Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Private Mumbai Half-Day Sightseeing Tour
"You're finally visiting Mumbai Bollywood City. But there's a catch: you have only one day. (Hey you've always heard that things move fast here—why not you?) Your tour specialist will meet you at your hotel lobby in Mumbai. Your tour will begin by visiting Gateway of India built to welcome King George V and Queen Mary into India. Just around the corner is the iconic Taj Mahal Palace Hotel. The hotel's original building was commissioned by Jamshedji Tata and first opened its doors to guests on December 16th 1903.Then visit Mumbai University (a British heritage building built in 1857) Rajabai Clock Towers (the Big Ben of India)
From $65.00

Private Full-Day City Tour of Mumbai
"Your tour will begin as you are picked up from your hotel in Mumbai to see the ‘City of Gold’ firsthand with your guide. Head to the Haji Ali Dargah which was constructed in 1431 in memory of a wealthy Muslim merchant Sayyed Peer Haji Ali Shah Bukhari who gave up all his worldly possessions before making a pilgrimage to Mecca.There will be a break for lunch followed by a visit to the Dhobi Ghat the city’s open-air municipal laundry where thousands bring their clothes to wash from around the city daily. Also you will see the memorial at the Mani Bhawan once the residence of Mahatma Gandhi. Afterward you will see the Rajabhai
From $94.00

Half-Day Motor Bike Tour of Mumbai
"Your professional guide will meet you at your hotel lobby in Mumbai at your preferred start time. Your tour will begin by visiting the Gateway of India Mumbai's most famous monument; it was built to welcome King George V and Queen Mary into India. Just around the corner is the iconic Taj Mahal Palace Hotel.You will then visit Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus train station (a UNESCO World Heritage Si the British heritage building built in 1857; the Rajabai Clock Towers called the Big Ben of India; the Oval Cricket Ground the location where the most beloved sport of India is played; and the Bombay High Court a beautiful British heritage building.You will also be seeing Asia’s largest open air laundry “Dhobi Ghat” where clothes are washed in full view of public. Afterwards you'll move on to see Mahatma Gandhi's residence in Mumbai
From $82.00

Taxi Tips (27)

book my cab

​very very bad system. taxi is not allocated till 30 minutes and is cancelled at last moment even if you book way ahead . do not depend on this company. very unreliable compared to other companies. this is my firsthand experience​.The staff is taught to say we are sorry. If they do not have taxis they should close the business.
you will west your tme and energy with no results if you book this cab.

netrasukh
Dec 14, 2014

Taxis Made in India

India in general, and Mumbai in particular, are seemingly unaffected by the American, European, and Japanese output of cars. India produces its own eccentric brand of cars, including the Ambassador, which appear to have the peculiar engineering stamp of British colonial production. Like most British cars, the design and quality of these cars are less than acceptable by world standards, and so as far as I know, none are exported from India. The Mumbai taxis are these quaint vehicles which are quite reasonable in price to hire, even if short on leg room, seat comfort, ceiling height, and window space. From our experience though, driver courtesy is as good as it gets anywhere in the world.

Update: Recently a resident Indian informed me that India now imports a wider variety of automobiles, and so this market is less insular than it was during my travels in 1997.

atufft's Profile Photo
atufft
Sep 07, 2013

Mumbai Taxi

Finding a taxi in Mumbai is no longer a challenging task, Wheelz India has all kind of taxis for fulfilling your travelling need. We have range of four wheelers starting from standard AC taxi to Luxury taxi in Mumbai. You can book taxi in Mumbai through us by just either calling on our centralized car booking number 01140131313 or visit our website www.wheelzindia.com to book online taxi in Mumbai.

markkwheelz
Jan 03, 2013

Taxis on Demand

Updated 2/12: I'm not quite convinced that Mumbai has the hang of this taxi on call thing. We used Meru and not only could the driver not find where to pick us up but he took a "short cut" to the airport and we ended up missing our flight. Also - these taxis are more expensive than the black taxis off the street. If you do find a taxi driver that you like, take his cell number and call him first if you need a taxi. It's a good option.

Other than pre-paid taxi service from the city's 2 airports, taxi on demand is a fairly new concept. You can now call in advance or book online for a taxi pickup. Check each company's websites as some may require an advance booking of as much as 24 hours.

Once you book, keep the company's number handy in case you need to call them while waiting for the taxi. With Mumbai's traffic it's important to allow extra time to reach your destination, especially when going to the airport. Also if you have alot of luggage, be sure to inquire what type of car will be sent; unless otherwise requested you'll get a small car. Large cars/SUVs such as Innovas are available for large groups or those with alot of luggage.

