Map &

Private Day Trip to Malacca from Kuala Lumpur
From $95.00

Local food Tips (76)

Sun May Hiong Satay House: Pork Satay and pork liver satay

There are many rave reviews on Sun May Hiong Satay house from many foodies. It was said that the satay sauce had pieces of pineapples in it. I had expected the sauce to be similar to satay celup sauce but slightly thicker consistency. This is the type of satay sauce we have in Singapore.

The moment we arrived, we were served with ketupat, cucumber, onion and sauce. It was our first visit so we did not know that they will serve you the satay and keep refilling it and will only charge you for the number of sticks you have eaten. We understand the satay shop was full of customers and the waitress were busy, however when we tried to ask them for order they were not polite. Our request for intestine satay was ignored and after making the same request to the third waitress, we were then told that the intestine satay were sold out.

When they placed a handful of pork satay on our plate after much waiting, I finally had my first taste of the satay. The satays and its sauce were very different from the satay that I am familiar with. The satay is savory and lightly marinated; can't taste much of the spices but more original taste of pork. The sauce is slightly savory, tangy and spicy and had pineapples blended in it. It is more pineapple based than peanut based satay sauce. The meat on the skewers were pathetically small with fats sandwiched in between. Since intestine satays were sold out so I tried the liver instead. Big mistake! It was hard and dry and I found it hardly palatable. There is nothing special about the satays and I found it overhyped. Each stick of satay cost about RM0.70. The total bill for 21 sticks of satay and 2 glass of drinks cost about RM21.50. Given the type of service and the not so fantastic satay, I don't think I will be back for more; been there done that.

Nov 22, 2011

Xiang Ji satay house: Pork satay

The satay house is two shops away from Ringo's guest house. The moment we sat down, they served us two bowls of satay sauce and plates of cucumber, onion and ketupat(rice dumpling).

The satay sauce tasted similar to the ones from Sun May Hiong Satay house but it has a much thicker consistency. However, this penanut sauce is different from the usual ones that we had from the other satay stalls in Singapore. The main ingredient is pineapple and is slightly tangy, it used less of the spices and peanuts too. Pineapples were blended and added to the sauce and the satay were not marinated with lots of spices. The satay is more savory than the slightly sweeter version in Singapore or Johor. Personally, I find the satay is not so flavourful but suculent enough, probably I'm more used to the ones with more spices.

We waited for a while and satay were served to us without our need to order it. The concept of eating here is a bit different. You only pay for what you eat and they will count the number of satay sticks on the table. Each stick of satay cost RM0.70 and the herbal drink cost RM1.50. I find the satays and service here is better than Sun May Hiong.

Nov 22, 2011

Eleven: Baked fish like nobody's!

Having read reviews elsewhere about the seafood dishes here, we decided to give the restaurant a try.The few tables (there were only about 4) for dining were already full, so we had to take one of the small tables in the inner area (which was obviously meant to be a bar table) close to the kitchen. The upper floor, though with tables, wasn't being used at that time. In any case, the waiters were friendly and helpful (they speak good English, so no problem with communication), and the orders arrived quicky.

We ordered some small clams, fish rolls, mushroom soup, and the "obligatory" baked fish. The clams and soup were quite okay -- i would say, more like home-cooked food, meaning they tasted as i i expected them to taste, so there was no suprise or aha moment there. Nothing special about the fish rolls -- i mean, you didn't need to go to a restaurant to eat that, it felt more like street food for me. But the fish was someting else! We chose the one which had green ginger and chilies. It was excellent -- perfectly done in a melt-in-your-mouth way, the spices didn't overpower the fine taste of the fish, instead it heightened the subtle flavour of the fish. And the fish was big -- it was even too much for 2 persons (although this was a "small" order).

The fish overwhelmingly tipped the balance to the positive of what would have otherwise been just a regular dinner. In terms of taste, I have nothing to complain about, but what is lacking is presentation. See my photos -- the food don't look tempting or appetizing (even the fish), but it's only because they didn't bother with the presentation, for I can swear that the quality is much better than many other places in the area, and for less the price (our big dinner cost us about 25 euros).

So if you're not up to anything fancy and don't care much about ambience, but want simple but good local food (with fresh ingredients) and attentive service at a very reasonable price, this is the place. Come early because the place quickly fills up.

Favorite Dish The baked fish (which has the effect of steaming, as they bake it in foil) is superb!

berenices's Profile Photo
berenices
Nov 19, 2011

Famosa Chicken Rice Ball: No-frills diner, a local favorite

We had heard so much about chicken rice ball before coming to Melaka, that we thought it a must to try. Not having any particular place in mind, we decided to follow our noses to where the locals converged. Judging by the place being full, and with people continuing to arrive (even waiting outside in the rain for empty places), I suppose this was a comparatively good choice among similar eating places in the area, so in we went.

We ordered steamed chicken with the chicken rice ball, noodle soup, spinach, and drinks. Overall, food was just okay, nothing to jump about -- it was more like home cooking. The chicken rice ball, apparently, is just rice steamed in chicken broth. The servings, however, are rather small so a second order may be necessary for a more filling meal. The food, however, is very cheap, so no worries about ordering seconds. Service is fast, the young waitresses don't speak English, but the menu comes with photos so sign language is all that's needed really.

berenices's Profile Photo

8 Jalan Tukang Emas, Melaka, Melaka State, 75200, Malaysia
28 Jalan Tukang Emas, Melaka, Melaka State, 75200, Malaysia
1 Jalan Tun Tan Cheng Lock, Melaka, Melaka State, 75200, Malaysia

Jonker 88: Nice and yummy cendol

The restaurant is crowded and it is difficult to get a seat. The cendol has nice and thick gula melaka and it is not too sweet. Liked the texture of the shaved ice; not too coarse. The Kueh pie tees are delicious.

