map
chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Private Tokyo Custom Half-Day Tour by Chartered Vehicle
"This is a private tour by a chartered vehicle. Using this service you can charter your vehicle Limousine Van or Bus which is most suitable for your group and visit many attractive sightseeing spots. You don't have to hurry for any other tourist. This tour is only for your group!Tour route is flexible and can be arranged upon your request.Recomme Empress Shoken.- The Imperial PalaceThe Imperial Palace has been the home of Japan's Imperial Family since 1888. It is built on the same location Edo Castle.- AsakusaWhen approaching the temple visitors first enter through the Kaminarimon (Thunder Gate) the outer gate of the Sensoji and one of the most popular sights of traditional Tokyo."
From JPY45,454.00

Private Tokyo Custom Full-Day Tour by Chartered Vehicle
"The ultimate tour of Tokyo! You can see all of the interesting places in Tokyo area. The capital Tokyo has the beautiful contrast between metropolitan skyscrapers and traditional culturre!Tour route can be arranged upon your request.R visitors first enter through the Kaminarimon (Thunder Gate) the outer gate of the Sensoji and one of the most popular sights of traditional Tokyo.Option: (We will be able to arrange an custom-made itinerary for you. Please inform us at least 2 weeks in advance. )- Edo Tokyo MuseumPreserves the historical heritage of Edo-Tokyo displaying the original town with their lifestyle and culture of all eras. (Closed on every Mondays)- Tokyo Sky TreeThe tallest tower in the world (634m) has just opened on May 22 2012. The landscape from the top is outstanding.- Odaiba areaRainbow Bridge
From JPY89,286.00

1-Day Tokyo Bus Tour
"During your 8.5-hour tour in an air-conditioned coach you will have the chance to experience a great number of must-see landmarks in Tokyo such as the Imperial Palace Senso-ji Temple in Asakusa Tsukiji Fish Market and a Tokyo Bay Cruise. A fluent English-speaking tour assistant will escort you and the coach also has an audio guide in English Spanish
From JPY8,000.00

People to Avoid Tips (15)

Women don't be scared!

With very few exceptions, if women use common sense they will be safe in Tokyo. Much safer than any US city. Don't walk down dark alleys alone at night, etc. Use a buddy system if you are drinking. If you get "molested" (butt grabbed) on a train make a scene in any language. The grabber will be embarrassed by the attention.

In the last month the only issue I have had on the trains is a man checking out my chest. I was fully covered, but am larger chested than Japanese women. He would turn away every time I looked in his direction and was not aggressive. In New York the men are much worse.

AnnW
Dec 03, 2011

SMOKERS BEWARE in TOKYO!

One thing that held me back before in going to Tokyo was my worry about coping with smoking. I was glad not to believe a lot of sites I read which said that Japan/Tokyo for that matter was a place of smokers.

Having a family with asthma sufferesr, I was really stressed and agonised whether to go or not at the beginning of our planning.

However, I was relieved to find that at Narita Airport alone, there is a secluded place for smokers to do their poisonous habit without harming non-smokers like us! BRILLIANT! (Japanese smokers do follow this too!)

Everywhere we go, we did not have much problem with smokers. Even in restaurants/'fast food outlets, they have a closed room reserved for them and we liked that! We didn't have to inhale their deadly smoke!

AusPinay's Profile Photo
AusPinay
Apr 04, 2011

Safe ?not really

Its interesting to note that the comments about Tokyo being safe are usually made by Japanese people or non Japanese men. If however you dont fall into those groups please read on......
In the 2 years I have lived here I have heard many stories about unwanted attention on the trains and gaijin women being the victims of crime.
Almost all my non japanese friends have been a victim of one or more of the following- serious sexual assault, stalking, molestation, groping, being followed home, physically attacked in public, peeping toms, underwear theft from public laundries or balconies, having photos taken under restaurant tables or on stairs, harrassment on trains, indecent exposure etc. the list is endless.
Usually these these things happen at night but not always and often they are carried out by men who have been drinking. Its important to report even the most minor harrassment to the police or train guard.
If in public grab hold of the man by the hand and shout at him - any language is ok - use the word CHIKAN and others will get the message. Most of these men are cowardly -loudly /angrily asking "namae wa nan des ka?" (name)and "dochira ni o tsutome des ka?"(company) if hes wearing a business suit will embarrass and scare him. Above all stop the harrassment before it gets too serious - a firm "kamawanaide kudasai" (leave me alone) is often enough.

Above all dont let these sad people spoil your trip. Be strong be safe.

rachjapan
Apr 04, 2011

Pretty Little Maids

Young guys heading to Akihabara to check out anime and manga stores will be most vulnerable here. The maids are pretty little things that will invite you to a Maid Cafe. This could be classified as the G-rated version of the going to a bar and being ripped off. They will escort you to the cafe, and once you are inside, you discover it costs you just to sit down - at a table or lounge. Then the meals and drinks that are 'recommended' because you also get to have your photo taken with the girls are damn expensive. It is all designed to get you to spend as much money as they can get you too.

I think they were a little suprised when I went along with my son and his friend, and felt like a fish out of water, but am glad I did!