The three companies I have used are: Cool Cab (usually smaller cars with A/C) - http://www.citycoolcab.in/, Meru is another company - http://www.merucabs.com/ and Star Taxi - http://www.startaxi.in/. We have used these companies for trips to the airport as well as local destinations.

It's a good idea to call and confirm your pickup a couple of hours before the scheduled time.

Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

Sant Savta Marg, Byculla, Mumbai (Bombay), Maharashtra, 400027, India
Corner of Bellasis Road, Corner of Belasis Road, 400008

Taxis with English Speaking Drivers

Hi,

Thought of sharing our unique taxi service in Mumbai. You can email or call for reservations.

Taxis with English Speaking Drivers, Available in Mumbai For Inter- City & Intra City Travels.

Ideal For Tourists,Expats & Business travelers. Travel around in comfort without hassles of communication.

Car Options:

Innova

High Luxury Segment
BMW
Mercedes

Customer Delight our Priority!

sud005
Dec 14, 2011

Taxi from the airport

I booked a prepaid taxi from the airport to the hotel in Fort area. There is one booth for prepaid taxis just as you enter the arrival hall (at this one you can also book the taxi from the outside of the building) and one by the exit.

The woman at the counter told me it was 400 rupees to my destination and I paid. Not until I left the building did I notice that it stood 370 rupees on the recite (an that included the bags and service as well). And I who thought this was a safe way to pay without being tricked to pay too much.

I took a black and yellow taxi without air condition. A blue and white taxi with air condition would have cost about 100 rupees more. And as I don't like A/C it was not a difficult decision. There were loads of taxis driving around, but I had to wait for the one with the correct number.

How long it takes to Fort/Colaba depends on the time of the day and traffic. The taxi driver drove to Colaba first instead of Fort and wanted more money for that, but I had given the right direction and knew nothing more was going to be paid.

MalenaN's Profile Photo
MalenaN
Aug 08, 2010

Taxis in Mumbai

Taxis in Mumbai are inexpensive if you compare to other countries. But they are not as cheap as the motorcycle rickshaws. Make sure to agree on the price before entering the taxi.

You can also hire a car for a day or a city tour at a fixed price. F.ex. Half day city tour from Juhu to Gateway of India and around was 1200 rupies. I bargained down to 1000 rupies.

georeiser's Profile Photo
georeiser
May 20, 2010

black n yellow, blue n white

Blue & white taxis have air con. NB This does not mean to say the people in the rear of the car are going to benefit from it. Air conditioned cabs always cost more.

The yellow and black cabs do not have air conditioning but there is nothing wrong with the old fashioned way of winding the window down!!!

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS agree the price before entering into the agreement.
Do NOT let them bump you into "good places to shop". It is good for them - they get 100INR just for showing up with you... but it is a pain in the backside unless you (a) have a genuine interest and/or (b) are feeling particularly generous with your time.
ALWAYS insist on being taken to where you WANTED to go and not to where they suggest (unless of course their suggestion is genuinely making a lot more sense).
Do NOT always be quick to believe what your cab driver is telling you EG I asked to go to the Gateway of India because I was taking a trip to Elephanta Island. My cab driver (at 1000hrs) told me I was too late for the ferries but he could take me around and show me the sights! After a heated discussion he decided he actually meant he thought it was going to be too hot for me!

If taking a cab to/from the airport you can use the toll bridge. It costs 50 INR one way and you have to pay - if y ou hand over more than 50INR check your change... some drivers will buy themselves a return on your behalf. Ok, we are talking about an extra 25INR but you may want to take that into account with the tip you hand over at the end!

smirnofforiginal's Profile Photo

MM212

"Bombay"
PierreZA's Profile Photo

PierreZA

"Mumbai – A Magnificent Mix"
aadil's Profile Photo

aadil

"Aadil's Mumbai (Bombay) City of Gold!!!"

Timing btwn city and MUMBAI AIRPORT

NOTE FOR TRAVELLING BETWEEN CITY AND MUMBAI AIRPORT
From airport to south Mumbai - It took about 1.5-2 hours by blue air-con taxi during midday when I arrived Mumbai without any rain. When I left from city to airport, the monsoon rain arrived heavily. Gladly I decided to leave for airport 5.5 hours before the flight time and I ended up spending 3 hours on the congested road with flooded water on the streets. The local taxi driver I got was so good to negoitate and struggle with heavy traffic for me and fight for every inch of space to advance in order to bring me to the airport. We encountered flooded road that he had to make U turn and took another road. Along the way, I saw many local taxi broke down due to flooding and heavy rain. I was praying that it would not happen to my taxi!!!