Revisit on the 5th Nov 11. I wanted to try the Baba laksa but it was sold out so I ordered asam laksa and cendol. The asam laksa has more ingredients compared to the version from penang asam laksa. It is slightly tangy and the spicyness is pretty mild. The taste is not too bad. The standard of the cendol seemed to have dropped. Also, they didn't add much of the gula melaka and ingredients to the cendol.

Revisit on the 6th Nov 11. Ordered only cendol. The standard of the cendol seems to be inconsistent. There are frozen bits of green starch noodles, they seemed to have taken it from the freezer and not fully defrost.

Nov 12, 2011

Famosa Chicken Rice Ball: I Officially Love Chicken Rice Ball

We were walking about Jonker Street and were pretty much famished as we left the hotel at 7.30pm. So by the time we got to Jonker Street, it was already 7.45pm.

We chanced upon this restaurant - lovely decor with traditional peranakan and chinese furniture decking the restaurant.

Favorite Dish Other than the rice ball and chicken, I really liked the chilli. Well mixed and deliciously prepared.

Sep 15, 2011

Chung Wah Chicken Rice Ball: Uniquely Melaka

I would have liked to get a better picture of the shop but alas, I was rushing off and could only do a turn-around shot. It was lunch time and the crowd that had gathered turned us away from eating here.

Though it is said that the food can only be deemed so-so, it's truly like the mecca of Melaka. A must-try. After that, you can announce to others that you've been there, done that.

Favorite Dish Specialty shop that sells chicken rice. I've ate their chicken rice twice so far - once we bought the chicken rice back to the hotel as we'd wanted to enjoy our meal in the air-con comfort.

Sep 15, 2011

Ole Sayang: Incredibly good Nyonya Food

The Seet family could count on four of their ancestors being Capitanes of Malacca during the Dutch administration.
A family with long tradition, authentic nyonya food and served in a pleasant atmosphere under the kind glances of photos of ancestors. quick service. EXCELLENT FOOD
and very good value for the money
apart from a lone japanese tourist with her well worn guide book, all tables were taken by local families gorging on this great food

Favorite Dish Chicken Serai
Asan Fish
Okra
Blachan Kang Kong
Chin chou with soya bean
Sambal Tercing

cochinjew's Profile Photo
cochinjew
Sep 14, 2011
bpacker's Profile Photo

bpacker

"A Yeow Kwee (Glutton) in Melaka"
mansionion's Profile Photo

mansionion

"Melaka - The Historical City of Malaysia"
imstress's Profile Photo

imstress

"Historical Town of Melaka (Malacca)"
ukirsari's Profile Photo

ukirsari

"malacca, a smal historical city"
Azri_Azmi's Profile Photo

Azri_Azmi

"My Melaka"
View Member

Holiday Inn Melaka: Es-sence Kitchen: Good spread though quality can be improved

This restaurant is located in the Holiday Inn restaurant. As part of the stay, the hotel threw in breakfast.

There was local spread such as porridge and nasi lemak while for western, you have omelette, sausages and pancakes. Another counter served fruits and desserts.

Favorite Dish I always love my food warm. So omelette gets my pick.

Aug 02, 2011

Restoran Peranakan: Nice decor

The interior of the restaurant is beautiful. We ordered food for two person: Ayam(chicken) buah keluak(RM11), 2 additional pieces of buah keluak @ RM1.50/pc, sambal prawn with petai(stinky bean)(RM10) and belecan kang kong(RM6). The sambal prawn is good and we really liked the chilli. The ayam buah keluak tasted average but we simply loved the nutty and bitter taste of the buah keluak.

Ban Lee Siang Restaurant: Satay celup

This is our first time eating satay celup. When we reached Ban Lee Siang, we noticed that there are 2 restaurants with the same name. We saw a notice put up on the right hand side of the restaurant, declaring that both the restaurants are run independently now. They no longer supply the satay sauce to the restaurant on the left hand side and they are the original Ban Lee Siang. We decided to eat at the restaurant on the right side.

The restaurant was very crowded on a Saturday night and we waited around 20 mins to be seated. We were shown to the table where the diners had just left. The pot of satay sauce on the table was not changed and the waitress simply top up the pot with more satay sauce. We were quite surprised because it is not so hygienic. We wondered how many customers had dined at the table before us sharing the same pot of satay sauce.

Well, since we were there... we thought we might as well "eat first and think later". We proceeded to take the skewers of food from the fridge and dipped into the satay sauce. The satay sauce used for satay celup is pretty diluted and slightly spicy. The waitress stirred the sauce from the bottom of the pot constantly to prevent it from burning. Overall, the skewers of food cooked in satay sauce taste quite good.

Donald and Lily's restaurant: So-so laksa

After reading reviews about how good the laksa is, we decided to try the laksa at Lily's. The cockles were very small and the laksa seems overhyped; can't taste much of the spices. Nothing to shout about. The cendol has sago, cendol, red bean but it is quite watered down as compared to the cendol from Jonker 88. The shaved ice is a bit too coarse for my liking.

Things To Do in Melaka

Things to do

Kampung Kling Mosque

Kampung Kling Mosque can be found halfway along Jalan Tokong in Chinatown and the original wooden one was constructed in 1748, but it is not like a Middle Eastern mosque as the architectural style was...
Things to do

Princess Hang Li Poh's well

The Hang Li Poh's well was dug by an order of Sultan Mansor Shah of Melaka in 1459 especially for his wife Hang Li Poh, a Chinese princess. The water from this well was used for her daily ne

Getting to Melaka

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Restaurants. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Restaurants. Help us improve our info!

Map