the World's most scenic race-courses.The horse racing season starts in...
Things to do
Mani Bhavan is such an interesting museum. The building itself is a very pretty two-storied building tucked away on a quiet side street. Whenever Gandhi was in Mumbai -between 1917 and 1934 -Mani...

Getting to Crawford Market

Address

Dhobi Talao, Mumbai

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!

Map