Firstly, do not pay with a credit card. As it was, we paid with cash, but when it came to being handed the bill, something didn't seem right. I'd roughly added it up to be around 9,000 Yen, but was handed a bill for 17,000 Yen! When I hesitated, she looked at me and asked if I wanted a calculator, and I said no. When I realised I was going to have to explain why I thought it was overcharged, I changed my mind and used a calculator and added up each amount - and of course it came to 9,000 Yen! There were lots of apologies and 'embarrassment' for the mistake and the 9,000 Yen in cash was accepted. If I hadn't bothered to check, we would have paid almost twice what we should have - and that was already too expensive for what it was!!

Mirmia

1-4-1 Otemachi, 100-0004
1-11-35 Nagatacho, 100-0014
2-4-3 Hirakawacho, 102-0093

Beware traveling alone.

Before I went to Tokyo I read several tips about what to do if you're groped or touched while on the train in Japan. I never did experience this, but I was VERY careful not to get onto crowded trains.
However, I did experience the ogling of very drunk Japanese men coming home from their late night excursions. They never actually approached me but I was the only female on the train and it was very obvious they were talking about me. It made me very uncomfortable.
As a female, when you ride the trains during the peak hours check out the platform and look for the women's only cars.

xxsentiaxx's Profile Photo
xxsentiaxx
Jun 21, 2009

Scam

You see this guy around train stations and public parks. He has some little toy that looks like a clown and he'll point at it and command it to stand up or lie down. They sell for ¥1000 and it's just a rort. Here's some videos I took :: Video 1 // Video 2

More info :: A Clever Kyoto Street Scam

AgentC's Profile Photo
AgentC
Mar 07, 2007

Massage girls in Roppongi

When in Roppongi no matter how drunk you are do not go off with girls offering to give you a massage. While having the massage they rob you of your money, and scan your credit card.
I stupidly went to one in my second month here, 4 months later I see an item on my credit card for $600!!

JPA170478's Profile Photo
JPA170478
Dec 26, 2006

Ladies be careful!

Ladies please be careful when you are travelling on trains especially during peak hours.
Even though Tokyo is a relatively safe place to travel around, it is not uncommon for ladies to be harassed or molested especially in crowded places.
Wear modestly or be prepared to attract unwarranted attention.

Jimaia's Profile Photo

dennisKL

"Tokyo"
Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo

Wild_Orchid

"Tokyo - I love this place ! Old, New, & Happening"
kdoc13's Profile Photo

kdoc13

"Tokyo"

Prostitutes and Gigolos

There are a lot of prostitutes from the local and foreign country. Basically all of them will use their smile to exchange the money from your pocket. They can be very nice to you as long you are they sugar daddy. For female, male gigolo industry is getting popular from day to day, their target is to senior rich madam whom their husband always busying on work.

o00o's Profile Photo
o00o
Aug 22, 2004

Generally, guys should feel...

Generally, guys should feel fairly safe in Japan.
For the girls, be careful of taking the crowded commuter trains between 7am-9am and 6pm-11pm. It is a known fact that there are gropers (sukebe) who like to molest foreign females and go undetected in crowded trains.
Also beware of what I call the 'Ruthies' - basically 60+ year old Japanese women who will do anything to get that seat. Be prepared to be pushed aside. Grin and bear it.
Public toilets at the train stations can be a little basic. They are generally the squat type - make sure you face towards the jet and flush only once you have moved away to avoid being 'splattered'. Always carry your own little supply of tissues as none are generally provided.

Xtian's Profile Photo
Xtian
Aug 26, 2002

Beware of the large eyed...

Beware of the large eyed beauties who may seduce you into beleiving they are yours... theyre only after one thing>>> your english ability. THis can be a good thing and a bad thing, it entirely depends upon your perspective on the whole situation. But you have been forwarned!!!

joe_joe_joe
Aug 25, 2002

Women, be wary of Japanese men...

Women, be wary of Japanese men when traveling on crowded trains. They usually won't bother foreigners but an intoxicted one might. The instances of sexual molestation on trains has become so pervasive that there are now female only train cars.
If you happen to see any large brown buses with chrysanthimums painted on them blaring out some deafening harangue, stay away. Those are the ultra-nationalists.

Sybaris
Aug 25, 2002

Things to Do Near Tokyo

Things to Do

Imperial Palace(Kokyo Gaien National Garden)

This is a photo of one the guardhouses that surround the palace grounds. These used to be used to keep the imperial family in splendid isolation maintaining a aurora of deity. Today the grounds are...

Chidorigafuchi

Chidorigafuchi is a section of Second Moat of former Edo Castle characterized by its width exceeding 100 meters, so much so it looks more like a dike pond. The moat is best known as one of the most...

Kitanomaru Park and Budokan

Originally built as the stadium for Martial Arts Events for 1964 Olympics, the stadium is often the very reason Tokyo tourists visit this park. Budokan is better known as the venue for the concerts...

Science Museum (Kagaku-gijutsu-kan)

Science Museum, also known as Kagaku-gijutsu-kan (literally the museum of science and technology) is one of the most popular hands-on science and technology museums targeted for children. It is...

National Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo Crafts Gallery

Also known as Kogeikan, this detached gallery of National Museum of Modern Art, about 400 meters west of the main building is one of the rare architectural properties in Tokyo which survived the...

Wadakura Fountain Park

Wadakura Fountain Park is located at the far corner of Kokyo Gaien National Garden and east of Imperial Palace East Gardens. It is noted for the fountain show which has the fixed pattern according to...

Getting to Tokyo

Address

Tokyo

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Warnings and Dangers. Help us improve our info!

Map