KARAOKE, Tokyo

Relaxing between songs
  • Singing
    Singing "Communication Breakdown" by Led...
    Power Ranger!!
    by patrick.harnett

Know about this? Rate It!

• patrick.harnett's Profile Photo

Karaokekan Shinjuku: You really should do Karaoke

by patrick.harnett Written Jan 4, 2016

Most of the karaoke we do in Japan is in a very small (traditional) bar in Kyoto, but in Tokyo with guests we are quite happy to rent a private booth and sing raucously. Our latest visit was at a chain karaoke store in Shinjuku at New Year where three hours disappeared pretty quickly.

Stuff to know:
    - the rooms are private - you pay per person and for the time. If you go over time, it can auto extend (we added an extra hour).
    - the karaoke machine has different controls for volume, bass, reverb etc - not too hard. Entering songs there is a touch-screen device/remote with an English option - the selection was pretty good.
    - you can order beer/wine/sake etc and a good selection of food. If you can't speak much Japanese the menu had numbers (1821 = pizza) so the operator should be able to understand and it is delivered.
    - the place we visited had free rental costumes - just for some extra fun
    - it isn't the cheapest entertainment in Tokyo - we spent Y60,000 in three hours, but Y24,000 was for six people for three hours - the rest was drinks and food.

It probably helped that this wasn't our first time, but for our guests it was something they had not done before - they had a great time and belted out some fairly tuneful renditions despite some initial reluctance.

Dress Code: Casual - and some costumes supplied.

Address: Shinjuku, Tokyo

Directions: On the corner of the block next to Shidax karaoke (there are many karaoke) - near the Gracery hotel (with the Godzilla)

Website: http://karaokekan.jp/index.html

Singing Power Ranger!! Beer, food, singing - excellent Relaxing between songs
    • Music

• huggy93's Profile Photo

Karaoke Kid: カラオケ

by huggy93 Updated Jan 8, 2007

Karaoke was one of my favourite things to do at night here. I loved it and after hearing a friend sing an amazing rendition of Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You," hitting all the right notes and keys, you can imagine how apprehensive I was when I was told... "Your turn?!" Whoa!! After I got over the nerves (in like 5 seconds) I really went for it and couldn't stop. I sang until I could sing no more, from ballads to more upbeat songs... "It's not un-u-sual to be loved, by anyone..." You know the deal by now!

To anybody that wants to do something fun, I would really recommend this, it's cheap, it's such a laugh and you hire your own private rooms between you and your friends.

Dress Code: Wear what you want to, there is no particular dress code needed to go and have some serious.... FUN!!

Address: All over Tokyo

Tilt your head to the left to view & SING!!!

• kdoc13's Profile Photo

Karaoke: Karaoke like the Pros!

by kdoc13 Written May 2, 2005

As I often do while traveling, I love to hang out with the locals. I hooked up with a few while shopping for Utada Hikaru CD's in Shibuya. They suggested we go and sing Karaoke.

Karaoke isn't just an evening of entertainment, it is an event. And everyone participates. I don't like singing. In fact, my singing scares children and animals. But that doesn't matter. The whole point of Karaoke is to get completely drunk and entertain your friends. Me drunk is enough normally to be entertaining, but add music and an evening of classic adventure is at hand!

In many places there are options. First there is bar Karaoke. This is starting to get a little more hard to find. You basically go, get drunk and sing to a whole bar. More common now is Room Karaoke. This is kind of like what you see in "Lost in Translation" where you have a private room and you and your friends all sing and drink together.

You can tell the real pro's at Karaoke by the way the sing. It is all about entertaining those you are out with, so some people will make more of a show of it. These are the ones who dance while singing, and can do every song in the book without looking at the words.

Westerners, don't worry there are plenty of songs in English. Although, many will not be ones you'd expect. I still find myself humming an 80's song I had forgotten about after Karaoke, and that was a few years back!

Dress Code: Depends who you are with. Adults tend to go business casual or suits. Younger folks like to go in jeans and their trendy T-shirts.

Address: All over Tokyo, but look in Shibuya and Roppongi

Directions: Best to ask what is closest to you from your hotel or local friends. They will often give you directions to less crowded ones, where the service is better

Karaoke in Shibuya-ku, Tokyo

• huggy93's Profile Photo

Karaoke Kid: More Karaoke more fun

by huggy93 Written Oct 22, 2004

"I waited 'til I saw the sun
    I don't know why I didn't come
    I left you by the house of fun
    I don't know why I didn't come

When I saw the break of day
    I wished I could fly away
    Instead of kneeling in the sand
    Catching teardrops in my hand

My heart is drenched in wine
    But you'll be on my mind
    Forever...."

Dress Code: Same way... whatever you want... you're there to sing, not on your fashion and style, and sing you will!!

What shall we sing?

• Beachcomber's Profile Photo

Go To A karaoke Box!: Go To A karaoke Box!

by Beachcomber Written Aug 24, 2002

It doesn't matter if you cant sing. You go to a karaoke box place and there is a number of karaoke boxes. A karaoke box (it's actually rather big) is a room with a TV, microphones and a karaoke system. You can sing away the night knowing that only your friends in the room will hear.
    There are english and Japanese songs. It's great fun, you absolutely must do it if you come to japan. An unforgettable experience. You can also order drinks and snacks from an intercom in your box and the staff will deliver it to your box.

Dress Code: Just turn up

Directions: all throughout Japan. Should be easy to find. If you can't find one just ask a local.

Instant Answers: Tokyo