The congestion occurred all the way even to the moment that I got off right in front of the airport terminal. It was raining and I got wet all over the body (when I hailed for taxi) and sat in the taxi for 3 good hours. To apprevciate his effort, I gave him extra fare that he deserved it. My passport got wet for about 20% (gladly it is dry now when I write this message). This was the experience that I have never had after travelling to 65 countries to-date and for sure I will not forget. What an experience!

Sambawalk's Profile Photo
Sambawalk
Jul 06, 2009

Taxi between Airport and South Mumbai

From Mumbai international airpot, it costs Rs,480 to Mariman point in south Mumbai, although the receipt shows Rs430. (Jun 2009) Where does the Rs,50 go?? This is India, remember!!!!!

The price is for aircon blue taxi. The journey takes at least 1.5 hours or more, depending the timing of the day and traffic and road flood condition. See more pics for the counter and taxi.

From city to airport, ensure you calculate the traffic condition and if it rains, the road will flood and traffic is even worse. My return journey from South Mumbai to airport took 3 hours!!! Gladly I planned to go to airport 5.5 hours before my flight. Taxi fares usually costs more for blue taxi (up to Rs.800). I took a local taxi (black and yellow) for Rs350 and was inside the taxi for 3 hours due to traffic congestion, road floods and heavy rain in monsoon (Jun 2009).

You also have to take note at the airport, it is a bit crowded because only the passengers are allowed to enter the terminal, meaning all these people are standing outside the passengers drop off areas, creating lots of human congestion.

Also inisde the airport there are many long queue. So planning 5.5-6 hours before flight time is good. Amazing!

Sambawalk's Profile Photo
Sambawalk
Jul 05, 2009

reliable taxi service in Mumbai

Next time you are in mumbai, the most reliable taxi service at present is Meru (full green) cabs +91 22 4422 4422 or Megacabs (full black) +91 22 4242 4242. these are professional taxi service available round the clock at the airport.
dont get into any other cab service since they try to cheat you, including me, even if im from the same city.
also dont forget to ask for a bill/receipt of the fare in the end. if the taxi driver doesnt give you, you can call the taxi company and complain.
you can also try to call the company if you are in within india for a cab at a perticular time. but most of the time, during peak hours the cabs are booked, especially during saturday night.
but at the airport you can find these cabs.
dont get into the cool cabs which are light blue and grey in colour since their taxi meter is modified to charge you more.
they are also available in most cities these days. check their website for more info

tranceperent's Profile Photo
tranceperent
Jun 10, 2009

Fix a price/fare

The black and yellow taxis which never stops horning is most probably the easiest way to get around in Mumbai.
In the Colaba - Marine Drive - Crawford Market area you should not pay much more than
Rs50 - 60 per trip.
It is best to name your destination and fix a price before getting in.
I did not find many taxi drivers who were verey bad, and hardly ever had to bargain too much.

PierreZA's Profile Photo
PierreZA
Feb 15, 2008

Things to Do Near Mumbai

Haji Ali Mosque

Some people I met in Mumbai told me not to miss Haji Ali Mosque. So, the next day I took the bus to that part of the city. From Flora Fountain the bus was 8 rupees (June 2010). After a long time on...

Haji Ali Dargah

I felt great visiting the shrine, having set off early morning to avoid mid-day crowds. The causeway had some stalls on either side, most with the blue tarp still wrapped: a good sign - in that I WAS...

Kamala Nehru Park

Kamala Nehru Park is located at the top of Mumbai's Malabar Hills and spreads over an area of about 4000 square feet. It has got its name from Mrs. Kamala Nehru who was the wife of the First Prime...

Dhobi Ghat - Mumbai's Laundry

The Dhobi Ghat is a huge outdoor "laundromat" located in the Mahalaxmi area of Mumbai. Each day it is estimated that a half a million pieces of clothing are sent here from various places - hospitals,...

Mahalaxmi Race Course

Mahalaxmi race-course is situated in central Mumbai, next to the "Mahalaxmi Railway Station" and facing the Arabian sea, one of the World's most scenic race-courses.The horse racing season starts in...

Mani Bhavan

Mani Bhavan is such an interesting museum. The building itself is a very pretty two-storied building tucked away on a quiet side street. Whenever Gandhi was in Mumbai -between 1917 and 1934 -Mani...

Getting to Mumbai

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Transportation. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Transportation. Help us improve our info!

Map