map
chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Jaipur Pink City Full-Day Tour Including Lunch and Camel Ride
"You will be picked up at 8:30 am from your hotel lobby and drive first to see Amber Fort located in the ancient capital Amber in Jaipur. After Amber Fort see Jal Mahal's (Water Palace) architectural beauty and  the beautiful Man Sagar Lake
From $59.00

Full-Day Jaipur City Tour
"You will be picked up from your hotel at 8.00am and start the excursion by visiting Amber Fort the ancient capital of the state. Perched on a hill some 11km from Jaipur and nestling among the Aravalli Hills is the historic fort-palace of Amber. Set in a picturesque background the splendid Amber Fort (Jaigarh) was built in 1600 by Raja Man Singh commander-in-chief of the Mughal army during Akbar's reign and certainly one the greatest general of medieval India. The fort also made the headlines after Independence when it was supposed to be the most likely hiding place of the Kuchwahas' famous lost you will be stopping for a few minutes for photography at Jal Mahal and continue to City Palace
From $50.00

Majestic Jaipur Day Tour
"As you begin this tour a chauffeur-driven private car will pick you up from your hotel in Jaipur at 9:00 AM and you will be introduced to your guide for the day.You will start by visiting Amber Fort. Here you will enjoy an elephant ride to the top of the palace. The el embellished headdresses and will give you a chance to experience life as a royal of the Maharajas. Inside the Fort you will visit the Hall of Victory or Jag Mandir and Sheesh Mahal - a room with all four walls and ceiling completely embedded with glittering mirror pieces specially imported from Belgium during that period. Next you will visit the Galtaji Temple
From $146.00

Monkey Temple Tips (8)

Monkeys at Galta Temple

I just adore monkeys and there was no way I was going to pass up the opportunity to go to Galta Temple. After stopping for a very late lunch we went to Galta Temple – also known as Monkey Temple.

At sunset (around 5p.m.) hundreds of monkeys converge on the temple. Our driver brought loaves of bread to feed them and we bought peanuts at the gate. There were monkeys all around eating bananas, bread, and peanuts. Of course they were adorable, especially the babies. Obviously they had no fear of humans but these monkeys were the most gentle we have encountered anywhere in India.

The temple itself - nicknamed the Jewel of Jaipur - is perched between the cliff faces of a rocky valley and the complex features many pavillions, holy bathing pools, and shrines. The temple houses sacred tanks whose water is claimed to be seven elephants deep. The walls are decorated with frescoes although many have been ruined. We climbed up to the temple passing worshippers bathing in the water along the way.

If you continue to climb you will reach Surya Mandir (Temple of the Sun God). It was built in the 18th century by Rao Kriparam, a courtier of Sawai Jai Singh II. There are nice views of the suurounding plains and Jaipur from this point.

Even without the monkeys, I recommend a visit and especially a climb to the Surya Mandir.

Visit late afternoon/sunset to see the monkeys.

Donna_in_India's Profile Photo
Donna_in_India
May 17, 2015

Galta

10km out of Jaipur, Galta is a pilgrim spot. It is visited for its temples as the sage Galav is mean to have lived and meditated here. It really is a beautiful, beautiful place.

Monkey Temple - As you walk up to the entrance gates there are people selling bananas and the like for the monkeys. You really do not need to bother buying anything - there are ample monkeys inside to have to worry about enticing them... and frankly the macaques here have rather short tempers and large teeth so, in my humble oipinion, encouraging them and feeding them is not the best idea in the world!

Now I cannot actually remember if I had to pay an entrance fee and if I did I think it was nominal. I did however have to pay a "donation" which I seem to remember thinking was not too bad and looked upon it as an entrance fee! I did get asked for some more donations as I went around and got led to some of the holier temples/shrines... this side annoyed me.
However, my trip here was one of my highlights in India. I drank chai with the guru who then took me and my family underground, hit us over the head with peacock feather, rubbed lotus oil into the backs of our hands, marked our forehead, bound our wrist with string, mumbled words I couldn't understand and blessed us. I am not a religious person but it was a very nice experience. I wondered if all tourists received this treatment but having met other people who had also visited here, I was the only one.

I wish I could have spent a little longer here but it was the end of a very long day and I was aware my driver was probably bored, tired and hungry. If I ever return to Jaipur I will definitely revisit here.

smirnofforiginal's Profile Photo
smirnofforiginal
Apr 29, 2010

the monkey temple

Wow! This place is stunning-like a lost city in the middle of craggy hills. I couldnt stop staring and then you enter-its got pools of water, monkeys dipping inside the water, not swimming but bathing. People worshipping and the structure is magnificent. The drive here is from in between stunning monuments and palaces, all abandoned but I can picture the splendour.

jane.amanda
Apr 04, 2010

Galtaji/Monkey Temple

It is an ancient pilgrimage centre lying beyond the gardens amidst low hills.Temples, pavilions and holy kunds (natural spring and water tanks) along with lush landscape make it a delightful spot.The most charming it falls on the full moon of Kartik Purnima same time of Pushkar Fair in (November). Each year, there are many people coming to Galta from all over Rajasthan and other part of India for holy bath.
The small temple of the Sun God built by Diwan Kriparam on the top of the highest peak is a visible city landmark.
Camera Fee Rs 30 Video fee Rs 50.

RAJASTHANBYCAR's Profile Photo

Nirwan Marg, Bani Park, Jaipur, Rajasthan, 302016, India
Opp Sindhi Camp Bus Stand, Station Road, Jaipur, Rajasthan, 302006, India
Opp Polovictory Cinema, Station Road, Jaipur, Rajasthan, 302006, India

Monkey Temple

The Monkey Temple, a.k.a “Galta” or the “temple of the Sun God”, is my favourite place in Jaipur, or even in the whole Rajasthan.
First of all because once I got there, there was no one tourist beside me!!! And this is really unbelievable..Considered that, this place is a very holy place for Hindu.
The way you gotta take to reach this place from Jaipur is pretty hard. First of all you gotta rent a Rickshaw which will take you on the base, then you gotta take a quiet deep hill and reach the top.
Along the way you will meet hundreds and hundreds oif monkeys, that’s way the name of the place...
Once you are on the top, you gotta take direction Monkey Temple (ask to the people you will meet along the way). Durign the way you will meet some holy places where you will meet a lot of Sadhu praying.
Then, to reach the Monkey temple, you gotta take a very deep downhill, which will take you with a 1,5Km walk to the main entrance.
The Monkey temple is a very big compex with a holy water, temples and buildings.
You will meet a lot of genlte people and a lot of Monkeys, too!
I didn’t pay any entry fee, so i do not know anything about that.

schlumpf's Profile Photo
schlumpf
Jan 28, 2005

Monkey Temple

The several temples of the Monkey Temple complex are both beautiful and the scenes of intense devotion by Hindu celebrants.

Though hundreds of monkeys live on the grounds, this is not principally a site for the worship of Hanuman, the 'monkey god,' but of Ganesh, the 'elephant god.'

I wandered into one small temple where a Hindu priest was reciting some mantra. The moment he saw me he stopped -- and proceeded to show me the temple's treasures and objects of devotion. An extraordinary experience -- and one I would not expect to be matched in a Christian church of Muslim mosque.

The photograph was taken from a landing below the main temple. The complex is huge.

NedHopkins's Profile Photo
NedHopkins
Jan 18, 2005

Monkey walhalla!

If you just can't get enough of monkeys, you shouldn't miss the Monkey temple (Galta Temple) It's in the east of Jaipur, behind the Sun Temple. It exists of some temples and three water bassins on top of on another. And a lot of monkeys take a swim in one of these bassins every day, a very nice view I can tell you! Here you can take the nicest pictures of monkeys. Someone told me that the best time to visit this temple; is before noon

20011019's Profile Photo
20011019
Aug 27, 2004

Monkey Temple: Ganesh

Over a dozen worshippers were offering their devotions in the main temple devoted to Ganesh, the 'elephant god.'

A close look at this picture will reveal bits of food and incense left for the god.

NedHopkins's Profile Photo
NedHopkins
Jan 18, 2005
keeweechic's Profile Photo

keeweechic

"Keeweechic's Jaipur"
schlumpf's Profile Photo

schlumpf

"Jaipur, the pink city of Rajasthan"
radz's Profile Photo

radz

"Jaipur-The City of Palaces,Forts&Gardens"
goutammitra's Profile Photo

goutammitra

"Jaipur: The Capital of Rajputana !"
MalenaN's Profile Photo

MalenaN

"Jaipur - The Pink City"

Things to Do Near Monkey Temple

Nahargarh Fort

Nahargarh is a lot closer to Jaipur with an impressive view over the city to the City Palace. The name means "Abode of the Tigers". Built by Jai Singh the founder of Jaipur, this fort was added to...

Jai Mahal - lake palace

The lake palace was built in 18th Century by Maharaja Singh. It sits in the middle of a manmade lake and was restored in 2008. The palace is not currently open to the public, but has been leased to a...

Jantar Mantar

This was one of our favourite sights in Jaipur, and indeed, one of Chris’s favourites from the whole trip – he found it totally fascinating, as did I. For both of us it had a double appeal – not only...

City Palace

The city palace complex still has some areas reserved as royal residence, but several buildings are opened to public as a museum. Different buildings and yards, arches and rooms, provide a very...

Jaigarh fort

Jaigarh Fort was built in 1726 by Jai Singh. It was originally constructed to tighten the security of Jaipur and Amber Fort which is located just below. Since it is located high on a high hill you...

Albert Hall Museum

Taking roughly 10 years to build, after laying the first stone during Alberts visit to India in 1876, in fact it was undecided what to do with it. After many discussions of whether it would be the...

Getting to Monkey Temple

Address

Govind Devji Temple, J.D.A. Market, Kanwar NagarJaipur, Rajasthan 302002, India

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!

Map